Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a funny story Bobby Blotzer tells after Don Dokken went bezerk at him and threw him out of a party at his place the day he turned up in a brand new Trans-Am. Reckons he drove down Sunset Blvd and stops at the lights and crossing the road in front of him is Blackie Lawless. Blackie looks at him, looks at his spanking new car -and drops an elbow into the bonnet. Then walks off. Then apparently Don Dokken helped fix it for him. Funny stuff.

That is the most 80s LA Hard Rock story I've ever read, outside of The Dirt of course.

That is the most 80s LA Hard Rock story I've ever read, outside of The Dirt of course.

It gets better. Apparently some chick put a tape of Ratt’s debut on at the party and Don went batshit at Blotzer in pure jealousy (Don Dokken has a lot to do with Ratt getting a record deal. Yet Dokken remained unsigned or something). So he chucked him and his new Trans-Am out of the party.

Last edited:
Reading up and listening to a few Podcasts on the Peter Falconio disappearance. Intriguing stuff. I reckon they got the right guy but there’s a whole ‘missing’ backstory around how they all came to ‘run into’ one another out there in the middle of nowhere we’ve not been told. Not a chance meeting at all. And who moved the fricken kombi van off the road?

Reading up and listening to a few Podcasts on the Peter Falconio disappearance. Intriguing stuff. I reckon they got the right guy but there’s a whole ‘missing’ backstory around how they all came to ‘run into’ one another out there in the middle of nowhere we’ve not been told. Not a chance meeting at all. And who moved the fricken kombi van off the road?

Watched a couple shows on this a few years back. Whole thing is suss. Wasn’t the truck driver at a servo in his Ute a couple hundred kms away or something? I can’t remember the details anymore but just remember watching it and thinking there was more to the story too.

Can someone give me a run down on WASP? What's essential and what's worth avoiding etc.
I've always avoided anything slightly hair metal but they seem to have a harder edge and I've probably been missing out.

Can someone give me a run down on WASP? What's essential and what's worth avoiding etc.
I've always avoided anything slightly hair metal but they seem to have a harder edge and I've probably been missing out.

W.A.S.P. were (are) a unique proposition. I always thought they owed more to European-influenced metal than the LA scene, but the fact they came from around the Sunset Blvd meant they were lumped in with those guys. It's been written before that they were too hard for the LA crowd but too soft for the San Francisco Bay Area guys. Line up Ratt's hit "Round and Round" (1984) next to WASP's "Hellion" or "School Daze" (1984) and you'll get the picture. Chalk and cheese musically. WASP were also big and ugly. There was nothing pretty about them at all.

Stage shows always courted controversy - whether it be throwing out raw meat, drinking blood from skulls, heads-on-pitchforks, Blackie's fire-shooting cod piece, chained up girl slaves dancing on stage or the pr0n infested video backdrops of the KFD (Kill * Die) tour.

And of course for years they were (in)famous for the debut single Animal (* Like a Beast) which the record company refused to include on the album. A song like that was a big deal back then. It was released as a stand alone single and impossible to get (down here anyway), although a mate of mine somehow got it on a pigs-head picture disk. Would be worth a bit now that picture disc I imagine. So there was an element of danger to them that (maybe early Crue had) but not many others from that scene conveyed convincingly.

Musically, they came out of the blocks firing with the debut in '84. Heavier, darker & meaner than anything coming from the US scene. They toured with Maiden and dropped elbows on newly purchased car bonnets (ha ha - see above). You'd be safe trying their first 5 albums but I'd start with the debut. The middle period was dominated by Blackie's vision of being taken more seriously so albums like Still Not Black Enough, Unholy Terror, Dying for the World and The Neon God Pts 1 & 2 are all similar in sound (trebly and mid-rangy production!!) and approach. There's some nuggets of gold in there - particularly on Unholy Terror and Dying for the World. KFD was industrial-metal and pretty awful.

To cut a long story short, I would kinda group them into the following buckets. Deathy will have his own views on this band no doubt.

Essential:
First 5 albums
Golgotha (their most recent album)

Good and worthy of exploring:
Dying for the World
Unholy Terror
LIVE in the RAW
Double Live Assassins (very good this one)
Still Not Black Enough

The rest.....

Last edited:
W.A.S.P. were (are) a unique proposition. I always thought they owed more to European-influenced metal than the LA scene, but the fact they came from around the Sunset Blvd meant they were lumped in with those guys. It's been written before that they were too hard for the LA crowd but too soft for the San Francisco Bay Area guys. Line up Ratt's hit "Round and Round" (1984) next to WASP's "Hellion" or "School Daze" (1984) and you'll get the picture. Chalk and cheese musically. WASP were also big and ugly. There was nothing pretty about them at all.

Stage shows always courted controversy - whether it be throwing out raw meat, drinking blood from skulls, heads-on-pitchforks, Blackie's fire-shooting cod piece, chained up girl slaves dancing on stage or the pr0n infested video backdrops of the KFD (Kill **** Die) tour.

