Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
Killer set, isn't it? **** man, Metallica were absolutely untouchable circa 86-89. The live stuff in that set is awesome, and the early ideas are pretty cool. I have a deep and abiding relationship with AJFA in general, changed my life, this weird old album with long ass songs and strange production.

I would do horrible, horrible things to go back in time and see Metallica circa '88.

Not entirely sure I'm gonna get the black album set but I reckon I'll get Load. It's just a really bizarre era and I'm fairly fond of a few songs on it.
The Outlaw Torn is one of metallicas most underrated songs because its on Load, disappointing really.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
I turned off Metallica when the Black album was released. I get that they wanted to simplify things after AJFA etc and have a crack at writing a radio friendly album. But what they became after that, the music they produced, what they represent etc - I have no idea. Whilst I own all the albums save for St Anger and Lulu (never listen to them unless they are played at the gym), I sometimes wonder if they lost the passion and just produced albums every few years for the * of it? Where did the creativity go? Where's the late career jewel that most bands are capable of? I guess Death Magnetic and Hardwired are on par quality wise with later Slayer/Megadeth (i.e. inoffensive and not memorable). Hopefully they tour here again in the not so far future and do something similar to Maiden insofar the setlist is based off the AJFA tour.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gets shitcanned a fair bit but I like it. They were good live too.

Yup I don't have a problem with them, seem alright and decent live too. But it's pretty fashionable to hate on them at the moment.

People need to clear their ears out. The sheep-like Groupthink on some website forums is staggering. It’s a fantastic album.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I don't know anything about this band but I enjoy the riffing on this track.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
I turned off Metallica when the Black album was released. I get that they wanted to simplify things after AJFA etc and have a crack at writing a radio friendly album. But what they became after that, the music they produced, what they represent etc - I have no idea. Whilst I own all the albums save for St Anger and Lulu (never listen to them unless they are played at the gym), I sometimes wonder if they lost the passion and just produced albums every few years for the **** of it? Where did the creativity go? Where's the late career jewel that most bands are capable of? I guess Death Magnetic and Hardwired are on par quality wise with later Slayer/Megadeth (i.e. inoffensive and not memorable). Hopefully they tour here again in the not so far future and do something similar to Maiden insofar the setlist is based off the AJFA tour.
i have ZERO clue what they were thinking with the Lulu album. But yeah Load, Reload and st anger most of the songs are terrible but there are some hidden gems in all 3 (Fixxxer, TOT...)
tbf, death magnetic is easily their best album since AJFA bar none.

Yeah you aren't wrong, they kept a decent amount of fury for a while post-black. But, and I think I speak for everyone on this thread, I am completely comfortable never ever having to hearing Sandman again. Or even the boring ass chug fest that's Sad But True

...as you can probs tell I am all up for discussing Metallica in ear bleeding detail. I don't think they're my favourite band anymore but it's hard to understate how important they were in high school, etc etc.

Good point. One of the values of Metallica is that they are the epitome of the gateway band. I got into them when I first started listening to music, but very quickly gravitated towards their early stuff rather than what they were putting out at that time (this was about the time of Reload). Then I started checking out their contemporaries in Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, etc, which then spread out to extreme metal with some backfilling for prog, doom, etc. But referring to Metallica as a gateway band is by no means to discount their own catalog; KEA-RTL-MOP-AJFA are amazing, and really encapsulate that creative energy deathevocation referred to above. There's not many bands that can boast such a string of four albums in a row that are all landmarks in their own right, and each is very different from the other (AJFA is also in my desert island list).

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Metallica might have changed a lot in the studio in the 90s but their live shows have always been solid and they kept playing old material. The deviation from the band they were wasn't actually that striking in that respect.
If you don't experiment at least a little bit though then you run the risk of going down the AC/DC/Maiden/Motorhead/Slayer path of being entirely predictable. That's fine if you have no interest in taking risks but I don't think they're too interested in always releasing the same album. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but I've never thought their change in sound was a direct ploy to be on the radio.

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Screenshot_20190110-184608_Instagram.jpg

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This is great, how did I miss it. NAILS have been hammering (pun intended) Metal Sucks and its owner on Twitter for over a week. According to NAILS, apparently there are about 5 or 6 metal blog sites all owned by the same person. On one hand MS acts all woke, attacks bands and tries to sterilise metal, yet on some of the other sites they take money from the labels promoting the same bands.

https://twitter.com/NAILStyranny

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is great, how did I miss it. NAILS have been hammering (pun intended) Metal Sucks and its owner on Twitter for over a week. According to NAILS, apparently there are about 5 or 6 metal blog sites all owned by the same person. On one hand MS acts all woke, attacks bands and tries to sterilise metal, yet on some of the other sites they take money from the labels promoting the same bands.

It’s frustrating because I quite enjoyed MS but their pathetic divisive ‘let’s appease the permanently outraged about something vocal minority’ grandstanding really pisses me off. So I avoid the site nowadays.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns

Love it. Glad Behemoth gave them a backhander over the Graveland photo too. People who run that site deserve a beatdown (or ten).

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s frustrating because I quite enjoyed MS but their pathetic divisive ‘let’s appease the permanently outraged about something vocal minority’ grandstanding really pisses me off. So I avoid the site nowadays.
Only cut 'n' copy is real anyway.

Slayer, Tales of the Macabre, Leather 'n'Spikes, Black Book of Darkness, Tornado, some of my favourites fanzines long gone. Miss those days...

Magus

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I avoided the Roots tour, cos obviously (ended up going to the sold out Richmond-GWS PF and being a total flog to all my tigers mates who couldn't get tickets), but I'd go to this one.

BTR/Arise tour will be approx. a million times better than Roots anyway.

Back