Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Sabbat - HOATTC. One of my first thrash metal loves. 30 years ago this year. FMD.

Mine too. First heard it Christmas of ‘88 at Ocean Grove foreshore camping ground. Some guys were playing it that I’d become friends with. Each song was so well constructed, a level above the standard US thrash of the day in terms of intelligence; and Martin Walkyier’s wicked vocals just brilliant. Head and shoulders the finest UK thrash album ever imo.

Last edited:
Rage - Secrets in a Weird World on. Remastered version with a noticeably meaty sound. Overlooked German speed/power metal this one. Huge wraps when it came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rage - Secrets in a Weird World on. Remastered version with a noticeably meaty sound. Overlooked German speed/power metal this one. Huge wraps when it came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invisible Horizons. Always went Running Wild > Grave Digger > Rage. While we are at it, Sodom > Kreator > Tankard > Destruction. Germans did ok eh?

Invisible Horizons. Always went Running Wild > Grave Digger > Rage. While we are at it, Sodom > Kreator > Tankard > Destruction. Germans did ok eh?

Rage peaked early IMO. Don’t like Grave Digger (mainly vocalist kills it for me); I’d add in Primal Fear & Helloween ahead of both Rage & GD. No disputing Running Wild though!

Accept went ok in their day too.....

Not a Tankard fan unfortunately. But yeah Sodom, Kreator & Destruction in that order for me (although my fav Destruction probably outshines my fav Kreator but purely on ‘career-spanning weight of quality’ Kreator wins).

Rage peaked early IMO. Don’t like Grave Digger (mainly vocalist kills it for me); I’d add in Primal Fear & Helloween ahead of both Rage & GD. No disputing Running Wild though!

Accept went ok in their day too.....

Not a Tankard fan unfortunately. But yeah Sodom, Kreator & Destruction in that order for me (although my fav Destruction probably outshines my fav Kreator but purely on ‘career-spanning weight of quality’ Kreator wins).

Guess Helloween was a contemporary of Running Wild, Grave Digger and Rage so they should be in that grouping. I'd have them after Running Wild. Gamma Ray and Primal Fear in a seperate group for mine - and in that order. Running Wild and Accept......a real hard choice for me. Probably Running Wild just.

Scorpions too. Fair effort.

My son’s been asking for a ‘Wild Child’ t-shirt all weekend. Can’t find kid size anywhere....lol. He loves the song Ballcrusher. Mum not so much of a fan.

Been playing it all week in my kitchen. Love that song too.

Guess Helloween was a contemporary of Running Wild, Grave Digger and Rage so they should be in that grouping. I'd have them after Running Wild. Gamma Ray and Primal Fear in a seperate group for mine - and in that order. Running Wild and Accept......a real hard choice for me. Probably Running Wild just.

Scorpions too. Fair effort.

Wow I forgot Mystic Prophecy!! Damn it. They’re closer to Accept really I guess, can be quite melodic (particularly in their middle period) but heavier the last few releases. Better than Edguy.

Damn Germans go ok.

Glenn Tipton diagnosed with Parkinsons, no longer touring with the band. Sad news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d think they would have reached out to KK as the natural replacement (for the tour)? Still, Sneap is no slouch.

Would have thought KK would have been asked first. Guess he has had enough. Would have been nice to see him do the tour though. Age brings health problems unfortunately, wouldn't shock if KK isn't 100% hence his retirement.

I wasn't a fan of the vocals. Sounded very breathey and airy if that makes sense.

Yeah I hear what you are saying. This is actually the first Portal I have liked. Might have to revisit the back catalogue.

There is one particularly abrasive song. My son is 8 years old but used to hearing death/black at home so doesn't flinch when he hears it, but this song had him asking "what the freaking hell is that?" and "sounds like it has been hacked". Had me laughing.

Yeah I hear what you are saying. This is actually the first Portal I have liked. Might have to revisit the back catalogue.

There is one particularly abrasive song. My son is 8 years old but used to hearing death/black at home so doesn't flinch when he hears it, but this song had him asking "what the freaking hell is that?" and "sounds like it has been hacked". Had me laughing.

“Spores”?

Ha, your kid knows too much already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back