Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dee Snider

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been outside doing some work which has been made all the more enjoyable by my Bluetooth speaker and the always delivering Falconer. The debut is a real favourite. Great riffs, chunky metallic production, quality songwriting. Geekiest lyric award of all time goes to ‘Lord of the Blacksmiths’ but with tunes this strong its impossible not to jump right in.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Baggy Green, Storm, Celtic F.C.
Foreigner are one of my favourite guilty pleasures!
Same here, and it surprises a lot of people who know my normal listening tastes that I have a thing for a lot of 80s pop and mainstream rock (80s metal obviously comprises a lot of the normal listening tastes for the regulars in this thread).

Actually saw them in 07 I think at The Palais. Not with Lou Gramm obviously. But it was still a fun show.

Dee Snider

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Same here, and it surprises a lot of people who know my normal listening tastes that I have a thing for a lot of 80s pop and mainstream rock (80s metal obviously comprises a lot of the normal listening tastes for the regulars in this thread).

Actually saw them in 07 I think at The Palais. Not with Lou Gramm obviously. But it was still a fun show.
Loverboy, Survivor, Robert Tepper, REO Speedwagon, Heart. All worthy of guilty pleasure status in my book.

deathevocation

Coffee. Football. Metal.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Thread starter #4,884

My non metal listening habits are dominated by punk/hc, but don't mind 70s/80s AOR (Foreigner, Toto etc) and some country (Hank Jnr, Highwaymen, Jennings etc). Have a small amount of 80s pop (Electric Dreams soundtrack, first A-Ha, The Hooters second album, The Cars among others).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
West Coast
A Black Album set would be worth it for the live stuff of the period imo. They were pretty incredible still from 91-93.
Yeah you aren't wrong, they kept a decent amount of fury for a while post-black. But, and I think I speak for everyone on this thread, I am completely comfortable never ever having to hearing Sandman again. Or even the boring ass chug fest that's Sad But True

...as you can probs tell I am all up for discussing Metallica in ear bleeding detail. I don't think they're my favourite band anymore but it's hard to understate how important they were in high school, etc etc.

jooce8891

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
Killer set, isn't it? **** man, Metallica were absolutely untouchable circa 86-89. The live stuff in that set is awesome, and the early ideas are pretty cool. I have a deep and abiding relationship with AJFA in general, changed my life, this weird old album with long ass songs and strange production.

I would do horrible, horrible things to go back in time and see Metallica circa '88.

Not entirely sure I'm gonna get the black album set but I reckon I'll get Load. It's just a really bizarre era and I'm fairly fond of a few songs on it.
The Outlaw Torn is one of metallicas most underrated songs because its on Load, disappointing really.

deathevocation

Coffee. Football. Metal.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Thread starter #4,893
I turned off Metallica when the Black album was released. I get that they wanted to simplify things after AJFA etc and have a crack at writing a radio friendly album. But what they became after that, the music they produced, what they represent etc - I have no idea. Whilst I own all the albums save for St Anger and Lulu (never listen to them unless they are played at the gym), I sometimes wonder if they lost the passion and just produced albums every few years for the **** of it? Where did the creativity go? Where's the late career jewel that most bands are capable of? I guess Death Magnetic and Hardwired are on par quality wise with later Slayer/Megadeth (i.e. inoffensive and not memorable). Hopefully they tour here again in the not so far future and do something similar to Maiden insofar the setlist is based off the AJFA tour.

Dee Snider

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gets shitcanned a fair bit but I like it. They were good live too.
Yup I don't have a problem with them, seem alright and decent live too. But it's pretty fashionable to hate on them at the moment.
People need to clear their ears out. The sheep-like Groupthink on some website forums is staggering. It’s a fantastic album.

Ed_Gein

You are nex !
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm
People need to clear their ears out. The sheep-like Groupthink on some website forums is staggering. It’s a fantastic album.
You're right. Mgla seems to be the new fashionable one to hate over on NWN, don't understand that because so-called 'hipsters' begin to like a band they instantly become unlikeable. I guess some have a percieved kvlt status they want to preserve. ;)

jooce8891

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
I turned off Metallica when the Black album was released. I get that they wanted to simplify things after AJFA etc and have a crack at writing a radio friendly album. But what they became after that, the music they produced, what they represent etc - I have no idea. Whilst I own all the albums save for St Anger and Lulu (never listen to them unless they are played at the gym), I sometimes wonder if they lost the passion and just produced albums every few years for the **** of it? Where did the creativity go? Where's the late career jewel that most bands are capable of? I guess Death Magnetic and Hardwired are on par quality wise with later Slayer/Megadeth (i.e. inoffensive and not memorable). Hopefully they tour here again in the not so far future and do something similar to Maiden insofar the setlist is based off the AJFA tour.
i have ZERO clue what they were thinking with the Lulu album. But yeah Load, Reload and st anger most of the songs are terrible but there are some hidden gems in all 3 (Fixxxer, TOT...)
tbf, death magnetic is easily their best album since AJFA bar none.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Baggy Green, Storm, Celtic F.C.
Yeah you aren't wrong, they kept a decent amount of fury for a while post-black. But, and I think I speak for everyone on this thread, I am completely comfortable never ever having to hearing Sandman again. Or even the boring ass chug fest that's Sad But True

...as you can probs tell I am all up for discussing Metallica in ear bleeding detail. I don't think they're my favourite band anymore but it's hard to understate how important they were in high school, etc etc.
Good point. One of the values of Metallica is that they are the epitome of the gateway band. I got into them when I first started listening to music, but very quickly gravitated towards their early stuff rather than what they were putting out at that time (this was about the time of Reload). Then I started checking out their contemporaries in Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, etc, which then spread out to extreme metal with some backfilling for prog, doom, etc. But referring to Metallica as a gateway band is by no means to discount their own catalog; KEA-RTL-MOP-AJFA are amazing, and really encapsulate that creative energy deathevocation referred to above. There's not many bands that can boast such a string of four albums in a row that are all landmarks in their own right, and each is very different from the other (AJFA is also in my desert island list).

Magus

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Metallica might have changed a lot in the studio in the 90s but their live shows have always been solid and they kept playing old material. The deviation from the band they were wasn't actually that striking in that respect.
If you don't experiment at least a little bit though then you run the risk of going down the AC/DC/Maiden/Motorhead/Slayer path of being entirely predictable. That's fine if you have no interest in taking risks but I don't think they're too interested in always releasing the same album. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but I've never thought their change in sound was a direct ploy to be on the radio.

Top Bottom