Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Shut down roughly 15 years ago. I think it might have changed hands towards the end as the quality of stock dropped right off. Was great when I first started going there though, used to be the only place to find Cannibal Corpse with the uncensored artwork amongst other stuff you wouldn't see anywhere else.
The Thrash or F@rk Off vids are really good, watched them both yesterday. Cheers!
What was the scene like in Adelaide early on?

The Thrash or F@rk Off vids are really good, watched them both yesterday. Cheers!
What was the scene like in Adelaide early on?

All the good stuff happened well before my time but the best local stuff was always what Damon and Denny were doing ie. Cauldron Black Ram and Stargazer.
Armageddon Adelaide was excellent when that was going.

OK here it is, the "Best of 2019" you've all been waiting for. Top 3 are clear, the rest not ordered. Thank me later.

Top 3:

1. Pulchra Morte: Divine Autem Et Aniles

Their 2018 cover of Paradise Lost's "The Painless" piqued my interest and 'Divine Autem Et Aniles' certainly brings lots of Gothic-era PL influence to the table. Transcribed as "Beautiful Death: Godless and Divine"", this is a massive sounding album providing a really good blend of death, doom, groove and atmospheric guitar harmonies (strongly reminiscent of Paradise Lost's Gothic album). Subtle hints of Bolt Thrower too. The album pacing is superb, songs and sounds getting the time to breath they deserve. Death doom 90s style hasn't been done this well since.....well the 90s. One of my favourite releases of the year:

Choice Cuts: "Give No More" & "Black Ritual"

2. Wormwitch: Heaven That Dwells Within.
Melodic, folk-tinged black metal with a really strong grounding in traditional metal. Weird combination on paper but the application results in one of 2019's best releases. Worship the riff. Worship the feel. Worship the atmosphere. A beautiful album and superb album cover. Wonderful production. Notable influence from Tribulation, Emperor and Watain, but built on your basic heavy metal platform.

Choice Cuts: "Disciple of the Serpent Star", "Vernal Womb”, “Two Halves" & "Dancing in the Ashes"

3. Idle Hands: Mana:
When speed metal band Spellcaster disbanded in 2017, three of the five members formed Idle Hands. Hard to describe them - a witchy fusion of mid-’80s goth and post-punk with classic heavy metal roar (some nice dueling guitar harmonies) —with just the right amount of gloomy overspray. I may have said this before but if any new band deserves to be massive it's Idle Hands. This album appears on so many 'best of' lists I've flicked through this year its not funny. Possibly the best collection of individual songs I have heard in years.

Choice cuts: "Double Negative", "Dragon, Why Do You Cry?", "A Single Solemn Rose", "Jackie (with it's Paradise Lost inspired solo) and "Give Me to the Night".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obsiquiae: The Palms of Sorrowed Kings., Following on from 2015's ' Aria of Vernal Tombs', Palms of Sorrowed Kings contains all the spellbinding medieval-folky melody you could hope for. Possibly a little more mature/focused than its predecessor. A couple of tracks "Ceres in Emerald Streams" and the title track are destined to become 'classics. One of those albums you can put on, close your eyes and drift off and forget where you are. Such a unique band with an amazing sound. One of the year’s best.

Alcest: Spiritual Instinct. These guys can do no wrong in my eyes. A really strong follow-up to Kodama. A bittersweet melancholy with some blastbeats and shrieks thrown in, the quality of songs like "Protection", "Les jardins de minuit" & "Sapphire" guarantee repeat listens for years to come. Superb.

Borknagar: True North; The album of their career. A near perfect blend of folk, black and progressive metal. I was disappointed when Vintersorg departed but Lars & ICS Vortex in particular deliver an amazing vocal performance here. The production is perfect. Album cover of the year too.
Choice Cuts: "True North" & "Thunderous".

