Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's gonna get this?

Would love to, even with all the double ups, but price is the issue...that'll probably be $800AUD.

New Mayhem EP goes alright

I'm a bit behind on this, which is not like me with Mayhem. Been meaning to get around to it soon.

deathevocation I'm checking out that new Drawn and Quartered you recommended. Am loving it so far, but I can see why you mentioned the production. The drums, bass, and rhythm guitar all blur together, with only the vox and lead standing out. It's a consequence of the rhythm section playing so fast and in such a low register (I am enjoying the slow leads on top of all that chaotic noise, though), but I feel there could have been a bit more done in the studio to differentiate them.

deathevocation I'm checking out that new Drawn and Quartered you recommended. Am loving it so far, but I can see why you mentioned the production. The drums, bass, and rhythm guitar all blur together, with only the vox and lead standing out. It's a consequence of the rhythm section playing so fast and in such a low register (I am enjoying the slow leads on top of all that chaotic noise, though), but I feel there could have been a bit more done in the studio to differentiate them.

I found that it clicked after a few listens. Huge Immo sound eh?

Ultravox here this morning; ‘Hymn’ is an amazing song.

Like them too. Synth pop wise I really like the Electric Dreams soundtrack by Phil Oakey and Giorgio Moroder and the first Depeche Mode. Yazoo and The Human League decent too. Started off with Time Bandits/Cyndi Lauper now into new Iron Maiden song. It’s a grower - reckon it would be great live. No doubt Gers would be out of control with the pace/main riff.

Family members have just been advised last night that where they were sitting in the MCC for Blues-Cats last week is now Tier 1, so we're all isolating until next Saturday night, to cover the 14 days. All their COVID tests are negative, and I'm not bothering unless I develop symptoms (doubt I will), but now locked in until then. I'm not a fan of WFH, but I'll try to be productive with my time, do my writing and study, catch up on all the music you guys recommend, and enjoy the sleep in.

Would love to, even with all the double ups, but price is the issue...that'll probably be $800AUD.

I'm a bit behind on this, which is not like me with Mayhem. Been meaning to get around to it soon.
Waaay too expensive. I have a double album on a CD otherwise no Priest albums. If it was around $300, maybe $400 I'd be tempted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor form is an understatement. Surely ACCC should look into this? How can you advertise a prize that you don’t have?
No idea
I wouldve thought youd buy it before as well

I reckon the shops run from his bedroom tbh
I found it astounding from the start, it's like how many bottles of the s**t would they have to move to make a prize like that worth it to them?!

Lucky to get the cash equivalent & move on

Haunt - Burst into Flames.

Hadn't heard of these guys until this post, but gave this a shot. I liked it. I don't listen to a lot of power metal, but when I do I appreciate how hard they work. This has a lot of nice lead work and harmonies, with solid riffing throughout. The lyrics were silly, but I suppose they are in BM and DM, too, lol.

Pacman82 Also caught up on Atavistic Black Disorder/Kommando. I loved the Side A originals, Mayhem are brilliant atm, and found the Side B punk covers a bit of fun. It was mentioned earlier, but if I hadn't been told Maniac recorded hellnation, I would've thought they'd got Jello in to do it.

Pan-Amerikan Native Front/Kommodus - Immortal Ceremonies arrrived today and I straight away broke it. Cd was so tightly secured in the digipack I couldn't get it out. Was a problem I remember last with Bolt Thrower's Honor Valor Pride, when a few people I know had that problem...

That Darkthrone vinyl boxset of their early years, Shadows of Iconoclasm, was marked down to $360ish on JB. I also had a couple of $50 gift cards lying around, so finally ordered it.

I've had my first guitar laying around stringless for years - an 80s model strat copy branded Hondo. I think its made in Korea. I thought I should do something with it.
Its currently a horrible light blue colour with a white pick guard and white single coils. I wanna completely strip it and try out a silverburst finish on it and put a humbucker in it. Have been watching YouTube videos but I've never attempted anything like this before. Unfortunately the dimensions are slightly different to a strat so I can't just get a pickguard from ebay and have to make one.

Ultimately would want to end up with something like this:

20210718_091443.jpg

I've had my first guitar laying around stringless for years - an 80s model strat copy branded Hondo. I think its made in Korea. I thought I should do something with it.
Its currently a horrible light blue colour with a white pick guard and white single coils. I wanna completely strip it and try out a silverburst finish on it and put a humbucker in it. Have been watching YouTube videos but I've never attempted anything like this before. Unfortunately the dimensions are slightly different to a strat so I can't just get a pickguard from ebay and have to make one.

Ultimately would want to end up with something like this:

View attachment 1180135
I have an old Korean made Ibanez EX series that I swapped the humbucker off a prestige model with. It's all black so never attempted to change the finish

Winding down with some study and Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian into Nirvana - Bleach. The former band gets overlooked compared to their contemporaries in Queensryche and Dream Theater, but this album is a prog-metal masterpiece, with sweet leads and riffs that are heavier than those other bands, verging on thrash in places. Vocals are an acquired taste, but once they click, they really click, and you can't imagine anyone else singing this material.

Nirvana obviously stand in the absolute top tier of grunge (I place AIC next to them as the cream of 90s alternative rock, though AIC aren't a grunge band imo, with Soundgarden just behind and Pearl Jam being told to **** off), and this album is a very raw, very harsh example of the more metallic end of that genre's spectrum. Compared to the polish of Nevermind (an absolute masterpiece, but I think the band regretted the mainstream attention it brought) and the experimentalism of In Utero (the most flawed, yet interesting of their releases), Bleach is the album that gets ignored, but for me is their best. Nothing complex or difficult to play, no statement to it beyond punk slowed down and played with a metal attitude (except for About A Girl, which is just a beautiful pop song).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back