Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll probably do a list next week, but it's probably going to be a bit thin since I wasn't really listening to much for at least 6 months in the middle part of the year. But got One Tail, One Head on just now.

btw, seems like PayPal are coming down pretty hard on labels that sell NSBM stuff, there's already been 7 or 8 labels affected over the last couple of weeks. One of them closed up shop and had a massive clearance on everything.

Which labels? There are very few actual NSBM bands left anyway so would love to see the criteria.

I can't remember now to be honest. There was a thread on NWN discussing it and there was a list of them, but they nuked the thread. I'd say Darker Than Black was definitely one of them. It might not have been exclusively labels, there might have been distros on there too who are just selling NSBM related stuff. I believe it's all come about from a change in policy a few months back on PayPal's end regarding the right to terminate the accounts of those selling "hate" material. Wonder if the changes were made on the back of Alex Jones? Could be an interesting few months if this keeps up...

I always got a chuckle when people accused Goatowarex for being an NS distro yet it was run by an Asian guy out of Sydney. He was really cool. Didn't care for the themes or anything, he was just into black metal. I can understand for stuff like Der Sturmer, Sunwheel, Dark Fury etc, but this is a slippery slope that any pagan BM can just be labelled as 'NS' and that's the end of it. Drudkh/Hate Forest copped it for years early on. The world is a crazy place at the moment and groupthink is in full effect.

OK here's my "kind of best of 2018" list. With some honorable mentions. They're in no real order save for the first 3-4 which are my top listens.

Top 10
Uada
Cult of a Dying Sun
Craft White Noise and Black Metal
Immortal Northern Chaos Gods
Satan Cruel Magic
Shylmagoghnar Transience
In the Woods Cease the Day
Necrophobic Mark of the Negrogram
Ocean of Grief Nightfall's Lament
Demonical Chaos Manifesto
Harakiri for the Sky Arson

Best of the rest:
Panopticon
The Scars of Man…
Stryper God Damn Evil
1914 The Blind Leading the Blind
Jungle Rot s/t
Tomb Mold Manor of Infinite Forms
Judas Priest Firepower
Marduk Viktoria
Saxon Thunderbolt
Visgoth Conqueror's Oath
Tokyo Blade Unbroken
Outer Heaven Realms of Eternal Decay
Bloodbath The Arrow of Satan is Drawn
Khemmis Desolation
UDO Steelfactory
Metal Church Damned if you Do
Primordial Exile Amongst the Ruins
Riot V Armour of Light
Wolfheart Constellation of the Black

Stuff that just didn't really excite me like I hoped:
Lizzy Borden, LA Guns, Primal Fear, Striker, Behemoth, Amorphis, At the Gates
Nice list... no DS?

I've only heard a handful of them, I'll try check out the rest. Just listening to new Venom now.

A fair few on that list i havent listened to. I came across Uada's album the other day and its pretty great! I've been meaning to listen to In the Woods's album for a while but havent done so yet. Interesting that Behemoth didnt excite you, i really loved it! Happy to see Harakiri for the Sky in your top 10, definitely top 3-5 for me. Without being a big Immortal fan, their album definitely got my attention.

Harakiri “Fire, Walk with Me” probably my Song of the Year.

Seen them at a gig on boxing day I think it was in Germany in 2013 supporting Imperium Dekadenz. None of me and mates had heard of them before but we were all fans after watching them, great band.

Must be cool to hop over to continental Europe to check this stuff out! How are you based out of the UK? Work?

I always got a chuckle when people accused Goatowarex for being an NS distro yet it was run by an Asian guy out of Sydney. He was really cool. Didn't care for the themes or anything, he was just into black metal. I can understand for stuff like Der Sturmer, Sunwheel, Dark Fury etc, but this is a slippery slope that any pagan BM can just be labelled as 'NS' and that's the end of it. Drudkh/Hate Forest copped it for years early on. The world is a crazy place at the moment and groupthink is in full effect.

Dani Li. Met him in 05, looked your typical Chinese student (that haircut and glasses) but had a battle jacket on. Funny stuff.

Dani Li. Met him in 05, looked your typical Chinese student (that haircut and glasses) but had a battle jacket on. Funny stuff.