Stormwarrior Norsemen: These guys fly under the radar (6 albums since their '98 formation) to all but the most ardent followers of Helloween, Running Wild and early Maiden. Not a lot of variety on this album, it’s pretty much speed, gallop and more speed. The vocals of Lars Ramcke are just perfect for this band. Probably doesn't contain the individual highlights (song-wise) of a couple of other albums but it’s an improvement over the ultra-processed guitar sound of 2014's "Thunder and Steel". Would like a little more bottom-end next album.
Choice Cuts: "Sword of the North", "Odin's Fire” & "Freeborn".

Tomb Mold: Planetary Clairvoyance
One review put it best: "Sludgy, warped death metal is interspersed with tempo and rhythm changes, Carcass-like grooves, exquisitely cacophonous guitar leads and solos, and brutally fast technical sections." Great stuff.
Choice cuts: "Accelerative Phenomenae" + "Beg for Life"

Vorna: Sateet Palata Saavat: Translated to English as "the rains will return"; one of the highlights of an ever- crowded Finnish metal scene, combining folk elements and traditional blackened shrieks into a medley of melodeath and atmospheric black metal. Choice Cuts: "Maa martona makaai" or "Syvyydet".

Tygers of Pan Tang: Ritual. That's two from two. 2016's self-titled and now the follow up Ritual. Superb late-career highlights. Jacopo Meille is surely one of the best melodic-hard rock vocalists going around (alongside Axel Rudi Pell's Johnny Giolli). Folks, we are not reinventing the wheel here; and like the proceeding disc, 'Ritual' nails two of the most basic principles of enjoyable hard rock - genuinely good 'songs' and superb production. These guys are on a roll. Choice cuts: "Love Will Find a Way" (an 80s inspired melodic metal masterpiece); "White Lines” & "Destiny".

Next Best:

Yellow Eyes: Rare Field Ceiling. New York Black Metallers paying homage to the old school. Vocals and the 'Do it yourself' production kill on this. Awesome discovery. Choice Cuts: "Warmth Trance Reversal" or the rolling-riffery of “No Dust".

Riot City: Burn the Night. The album cover screams Priest (and also Icon's 1984 debut). Painkiller/Screaming/Defenders-Priest at that. Warrior of Night kicks things off with some seriously delicious speed metal and the rest delivers (the goods) in a big way. Fans of Riot, Priest, Stryker, RAM should lap this up.
Choice Cuts: Warrior of Time" & "Livin' Fast".

Funeral Storm: Arcane Mysteries
Greek black metal built on a strong traditional heavy metal platform (similar to Wormwitch). Beautifully sounding album which benefits from intelligent compositions and well-paced delivery, allowing each song to breath. Highly recommended.

Notable mentions:

Spirit Adrift: Divided by Darkness
Haunt: If Icarus Could Fly
Witch Vomit: Buried Deep in a Bottomless Grave
Nitrate: Open Wide
Twisted Tower Dire: Wars into the Unknown
Fen: The Dead Light
MGLA: Age of Excuse
Mayhem: Daemon
Nocturnus AD: Paradox
Sabaton: The Great War

EP of the Year:
Sodom: In the Trenches

Song(s) of the Year:
Up North (Borknagar)
Les jardins de minuit (Alcest)
Ceres in Emerald Streams (Obsiquiae)
Moonglow (Avantasia/Candice Night)

Biggest piles of s**t of 2019
Motley Crue - 3 of the 4 songs released to coincide with awesome biopic 'The Dirt'. B-Grade Sixx: AM leftovers at best. Does DJ Ashba write all their music now?

Ozzy Osbourne's two new songs. Jeez Sharon really mis-read the temperature of the room here. Proof once and for all that you DO NOT involve non-metal people in writing or producing your music. Fail on every level.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only adel metal band i really know is truth coroded....

Beyond Mortal Dreams, Cauldron Black Ram, Chalice, Darklord, Hydromedusa, Oni, Raven Black Knight, Stargazer, Miserys Omen, Mournful Congregation, Tzun Tzu, Captain Cleanoff, Martire

To name a few.