And of course for years they were (in)famous for the debut single Animal (**** Like a Beast) which the record company refused to include on the album. A song like that was a big deal back then. It was released as a stand alone single and impossible to get (down here anyway), although a mate of mine somehow got it on a pigs-head picture disk. Would be worth a bit now that picture disc I imagine. So there was an element of danger to them that (maybe early Crue had) but not many others from that scene conveyed convincingly.

Musically, they came out of the blocks firing with the debut in '84. Heavier, darker & meaner than anything coming from the US scene. They toured with Maiden and dropped elbows on newly purchased car bonnets (ha ha - see above). You'd be safe trying their first 5 albums but I'd start with the debut. The middle period was dominated by Blackie's vision of being taken more seriously so albums like Still Not Black Enough, Unholy Terror, Dying for the World and The Neon God Pts 1 & 2 are all similar in sound (trebly and mid-rangy production!!) and approach. There's some nuggets of gold in there - particularly on Unholy Terror and Dying for the World. KFD was industrial-metal and pretty awful.

To cut a long story short, I would kinda group them into the following buckets. Deathy will have his own views on this band no doubt.

Essential:
First 5 albums
Golgotha (their most recent album)

Good and worthy of exploring:
Dying for the World
Unholy Terror
LIVE in the RAW
Double Live Assassins (very good this one)
Still Not Black Enough

The rest.....

Amazing run down, much appreciated! I think I'll just start at the beginning and work my way through the first 5.
What was the deal with the Crimson Idol album? Did they re-record it or something similar?

Amazing run down, much appreciated! I think I'll just start at the beginning and work my way through the first 5.
What was the deal with the Crimson Idol album? Did they re-record it or something similar?

Yes for its 25th anniversary they re-imagined it. You don’t need it. Original is perfect.

My personal faves are the debut, The Last Command and The Headless Children (their heaviest album.... title track, Thunderhead, Mean Man, Neutron Bomber all classics). Their latest Golgotha is brilliant.

I think the suss thing about the whole ordeal was with Joanne Lees, I never really believed she was telling a truthful version of events for whatever reason. She just looked unconvincing whenever I seen her. Weren't there loads of inconsistencies in her stories? Can't remember what they were, but not sure how she managed to free herself from being tied up and escape. Guess we'll never know.

Yeah she sure didn't help herself did she. Initially refusing to come back to Australia once she left, even for the trial. Didn't help when the defence outed the fact she'd been having an affair with a guy here in Australia (and had made arrangements via email to meet him in the weeks after Falconio's disappearance) during the trial. She changed a lot of her statements after time (eg the type of dog her attacker had with him, how she got into the back of the tray, described him as 175cm - 180cm tall yet Murdoch was 6’4 and even dismissed that grainy footage of Murdoch from the petrol station on first showing, claiming it didn't look like her attacker. Later on she agreed it did). I reckon you've gotta cut the girl some slack though, clearly in shock and her disdain for the NT Police was probably pretty fair given how shitty a job they did until the investigation was handed over to someone else for a fresh look.

Last edited:
Watched a couple shows on this a few years back. Whole thing is suss. Wasn’t the truck driver at a servo in his Ute a couple hundred kms away or something? I can’t remember the details anymore but just remember watching it and thinking there was more to the story too.

There's little doubt it was Murdoch in the pictures at the servo - even his dad called him after they were put all over the TV and asked why he was seeing him on tv. His girlfriend & roommate also confirmed they thought it was him the minute they saw the footage too.

Interestingly though Lees told investigators that it wasn't her attacker on first viewing.

And given she said Falconio was shot at close range and killed behind the kombi, at the scene the aboriginal trackers found her tracks and the kombi van tracks straight away (claiming it was very easy to find human tracks) yet not a single track of anyone else - apparently not even dragging a body left anything. Police found no traces of bullet fragments, none of Falconio's tissue where a bullet entered/exited his body - nothing. Not even in Murdoch's van was there anything. A small amount of blood which had mysteriously been mixed with animal blood on the road. And that's it! And someone came back and moved the kombi van about 80 metres. Just weirdness everywhere in this one.

Anaal nathrakh touring in March, very happy days!

Wasnt a huge fan of their most recent release, but very big on some of their other stuff. Looking forward to this one!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amorphis - Under the Red Cloud. I ditched them on their third album and picked this up recently. Decent album for when I need something a little more laid back. Will continue going through their discography.

Love this album, Skyforger, Eclipse and Circle.

Edit: Silent Waters good too!!

Last edited:
This is always my fave amorphis tune

Elergy is the great and the greatest.

Even better is travelling around finland and heading to a bar and hearing the heavy version of my kantele followed by sentenced....love finland

Anaal nathrakh touring in March, very happy days!

Wasnt a huge fan of their most recent release, but very big on some of their other stuff. Looking forward to this one!

Forging Towards The Sunset rips. My favourite of theirs is "Between s**t and Piss We Are Born"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back