Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly right. I'm thinking of exploring more of that era, as Sabbath didn't exactly come into being in a vacuum. I'm familiar enough with Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, but it's other stuff like Blue Cheer and Vanilla Fudge that represent real gaps in my knowledge of history.
Steppenwolf are a proto metal band as well

Exactly right. I'm thinking of exploring more of that era, as Sabbath didn't exactly come into being in a vacuum. I'm familiar enough with Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, but it's other stuff like Blue Cheer and Vanilla Fudge that represent real gaps in my knowledge of history.

Blue Cheer is pretty cool. Probably the biggest influence on Pentagram. Way ahead of their time.
Hendrix and his use of distortion definitely a big game changer too. Others would probably be Iron Butterfly and MC5. I was gonna mention Humble Pie but it appears they came a bit later.

New Cradle of Filth song is great. A little heavier in the guitar tone than the last. Not much black metal in there (well let’s be honest there’s none) but still really enjoyable.
I used to get rite into COF & Dimmu, I remember some kid bought the Vempire EP to school, me & my mates spun out, sounded insane, got tpoemf & dahe soon after (even had the coffin edition worth $250 now) but f***ed it all off, they evolved to far away from the early stuff for me.. I had Dimmu's first 5 releases too. From Cradle to Enslave was last I bought of them. Saw some silly BBC doco on them a few years back, still has some interesting/funny bits in it..

Really enjoyed this podcast episode. They talk Order From Chaos, Ares Kingdom and Quorthorn/Bathory who Chuck was in close contact with. Some interesting discussion about why Bathory never played live despite getting big festival offers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back