I never met him but had him on the old msn messenger haha. He did some distro for my old band and instead of sending cash for the sales he just operated on trade so I've got some pretty random stuff.

Yeah I didn’t mind that DS and most of it will play well live but ‘‘twas a strong year 2018 so it just missed the cut.

You’d probably enjoy Jungle Rot, Tomb Mold & Outer Heaven.
Firepower takes the cake.. honourable mentions to Tomb Mold

I never met him but had him on the old msn messenger haha. He did some distro for my old band and instead of sending cash for the sales he just operated on trade so I've got some pretty random stuff.

Yeah I used to chat with him on that as well. Never had an issue with him but he was always tardy to a friend. So my mate would get me to prompt him and sure enough, package would show up. Odd.

Yeah I didn’t mind that DS and most of it will play well live but ‘‘twas a strong year 2018 so it just missed the cut.

You’d probably enjoy Jungle Rot, Tomb Mold & Outer Heaven.

Bought that Outer Heaven but can't get past two or three songs. Starts getting too 'modern' for my liking. Tomb Mold and Jungle Rot are good albums. I've bought a lot of death metal this year and would have the Tomb Mold near the top of my list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...for which which we eagerly await. Does Witch Vomit make it?

The last ep is from 2017. Really good though. Gonna work through your list this afternoon and will check the albums I do not have.

The last ep is from 2017. Really good though. Gonna work through your list this afternoon and will check the albums I do not have.

Altars of Grief was pretty good and probably should be on my list. Horrendous, Mammoth Grinder, Monotheist & Torture Rack the others I reckon went ok. I’m not quite the DM aficionado you & others on here are though.

Going through 2018 releases now. Looking at my spreadsheet I know there are albums which I haven't given enough attention to yet (too many to mention - some aren't in this list, or are in this list and in the future may rate higher). There are also albums which I have ordered though are yet to arrive (Deceased, Sulphur Aeon, Obliteration and Chapel of Disease). I don't usually do these lists and something which is ranked in the 31 - 40 lot is just as likely to be in 5 - 20 pending my mood. Some of the higher ranked ones may be benefitting from being released later in the year and as such, are getting more airtime at the moment (maybe Corpsessed). Other releases I got later in the year may be ranked lower as I have not listened to them enough (maybe Kreigsmaschine).

I am sure I have missed some, but anyhow here's forty albums I have enjoyed over the course of the year. Being the big Dismember fan that I am, LIK was always going to be number one.

LIK - Carnage
Cardiac Arrest - A Parallel Dimension of Despair
Varathron - Patriachs of Evil
Archgoat - The Luciferian Crown
Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms
Terrorizer - Caustic Attack
Judas Priest - Firepower
Of Feather and Bone - Bestial Hymns of Perversion
Corpsessed - Impetus of Death
Funeral Mist - Hekatomb

Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouette Unhallowed
Drawn & Quartered - The One Who Lurks
Behemoth - I Loved You At Your Darkest
Monstrosity - The Passage of Existence
Satan - Cruel Magic
Innumerable Forms - Punishment in Flesh
Temple Nightside - Recondemnation
Hate Eternal - Upon Desolate Sands
Nocturnal Graves - Titan
Graham Bonnet Band - Meanwhile Back In The Garage

Marduk - Viktoria
Sleep - The Sciences
UDO - Steelfactory
Burial Invocation - Abiogenesis
Mortuous - Through Wilderness
Master's Hammer - Fascinator
Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram
Portal - ION
Michael Schenker Fest - Resurrection
Impellitteri - The Nature of the Beast

Riot - Armour of Light
Atavisma - The Chthonic Rituals
Primal Fear - Apocalypse
Sargeist - Unbound
Xibalda Itzaes - Ah Tza Xibalba Itzaes
Arsis - Visitant
Vreid - Lifehunger
Kreigsmaschine - Apoclypticists
Carnation - Chapel of Abhorrence
Abhor - Occulta Religio

OK here's my "kind of best of 2018" list. With some honorable mentions. They're in no real order save for the first 3-4 which are my top listens.

