Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommendations appreciated...I like 2nd wave BM, low fi, interesting riffing, and more recently, Drudkh / MGLA have turned me on. Given my inclinations, what contemporay bands may suit? Interested in these styles PLUS some innovation, not just copies of them. Thanks in advance comrades.

You have listed my two favourite bands. If interesting riffing is what you want then I must recommend Sinmara - Hvisl Stjarnanna. Polished production but it's the riffing of Mgla and Drudkh but on steroids. Kriegsmaschine is worth a mention too being Mgla members. It's like their R&D for Mgla and where Darkside gets to really wank the drums.

Blut Aus Nord are also one of my favorite bands that might interest you too. Their sound varies from album to album but the album Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue with the Stars is some brilliant second wave BM worship.

You have listed my two favourite bands. If interesting riffing is what you want then I must recommend Sinmara - Hvisl Stjarnanna. Polished production but it's the riffing of Mgla and Drudkh but on steroids. Kriegsmaschine is worth a mention too being Mgla members. It's like their R&D for Mgla and where Darkside gets to really wank the drums.

Blut Aus Nord are also one of my favorite bands that might interest you too. Their sound varies from album to album but the album Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue with the Stars is some brilliant second wave BM worship.
Thanks Dwainno.
You and other gents have given quite good suggestions. It will take me some time to go through them all. I spent a large chunk of yesterday listening to Szron, Deathcamp Earth, another recommendation. Well fcuk me sideways, what an album! I may just have another listen over coffee! I also listened to a UADA MGLA medley set to a brutal and bizarre war scene, jezuz that was stunning.

It's been a good start to the year!

If you like Mgla, give Szron - Deathcamp Earth a go. Their early stuff was a bit more typical BM, but that album goes into that progressive style that to me, makes Mgla the most important (not necessarily best) band of the last 10-12 years.

Another one that grabbed me a while back was Celestial Bloodshed - Cursed, Scarred, and Forever Possessed. In more of a genuine 2nd wave style, though produced years later (2014ish off the top of my head), and in true tribute style the singer was murdered, thankfully not by a band mate.
Hat tip to you sir, for Death Camp Earth. On first listen i thought it was 1 long piece. I found the middle sections wild and brilliant. Subtle variations in riffing is very satisfying, and an invigorating punk style appears then disappears, keeping one very engaged with what is going on.

Some familiar albums; might check out Suffering Hour.

aacd1b186e99359a671d25b79d0baa6b.jpg

Some familiar albums; might check out Suffering Hour.

aacd1b186e99359a671d25b79d0baa6b.jpg

4 of those made my top 10 (Maiden, Stormkeep, Hooded Menace, Archspire) Spectral Wound would be very close to my top 10 too. That Carcass album didnt really resonate with me and the others i havent listened to, save for a couple songs from Helloween (might give the full album a listen tonight or tomorrow)

4 of those made my top 10 (Maiden, Stormkeep, Hooded Menace, Archspire) Spectral Wound would be very close to my top 10 too. That Carcass album didnt really resonate with me and the others i havent listened to, save for a couple songs from Helloween (might give the full album a listen tonight or tomorrow)

Yeah, Hooded Menace & Maiden made mine. Spectral Wound & Stormkeep would’ve made my next 5. Agree on Carcass; Helloween is pretty good but it really takes some listening to fully digest and I just didn’t have the energy at times. I tried Pharoah a few times and it didn’t really do it for me

Thanks Dwainno.
You and other gents have given quite good suggestions. It will take me some time to go through them all. I spent a large chunk of yesterday listening to Szron, Deathcamp Earth, another recommendation. Well fcuk me sideways, what an album! I may just have another listen over coffee! I also listened to a UADA MGLA medley set to a brutal and bizarre war scene, jezuz that was stunning.

It's been a good start to the year!

Szron are great too. That's a good rec. If you want to know any more in that sort of sound then just hit us up here. Icelandic and Polish black metal is the best places to start these days.

Szron are great too. That's a good rec. If you want to know any more in that sort of sound then just hit us up here. Icelandic and Polish black metal is the best places to start these days.

Yeah Poland is great, a lot of great stuff from there. I just happened to discover the band Witchmaster from there last month, really awesome Black/Thrash in the vein of Aura Noir and Destroyer 666.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I'd spend more time on bandcamp this year, so I'll post things that catch my ear.

Mechina - Venator

This is electronic-inspired metal. Some nice moments but more of an ambiance album.

Tales Of Othertime by Stormkeep

Released in 2021, symphonic black metal. The melodic elements make it more interesting than the standard BM fare on bandcamp.

This one could be the most popular bm release of 21. A lot of hype around it but does nothing for me. Think I read the artist they used was the one who did the cover for the Jump in the Fire ep. Wouldn’t picked that!

Tales Of Othertime by Stormkeep

Released in 2021, symphonic black metal. The melodic elements make it more interesting than the standard BM fare on bandcamp.

This one could be the most popular bm release of 21. A lot of hype around it but does nothing for me. Think I read the artist they used was the one who did the cover for the Jump in the Fire ep. Wouldn’t picked that!

Seth, Yoth Iria & Spectral Wound get my vote for BM AOTY, but this Stormkeep wasn't far behind. Stormruler and Midnight Odyssey other enjoyable BM releases.

Seth, Yoth Iria & Spectral Wound get my vote for BM AOTY, but this Stormkeep wasn't far behind. Stormruler and Midnight Odyssey other enjoyable BM releases.

Barely listened to any new black metal in 21. That’s a trend which has been increasing the last five plus years. Feel the genre is oversaturated and I have no motivation to discover new acts.

Barely listened to any new black metal in 21. That’s a trend which has been increasing the last five plus years. Feel the genre is oversaturated and I have no motivation to discover new acts.
I noticed that on bandcamp. Almost half of metal is BM. Needs to be really good or really different to stand out.

Been blasting Insomnium all afternoon! I first discovered them over 10 years ago from someone posting on this forum. I'd only been a metal fan for a year or 2 before i heard them but their songs hit just as hard today as they did upon first listen. For me, i love so much melodeath but Insomnium and Be'lakor are the 2 bands that stand out. Its a massively saturated genre but i never get sick of those 2. Wolfheart, Amorphis & Quo Vadis would be up there and i could probably list another 20 that i really like but they still dont quite resonate with me like Be'lakor and Insomnium do.

I've been in the exact same spot over the last year or so... I kinda thought I was on top of Black Metal to a degree, but I have not even heard of 90% of the bands coming out these days - even by name, and when you look them up a majority of them haven't existed prior to 2019, Must've been the effect of covi, haha. Bit ironic that a genre that founded itself on trying to be as inaccessible as possible in retaliation to Death and Thrash is probably comfortably the more popular of the three? Then again, the production is meant to be a bit naff so it's easy to produce from home by yourself without having to worry about quality like other genres would, maybe.

I've been in the exact same spot over the last year or so... I kinda thought I was on top of Black Metal to a degree, but I have not even heard of 90% of the bands coming out these days - even by name, and when you look them up a majority of them haven't existed prior to 2019, Must've been the effect of covi, haha. Bit ironic that a genre that founded itself on trying to be as inaccessible as possible in retaliation to Death and Thrash is probably comfortably the more popular of the three? Then again, the production is meant to be a bit naff so it's easy to produce from home by yourself without having to worry about quality like other genres would, maybe.

I have a list of problems with a lot of black metal and most of it stems from posers trying too hard - it is usually lo fi TH worship rubbish which attracts that type. Reckon most of them move on after a few years too and thank * they usually have no interest in death, thrash and heavy metal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back