Two of my favourites:

Last edited:
d3d853b5f6d0ce276dd2dc6a3db4799b.jpg
Eat*

I enjoyed in:extremis back in the day, their 'reservoir dogs' ep was a cracker
#yayaradelaide
Im sure there was a music shop down norrh adel way and we hit it up one day and mark from inextremis was sitting in the back packing those cds up from memory
Was also the day i scored the superhesit demo on cassette

Beyond Mortal Dreams, Cauldron Black Ram, Chalice, Darklord, Hydromedusa, Oni, Raven Black Knight, Stargazer, Miserys Omen, Mournful Congregation, Tzun Tzu, Captain Cleanoff, Martire

To name a few.

Two of my favourites:

Also ive been out that scene since warly 95ish maybe 96ish
Embodiment was another
Blood sucking freaks
Nemesis
Looong time ago now

OK here it is, the "Best of 2019" you've all been waiting for. Top 3 are clear, the rest not ordered. Thank me later.

Top 3:

Their 2018 cover of Paradise Lost's "The Painless" piqued my interest and 'Divine Autem Et Aniles' certainly brings lots of Gothic-era PL influence to the table. Transcribed as "Beautiful Death: Godless and Divine"", this is a massive sounding album providing a really good blend of death, doom, groove and atmospheric guitar harmonies (strongly reminiscent of Paradise Lost's Gothic album). Subtle hints of Bolt Thrower too. The album pacing is superb, songs and sounds getting the time to breath they deserve. Death doom 90s style hasn't been done this well since.....well the 90s. One of my favourite releases of the year:

Melodic, folk-tinged black metal with a really strong grounding in traditional metal. Weird combination on paper but the application results in one of 2019's best releases. Worship the riff. Worship the feel. Worship the atmosphere. A beautiful album and superb album cover. Wonderful production. Notable influence from Tribulation, Emperor and Watain, but built on your basic heavy metal platform.

Choice Cuts: "Disciple of the Serpent Star", "Vernal Womb”, “Two Halves" & "Dancing in the Ashes"

When speed metal band Spellcaster disbanded in 2017, three of the five members formed Idle Hands. Hard to describe them - a witchy fusion of mid-’80s goth and post-punk with classic heavy metal roar (some nice dueling guitar harmonies) —with just the right amount of gloomy overspray. I may have said this before but if any new band deserves to be massive it's Idle Hands. This album appears on so many 'best of' lists I've flicked through this year its not funny. Possibly the best collection of individual songs I have heard in years.

Choice cuts: "Double Negative", "Dragon, Why Do You Cry?", "A Single Solemn Rose", "Jackie (with it's Paradise Lost inspired solo) and "Give Me to the Night".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obsiquiae: The Palms of Sorrowed Kings., Following on from 2015's ' Aria of Vernal Tombs', Palms of Sorrowed Kings contains all the spellbinding medieval-folky melody you could hope for. Possibly a little more mature/focused than its predecessor. A couple of tracks "Ceres in Emerald Streams" and the title track are destined to become 'classics. One of those albums you can put on, close your eyes and drift off and forget where you are. Such a unique band with an amazing sound. One of the year’s best.

Alcest: Spiritual Instinct. These guys can do no wrong in my eyes. A really strong follow-up to Kodama. A bittersweet melancholy with some blastbeats and shrieks thrown in, the quality of songs like "Protection", "Les jardins de minuit" & "Sapphire" guarantee repeat listens for years to come. Superb.

Borknagar: True North; The album of their career. A near perfect blend of folk, black and progressive metal. I was disappointed when Vintersorg departed but Lars & ICS Vortex in particular deliver an amazing vocal performance here. The production is perfect. Album cover of the year too.

Stormwarrior Norsemen: These guys fly under the radar (6 albums since their '98 formation) to all but the most ardent followers of Helloween, Running Wild and early Maiden. Not a lot of variety on this album, it’s pretty much speed, gallop and more speed. The vocals of Lars Ramcke are just perfect for this band. Probably doesn't contain the individual highlights (song-wise) of a couple of other albums but it’s an improvement over the ultra-processed guitar sound of 2014's "Thunder and Steel". Would like a little more bottom-end next album.