Top 10
Uada
Cult of a Dying Sun
Craft White Noise and Black Metal
Immortal Northern Chaos Gods
Satan Cruel Magic
Shylmagoghnar Transience
In the Woods Cease the Day
Necrophobic Mark of the Negrogram
Ocean of Grief Nightfall's Lament
Demonical Chaos Manifesto
Harakiri for the Sky Arson

Best of the rest:
Panopticon
The Scars of Man…
Stryper God Damn Evil
1914 The Blind Leading the Blind
Jungle Rot s/t
Tomb Mold Manor of Infinite Forms
Judas Priest Firepower
Marduk Viktoria
Saxon Thunderbolt
Visgoth Conqueror's Oath
Tokyo Blade Unbroken
Outer Heaven Realms of Eternal Decay
Bloodbath The Arrow of Satan is Drawn
Khemmis Desolation
UDO Steelfactory
Metal Church Damned if you Do
Primordial Exile Amongst the Ruins
Riot V Armour of Light
Wolfheart Constellation of the Black

Stuff that just didn't really excite me like I hoped:
Lizzy Borden, LA Guns, Primal Fear, Striker, Behemoth, Amorphis, At the Gates

Craft and Immortal probably victims of me not listening to them enough. Bloodbath maybe as well. Visigoth and Saxon could be victims of being released earlier in the year. Khemmis and Stryper not sure why, but I didn't listen to either that much (though they seemed fine). Jungle Rot probably in the same boat as Scorched, Ruin, Torture Rack, Mammoth Grinder, Grave Ritual and Extremity list for me (i.e probably should be in the list). Maybe if I did to 50 I'd fill the last ten out with the aforementioned plus more death metal.

Slipknot - Ball Is Life

Going through 2018 releases now. Looking at my spreadsheet I know there are albums which I haven't given enough attention to yet (too many to mention - some aren't in this list, or are in this list and in the future may rate higher). There are also albums which I have ordered though are yet to arrive (Deceased, Sulphur Aeon, Obliteration and Chapel of Disease). I don't usually do these lists and something which is ranked in the 31 - 40 lot is just as likely to be in 5 - 20 pending my mood. Some of the higher ranked ones may be benefitting from being released later in the year and as such, are getting more airtime at the moment (maybe Corpsessed). Other releases I got later in the year may be ranked lower as I have not listened to them enough (maybe Kreigsmaschine).

I am sure I have missed some, but anyhow here's forty albums I have enjoyed over the course of the year. Being the big Dismember fan that I am, LIK was always going to be number one.

LIK - Carnage
Cardiac Arrest - A Parallel Dimension of Despair
Varathron - Patriachs of Evil
Archgoat - The Luciferian Crown
Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms
Terrorizer - Caustic Attack
Judas Priest - Firepower
Of Feather and Bone - Bestial Hymns of Perversion
Corpsessed - Impetus of Death
Funeral Mist - Hekatomb

Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouette Unhallowed
Drawn & Quartered - The One Who Lurks
Behemoth - I Loved You At Your Darkest
Monstrosity - The Passage of Existence
Satan - Cruel Magic
Innumerable Forms - Punishment in Flesh
Temple Nightside - Recondemnation
Hate Eternal - Upon Desolate Sands
Nocturnal Graves - Titan
Graham Bonnet Band - Meanwhile Back In The Garage

Marduk - Viktoria
Sleep - The Sciences
UDO - Steelfactory
Burial Invocation - Abiogenesis
Mortuous - Through Wilderness
Master's Hammer - Fascinator
Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram
Portal - ION
Michael Schenker Fest - Resurrection
Impellitteri - The Nature of the Beast

Riot - Armour of Light
Atavisma - The Chthonic Rituals
Primal Fear - Apocalypse
Sargeist - Unbound
Xibalda Itzaes - Ah Tza Xibalba Itzaes
Arsis - Visitant
Vreid - Lifehunger
Kreigsmaschine - Apoclypticists
Carnation - Chapel of Abhorrence
Abhor - Occulta Religio

Lots on this list that I’ve not heard; clearly I’ve got some work to do. I knew that Lik would be up there. I’m a bit over that sound tbh but there’s no denying there’s more riffs per square inch on that release than you’d ever want. Plus the guy sounds so much like Johan Lindstrand (massive bonus).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back