Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent the arvo installing shelves in the garage ...... for my cd collection....

One of them was....

Hail garage metal!

I’m really looking forward to Songs of the Dead Live this year. King sounds to be singing as well as ever now.

Conspiracy is my pick of the KD material. I know Abigail (Fatal Portrait?) gets the ‘nod’ in many circles as the ultimate King but I just ‘feel’ Conspiracy more. It’s a more ‘accessible’ collection of songs. I remember buying The Eye and being disappointed with it. Not so much now but back then I didn’t like it. Funny how that happens.

Last edited:

Got myself the Justice box set. It's gonna take forever to get through everything. The Black Album box will be as big as a house too the way they're going.
Killer set, isn't it? * man, Metallica were absolutely untouchable circa 86-89. The live stuff in that set is awesome, and the early ideas are pretty cool. I have a deep and abiding relationship with AJFA in general, changed my life, this weird old album with long ass songs and strange production.

I would do horrible, horrible things to go back in time and see Metallica circa '88.

Not entirely sure I'm gonna get the black album set but I reckon I'll get Load. It's just a really bizarre era and I'm fairly fond of a few songs on it.

Killer set, isn't it? **** man, Metallica were absolutely untouchable circa 86-89. The live stuff in that set is awesome, and the early ideas are pretty cool. I have a deep and abiding relationship with AJFA in general, changed my life, this weird old album with long ass songs and strange production.

I would do horrible, horrible things to go back in time and see Metallica circa '88.

Not entirely sure I'm gonna get the black album set but I reckon I'll get Load. It's just a really bizarre era and I'm fairly fond of a few songs on it.

I'm with you. Even after long stretches of not listening to Justice, it's still comfortably my favourite album of all time. Everything came together for it - the sound, the artwork, the themes, even the way the band looked in promo shots. It has a dark aura about it and is extra aggressive, probably due in part to the loss of Cliff.
That Seattle '89 gig is just incredible. A perfect example of a band at the peak of their powers. Hetfield is untouchable as a frontman in terms of stage presence and charisma. Stoked that they pressed it to vinyl. My only gripe, and it's a pretty small thing to complain about, there's no Eye of the Beholder artwork anywhere even though Harvester, Straw and One are presented in one form or another. I like that artwork so it's a shame they didn't make it into a patch or poster or something.

A Black Album set would be worth it for the live stuff of the period imo. They were pretty incredible still from 91-93.

Care to rank the KD albums?

For me probably;

1. Con/The Eye (see earlier)
2. Abigail/Them (production on Them a little offputting overwise both classics)
3. FP (make sure have cd copy with The Lake)
4. TSL (first half is sensational - vintage KD)
5. HOG/TPM (HOG probably a better album but I love a lot on TPM (which weakens as it goes along). Magic one of the best songs by KD.
6. Voodoo (has some real hightpoints - love the tempo change into solo on LOA house)
7. The Graveyard (actually listened to this quite a bit when it was released)
8. Abigail 2/GMYSP (neither really got repeat listens)

The Eye is No.1 for me, I was mad into witchcraft and this one hit the spot. The lyrics and story is amazing, and god knows how many times I have played that CD.

Conspiracy is No.2 - just crazy storytelling.

Abigail is great, will need to have another listen.

When I lived in NYC, I was lucky on the first weekend that I moved there, my two fav bands were playing the same night at BB Kings.... Moonspell supported by Katatonia. What a dream.... I ended up going to about 6 of their shows. Well, I had tickets to my dream gig .... KD, however he cancelled his concert due to a back injury (was 2007 from memory) - I was devastated and to this day have never seen him live

Here's my take, by rights TSL deserves to be way up but there's just so much quality that its hard to justify dropping anything below it.

1. Conspiracy - used to have the t-shirt....damn I wish I had kept it
2. Fatal Portrait (I've go the vinyl and also the Roadrunner Remaster with “No Presents....” and "The Lake)
3. Abigail (3 seconds into "Arrival" and I knew this was gonna be good. The Possession, 7th Day of July 1777; Title track; A Mansion in Darkness; King's voice is incredible; Production is spot on.) & The Eye (have grown to love this)
4. Spider's Lullaby - I reckon this one slips through so underrated (Six Feet Under, The Poltergeist, Moonlight, From the Other Side, Killer...man oh man).
5. Them
6. Voodoo (quite like the production on this)
7. Abigail II (The Storm & Miriam both Rock)
8. The Puppet Master - agree Magic is a damn classic. One of my all time fav KD songs.
9. House of God/GMYSP/The Graveyard - nothing here really interests me

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been outside doing some work which has been made all the more enjoyable by my Bluetooth speaker and the always delivering Falconer. The debut is a real favourite. Great riffs, chunky metallic production, quality songwriting. Geekiest lyric award of all time goes to ‘Lord of the Blacksmiths’ but with tunes this strong its impossible not to jump right in.

Foreigner are one of my favourite guilty pleasures!

Same here, and it surprises a lot of people who know my normal listening tastes that I have a thing for a lot of 80s pop and mainstream rock (80s metal obviously comprises a lot of the normal listening tastes for the regulars in this thread).

Actually saw them in 07 I think at The Palais. Not with Lou Gramm obviously. But it was still a fun show.

Same here, and it surprises a lot of people who know my normal listening tastes that I have a thing for a lot of 80s pop and mainstream rock (80s metal obviously comprises a lot of the normal listening tastes for the regulars in this thread).

Actually saw them in 07 I think at The Palais. Not with Lou Gramm obviously. But it was still a fun show.

Loverboy, Survivor, Robert Tepper, REO Speedwagon, Heart. All worthy of guilty pleasure status in my book.

My non metal listening habits are dominated by punk/hc, but don't mind 70s/80s AOR (Foreigner, Toto etc) and some country (Hank Jnr, Highwaymen, Jennings etc). Have a small amount of 80s pop (Electric Dreams soundtrack, first A-Ha, The Hooters second album, The Cars among others).

A Black Album set would be worth it for the live stuff of the period imo. They were pretty incredible still from 91-93.

Yeah you aren't wrong, they kept a decent amount of fury for a while post-black. But, and I think I speak for everyone on this thread, I am completely comfortable never ever having to hearing Sandman again. Or even the boring ass chug fest that's Sad But True

...as you can probs tell I am all up for discussing Metallica in ear bleeding detail. I don't think they're my favourite band anymore but it's hard to understate how important they were in high school, etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back