Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit of Phantom V. Easy listening rock with a bloke who looks like Glenn Robbins.

Not sure what is up next, probably something a bit more aggressive.

Walked past my wife’s dressing room just now and she’s playing Quiet Riot ‘Condition Critical’. Not sure how or why.

Edit: was the boy’s Spotify playlist going.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
I've been listening to spotify's heavy metal radio a bit. Most of it's stuff I know but every so often I'll hear a band I've never even heard of before and go "Wow".

Amaranthe are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Their music is pretty far from great but its catchy and (like you said) the juxtaposed vocalists are cool. Its obviously pretty 'radio friendly' metal that could potentially get people who never listen to metal interested. For instance, a mate of mine thought they sounded good, despite - in his words - the screaming.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Amaranthe are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Their music is pretty far from great but its catchy and (like you said) the juxtaposed vocalists are cool. Its obviously pretty 'radio friendly' metal that could potentially get people who never listen to metal interested. For instance, a mate of mine thought they sounded cool despite - in his words - the screaming.

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa

Another good example of a 'guilty pleasure' type band. I think bands like Amaranthe, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Babymetal etc can provide a bit of a gateway to other forms of metal. The music doesn't really have depth and its pretty easy to digest which is not necessarily a bad thing. If im in the mood, ill listen to that stuff and even get a bit of a kick out of it too.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
I've been listening to a fair bit of Immolation recently. I'm not sure which album is my favourite but I'm giving Dawn of Possession a spin tonight and it'd be up there.

I think they did no wrong up until and including Unholy Cult. Material afterwards still good but doesn't have the same feeling to me.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I've been listening to a fair bit of Immolation recently. I'm not sure which album is my favourite but I'm giving Dawn of Possession a spin tonight and it'd be up there.

That one is a classic. Did you see them when they came out here a little while ago?

Favourite albums would be 1. Close To A World Below 2. Unholy Cult 3. Here In After

I like them all but the early albums are particularly muddy sounding which is sort of their signature sound imo.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns

Just two weeks away. Hopefully they play this.

Gonna be an interesting setlist. Only one hour each night so imagine we'll get more or less Black up your Soul/For Satan & Sacrifice type setlist with a couple of newer tracks. Satanasword is probably my favourite album, though doubt anything from it. Doing a few Metalucifer tracks on the Sunday show too - hopefully Flight of Iron Pegasus and Heavy Metal Ironfists get played. I saw Metalucifer in Singapore a few years back and they played a couple of Sabbat songs, only ones I remember were Black Metal Scythe and Black Fire. Assume Mion's Hill will be a set closer.......

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apollo Ra’s ‘Ra Pariah’.

Forgotten gem from the 80s. Slow start but when it gets going it’s superb. Fair set of pipes here - early Queensrÿche-like. Slotting in very well after Lethal’s ‘Programmed’ disc which I just had on.

Last edited:
Back