Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
Wampyrinacht ‎– Night Of The Desecration. Decent Greek BM.
I've been on the look out for some decent new GBM, noticed the other day that a couple of the guys from Varathron are also in a band called Katavasia. I'll have a proper at them & the above when I'm on break from work in a few days. I'm guessing that one means Vampire Night in German!

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Great night seeing Psycroptic on Friday, my first pub gig since March 2020. Their new tracks seemed to go down pretty well, great energy, good times.

Denouncement Pyre were very impressive before that, I did listen a bit before the show but didn't know them too well, clearly a road harded professional outfit. Werewolves were good too, I didn't realise Haley drummed for them as well, tough night for him!

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Great night seeing Psycroptic on Friday, my first pub gig since March 2020. Their new tracks seemed to go down pretty well, great energy, good times.

Denouncement Pyre were very impressive before that, I did listen a bit before the show but didn't know them too well, clearly a road harded professional outfit. Werewolves were good too, I didn't realise Haley drummed for them as well, tough night for him!

Would like to see DP again shortly - been a few years. Enjoy the new album.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The older I get the more I like Death. They were too heavy for me back in the day, but honestly my admiration and respect (and enjoyment) grows year on year, listen on listen. Surely the #1 DM band of all time?
I'm the same, I never really got into them in the 90s but it's still "fresh" decades later. Timeless work.

I'd say they are better than Obituary and Dismember, and Entombed (which I like more) were more death'n'roll. Any other competitors?

Edit: never really got into Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel in a big way.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The older I get the more I like Death. They were too heavy for me back in the day, but honestly my admiration and respect (and enjoyment) grows year on year, listen on listen. Surely the #1 DM band of all time?

Told it on here before but love a back in the day story so indulge me. Shortly after Spiritual Healing was released I heard a couple of songs on the Metal for Melbourne show. Loved it. Would have had to have been May that year that I got some coin for my birthday. Went to Doncaster Shoppingtown and used my $20 on a vinyl copy. Got home and went to put it on the turntable and bang - the actual vinyl was Re-Animator's "Condemned to Eternity". My mother went back on the Monday and of the five copies they had in stock only one had Spiritual Healing. Thank *. James Murphy is awesome on it - my favourite Death album. In around 2001 when I was in Nagoya I heard that Bill Andrews worked in a metal store there. Turned up and sure enough there he was. Surreal. Seem him there on subsequent trips. Never approached him though in hindsight on first trip it would have been nice to have told him I'm a fan of SH/L and asked for a photo. Instead I have a photo of me in my Macabre shirt in the street with a bag full of records.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'm the same, I never really got into them in the 90s but it's still "fresh" decades later. Timeless work.

I'd say they are better than Obituary and Dismember, and Entombed (which I like more) were more death'n'roll. Any other competitors?

I have Death in a group of a number of acts like Possessed, Necrophagia, Massacre, Master, Repulsion etc. I guess Morbid Angel and Xecutioner (plus Autopsy) have demos from the early days too but not as early as these acts. No doubt they were all influenced by the aforementioned acts. By the time death metal was really huge old mate Chuck had moved on both lyrically and musically (this started with Human IMO - actually got Human on now and it was so far ahead of its time). I'd have Death as the most important/influential band if one was to narrow it down though not my favourite death metal act (might be able to name a "favourite" act at gunpoint - likely Dismember).

Re Entombed - big fan but hugely over rated act IMO. Dismember, Grave, Unleashed, Carnage, Necrophobic etc better acts IMO. I've probably listened to Therion's debut (killer death metal album) more than LHP/C over the journey.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Told it on here before but love a back in the day story so indulge me. Shortly after Spiritual Healing was released I heard a couple of songs on the Metal for Melbourne show. Loved it. Would have had to have been May that year that I got some coin for my birthday. Went to Doncaster Shoppingtown and used my $20 on a vinyl copy. Got home and went to put it on the turntable and bang - the actual vinyl was Re-Animator's "Condemned to Eternity". My mother went back on the Monday and of the five copies they had in stock only one had Spiritual Healing. Thank *. James Murphy is awesome on it - my favourite Death album. In around 2001 when I was in Nagoya I heard that Bill Andrews worked in a metal store there. Turned up and sure enough there he was. Surreal. Seem him there on subsequent trips. Never approached him though in hindsight on first trip it would have been nice to have told him I'm a fan of SH/L and asked for a photo. Instead I have a photo of me in my Macabre shirt in the street with a bag full of records.
I love a good 'back in the day' story as much as the next guy. Actually, my wife thinks my life is one big back in the day story lol.

Also, good old mum eh? Imagine her rocking up with a Death album under her arm.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah I'm sort of new-ish to death metal, I listened to Death 20 years ago and didn't have the ear for it. Now I count Symbolic as one of my fave albums of all time. Death certainly progressed a lot and I feel like Symbolic was the perfect blend of catchy riffs, technicality and songwriting.

The Sound of Perseverance is a very good album too, maybe a bit too much w***ery on it and too proggy, I'm sure opinions differ on that.

Back