Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
West Coast
Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia

This has been a while.
Great album. Arcturus were way better pre cosmic circus bullshit.

Currently thoroughly enjoying Tomb Mold's Manor of Infinite Forms. I kinda liken it to High on Fire- not that the two sound sonically similar- but moreso in how Tomb Mold don't really sound like anyone in particular, despite still being a very much riff driven death metal band. Really fun listen.

Other stuff I've been enjoying is Ripper's Experiment of Existence, high quality Chilean thrash, and Eternal Champion's Armor of Ire for some particularly atmospheric trad heavy metal. So much cool shit out the last few years, I'm still catching up.

Dee Snider

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood

Currently thoroughly enjoying Tomb Mold's Manor of Infinite Forms. I kinda liken it to High on Fire- not that the two sound sonically similar- but moreso in how Tomb Mold don't really sound like anyone in particular, despite still being a very much riff driven death metal band. Really fun listen.

Other stuff I've been enjoying is Ripper's Experiment of Existence, high quality Chilean thrash, and Eternal Champion's Armor of Ire for some particularly atmospheric trad heavy metal. So much cool shit out the last few years, I'm still catching up.
Tomb Mold to Eternal Champion leaves plenty of ‘discovery’ room in between. I think EC includes the two Sumerlands guitarists? Be nice if they put out something new. Did you check them out?

AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I tried Sumerland. It’s ok but has the same problem as Briton Rites (both bands have the same vocalist), which is that the riffs are great but the vocals are shiiiiit

Dee Snider

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I tried Sumerland. It’s ok but has the same problem as Briton Rites (both bands have the same vocalist), which is that the riffs are great but the vocals are shiiiiit
Wow. I actually really like the vocals. Oh well, each to their own.

Edit: I agree, his voice isn’t a great fit on that Briton Rites album. It’s perfect for Sumerlands.

Last edited:

deathevocation

Coffee. Football. Metal.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Thread starter #4,859

Some good stuff mentioned here. I think Tomb Mold's riffing is quite unique - the verse riff on 'They Grow Inside' is a great example of it. I'd be interested to know what sort of music Derrick Vella listens to as I imagine he has a broad range and isn't interested in just rehashing the same old same old. Guess I should look for some interviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dee Snider

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spent the arvo installing shelves in the garage ...... for my cd collection....

One of them was....

Hail garage metal!

I’m really looking forward to Songs of the Dead Live this year. King sounds to be singing as well as ever now.

Conspiracy is my pick of the KD material. I know Abigail (Fatal Portrait?) gets the ‘nod’ in many circles as the ultimate King but I just ‘feel’ Conspiracy more. It’s a more ‘accessible’ collection of songs. I remember buying The Eye and being disappointed with it. Not so much now but back then I didn’t like it. Funny how that happens.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Got myself the Justice box set. It's gonna take forever to get through everything. The Black Album box will be as big as a house too the way they're going.
Killer set, isn't it? **** man, Metallica were absolutely untouchable circa 86-89. The live stuff in that set is awesome, and the early ideas are pretty cool. I have a deep and abiding relationship with AJFA in general, changed my life, this weird old album with long ass songs and strange production.

I would do horrible, horrible things to go back in time and see Metallica circa '88.

Not entirely sure I'm gonna get the black album set but I reckon I'll get Load. It's just a really bizarre era and I'm fairly fond of a few songs on it.

Magus

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Killer set, isn't it? **** man, Metallica were absolutely untouchable circa 86-89. The live stuff in that set is awesome, and the early ideas are pretty cool. I have a deep and abiding relationship with AJFA in general, changed my life, this weird old album with long ass songs and strange production.

I would do horrible, horrible things to go back in time and see Metallica circa '88.

Not entirely sure I'm gonna get the black album set but I reckon I'll get Load. It's just a really bizarre era and I'm fairly fond of a few songs on it.
I'm with you. Even after long stretches of not listening to Justice, it's still comfortably my favourite album of all time. Everything came together for it - the sound, the artwork, the themes, even the way the band looked in promo shots. It has a dark aura about it and is extra aggressive, probably due in part to the loss of Cliff.
That Seattle '89 gig is just incredible. A perfect example of a band at the peak of their powers. Hetfield is untouchable as a frontman in terms of stage presence and charisma. Stoked that they pressed it to vinyl. My only gripe, and it's a pretty small thing to complain about, there's no Eye of the Beholder artwork anywhere even though Harvester, Straw and One are presented in one form or another. I like that artwork so it's a shame they didn't make it into a patch or poster or something.

A Black Album set would be worth it for the live stuff of the period imo. They were pretty incredible still from 91-93.

deathevocation

Coffee. Football. Metal.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Thread starter #4,871
Care to rank the KD albums?
For me probably;

1. Con/The Eye (see earlier)
2. Abigail/Them (production on Them a little offputting overwise both classics)
3. FP (make sure have cd copy with The Lake)
4. TSL (first half is sensational - vintage KD)
5. HOG/TPM (HOG probably a better album but I love a lot on TPM (which weakens as it goes along). Magic one of the best songs by KD.
6. Voodoo (has some real hightpoints - love the tempo change into solo on LOA house)
7. The Graveyard (actually listened to this quite a bit when it was released)
8. Abigail 2/GMYSP (neither really got repeat listens)

go hawks!!!

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
The Eye is No.1 for me, I was mad into witchcraft and this one hit the spot. The lyrics and story is amazing, and god knows how many times I have played that CD.

Conspiracy is No.2 - just crazy storytelling.

Abigail is great, will need to have another listen.

When I lived in NYC, I was lucky on the first weekend that I moved there, my two fav bands were playing the same night at BB Kings.... Moonspell supported by Katatonia. What a dream.... I ended up going to about 6 of their shows. Well, I had tickets to my dream gig .... KD, however he cancelled his concert due to a back injury (was 2007 from memory) - I was devastated and to this day have never seen him live

Dee Snider

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's my take, by rights TSL deserves to be way up but there's just so much quality that its hard to justify dropping anything below it.

1. Conspiracy - used to have the t-shirt....damn I wish I had kept it
2. Fatal Portrait (I've go the vinyl and also the Roadrunner Remaster with “No Presents....” and "The Lake)
3. Abigail (3 seconds into "Arrival" and I knew this was gonna be good. The Possession, 7th Day of July 1777; Title track; A Mansion in Darkness; King's voice is incredible; Production is spot on.) & The Eye (have grown to love this)
4. Spider's Lullaby - I reckon this one slips through so underrated (Six Feet Under, The Poltergeist, Moonlight, From the Other Side, Killer...man oh man).
5. Them
6. Voodoo (quite like the production on this)
7. Abigail II (The Storm & Miriam both Rock)
8. The Puppet Master - agree Magic is a damn classic. One of my all time fav KD songs.
9. House of God/GMYSP/The Graveyard - nothing here really interests me

Last edited:
Top Bottom