One review put it best: "Sludgy, warped death metal is interspersed with tempo and rhythm changes, Carcass-like grooves, exquisitely cacophonous guitar leads and solos, and brutally fast technical sections." Great stuff.

Vorna: Sateet Palata Saavat: Translated to English as "the rains will return"; one of the highlights of an ever- crowded Finnish metal scene, combining folk elements and traditional blackened shrieks into a medley of melodeath and atmospheric black metal. Choice Cuts: "Maa martona makaai" or "Syvyydet".

Tygers of Pan Tang: Ritual. That's two from two. 2016's self-titled and now the follow up Ritual. Superb late-career highlights. Jacopo Meille is surely one of the best melodic-hard rock vocalists going around (alongside Axel Rudi Pell's Johnny Giolli). Folks, we are not reinventing the wheel here; and like the proceeding disc, 'Ritual' nails two of the most basic principles of enjoyable hard rock - genuinely good 'songs' and superb production. These guys are on a roll. Choice cuts: "Love Will Find a Way" (an 80s inspired melodic metal masterpiece); "White Lines” & "Destiny".

Next Best:

Yellow Eyes: Rare Field Ceiling. New York Black Metallers paying homage to the old school. Vocals and the 'Do it yourself' production kill on this. Awesome discovery. Choice Cuts: "Warmth Trance Reversal" or the rolling-riffery of “No Dust".

Riot City: Burn the Night. The album cover screams Priest (and also Icon's 1984 debut). Painkiller/Screaming/Defenders-Priest at that. Warrior of Night kicks things off with some seriously delicious speed metal and the rest delivers (the goods) in a big way. Fans of Riot, Priest, Stryker, RAM should lap this up.

Greek black metal built on a strong traditional heavy metal platform (similar to Wormwitch). Beautifully sounding album which benefits from intelligent compositions and well-paced delivery, allowing each song to breath. Highly recommended.

Notable mentions:

EP of the Year:

Song(s) of the Year:
Up North (Borknagar)

Motley Crue - 3 of the 4 songs released to coincide with awesome biopic 'The Dirt'. B-Grade Sixx: AM leftovers at best. Does DJ Ashba write all their music now?

Ozzy Osbourne's two new songs. Jeez Sharon really mis-read the temperature of the room here. Proof once and for all that you DO NOT involve non-metal people in writing or producing your music. Fail on every level.

Top 3:

Next Best:

Notable mentions:

EP of the Year:

Song(s) of the Year:
Up North (Borknagar)

liking the mention of moonglow in your songs of the year.

Verandah Music was the go to place in SA
George and his mrs run the joint...im guessing it shut down once streaming etc became popular
I rememebr thinking about heading in to town for a visit for the first time in a over a decade and someone said it had been shut for years

Where was that?

Used to be at the start of rundle street on the target side
Then i remember they were in a biggish arcade area but for the life of me cant remember where
The shop had glass external walls i think
I think big star was over the road and down a bit further

Then there was one where youd turn right at the chemist in the mall and go down to the next street, cross the road and there was a record joint on the left downstairs...id ask him if he had any live stuff and be would always pull Metallica cd bootlegs from under the counter
Always doubles and i scored a triple once, decent packaging
Had a kiss pinny down there too from memory
Then there was a record joint on bank street that always had some good vinyl

Then the metal shop up the other end of town
For some reason i wanna say it was down where Tans the martial arts shop used to be....the end where the original Trimms was

Im sure there was a music shop down norrh adel way and we hit it up one day and mark from inextremis was sitting in the back packing those cds up from memory
Was also the day i scored the superhesit demo on cassette
Looked it up, first time ive heard it for ages (still have cd somewhere), this one's a cracker. Good blokes too, cant remember names but saw and played at a few shows with them mid-90's in sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back