Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling to get into alot of stuff this year but the 1st track off Yoth Iria & track 5 off the new Necromantia are in regular rotation

Those of you who pay attention to my ramblings may recall the mighty Scald. A Russian band who produced one album in 1997 titled "Will of the Gods is Great Power" which contains the finest epic doom metal track of all time "Night Sky" which in turn contains one of the most crushing riffs of all time at the 6:06minute mark (the preceding 45 second build up is inspiring). Earth shattering stuff. They sadly disbanded in '97 following the death of their vocalist leaving behind possibly the only album (?) with a 100% rating on Metal Archives.

Well they are back. New vocalist but otherwise all original members. "There Flies our Wail" ep available on Bandcamp. Do yourself a favor.
Holy s**t! I listened to them a while ago after you suggested them, awesome that they are back! I'll give this ep a go as soon as possible!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Phrenelith and the Malignant Altar album out tomorrow - hopefully on Spotify tomorrow though expect Total War in Brisbane to carry them shortly. Not sure what other releases are out tomorrow. Noticed Exodus still not in JB (went looking for new Unanimated).

Havent finished the video but its pretty funny. To me, i think a lot of the cheesy side of power metal is like "pop music on steroids." Their music is way better than shitty generic pop but it shares the characteristic of not having much 'depth', for want of a better word. Don't get me wrong, i can still enjoy cheesy power metal a fair bit but its not something i really rate musically. Its more of a guilty pleasure. I put hair rock/metal in the same category but again there are still bands that are talented and make great music within that genre.

Then there is the other side of power metal where there are a lot of awesome bands. I guess there is also a fair space in the middle, for example i think Manowar border on being cheesy but they are great musically. Anyway, im not the biggest power metal fan but i can appreciate the variety within the genre. Its probably one of the most accessible sub-genres and can be used to encourage new listeners to metal. Its certainly better to start off with heavy and/or power metal than the core genres. I do like hardcore and some metalcore etc but those genres are heavily saturated and somewhat overrated.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Havent really listened to Emperor much. Starting with a classic

It's a bit more traditional than what comes next, which became more symphonic. Wait until you move on Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, absolute, stone cold, utter ****ing classic.

Seth "La Morsure du Christ' disc arrived today. This might just make my Best of 2021 list...I've discovered some real tasty melodic black metal this year.
Thankyou :thumbsu:

I've only had this on in the background in a pretty intense and (musically) interrupted day at work but I am enjoying what I've taken in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back