Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
I've seen JP with the Falcon a few times. I think he has a great presence and energy. Not so sure about Sneap. Thumbs down to the casual metal 'fans' who know one or two Slayer songs and spent most of JP's set screaming 'Slayerrrrrr', drinking bogan juice and being annoying *s. The clowns probably think Dissident Aggressor is a Slayer song. Actually, they probably don't know anything past Angel of Death.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
No shock dwwaino but you know what I am talking about. Thank **** we won't see them at D666, Incantation, Blasphemy etc. They probably think Vomitor is 'noise'.

I know the sorts exactly. I actually forgot about them until I went to Soundwave a few years back and noticed those sorts watching Mayhem who didn’t know anything outside Freezing Moon.

Who's going to the CC 'BTR/A' show? I am keen for that. BTR is one of my favourite thrash metal albums.

Definitely my favourite Sep album. I’ve filled my live quota for the year though haha.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
I've seen JP with the Falcon a few times. I think he has a great presence and energy. Not so sure about Sneap. Thumbs down to the casual metal 'fans' who know one or two Slayer songs and spent most of JP's set screaming 'Slayerrrrrr', drinking bogan juice and being annoying ****s. The clowns probably think Dissident Aggressor is a Slayer song. Actually, they probably don't know anything past Angel of Death.
hahahahaah, was quitely hoping slayer would play it and rob would come on and do vocals with tom.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
No shock dwwaino but you know what I am talking about. Thank **** we won't see them at D666, Incantation, Blasphemy etc. They probably think Vomitor is 'noise'.

Actually I haven’t been out to a show in ages. I think 2017? That was my first in a while too and the landscape had changed. I hope my jacket doesn’t get me kicked out these days.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha. JP did it when they toured here in 08 or whenever it was. Was ******* awesome.
would've been sick, when songs like jihad and when the stillness come, you could tell half of the crowd had no clue what they were because they just went silent basically with no one singing. Did you end up seeing Alien Weaponry?

Last edited:

SydneyBomber

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Absolutely, re: slayer.
Saw that they played 'captor of sin' in melb, whilst sydney got 'black magic'.
Would have loved another song or two from the SNM or HA albums (instead of payback, disciple, jihad etc), but that's probably just me being a picky/old.

Am 50/50 on the cavalera show. Love BTR and Arise (not quite as much), but Max looks like he's struggling to keep up playing wise.on the vids i've seen. Not sure i want to walk away disappointed...

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
Would have loved another song or two from the SNM or HA albums (instead of payback, disciple, jihad etc), but that's probably just me being a picky/old.

Am 50/50 on the cavalera show. Love BTR and Arise (not quite as much), but Max looks like he's struggling to keep up playing wise.on the vids i've seen. Not sure i want to walk away disappointed...
i agree, but when they played disciple the crowd went sick.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
would've been sick, when songs like jihad and when the stillness come, you could tell half of the crowd had no clue what they were because they just went silent basically with no one singing. Did you end up seeing Alien Weaponry?

Nah. TBH never heard of them. Good?

We got Black Magic and Captor Of Sin. Lot of focus on Seasons (Blood Red, War Ensemble, Seasons In The Abyss, Born Of Fire, Dead Skin Mask), though I would have liked another 10 minutes for another song or two from RIB. The only song I would have dropped from the setlist would have been Payback. From GHUA, a much better song (and imo their mist underrated) would have been God Send Death. Jihad went better than expected live, but I think it's one of their most overrated songs; from that album, Flesh Storm is the standout (to me it's good enough to have been on Seasons), but Jihad was written to be deliberately controversial so it always gets a gig.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

COS was awesome. Didn't expect it. We got Black Magic too. Would have liked Die By The Sword, Evil Has No Boundaries, Altar of Sacrifice, Behind the Crooked Cross.....I can go on and on. Agree on the newer stuff but I guess they have to play some of it for those fans. We virtually got half of the SITA album.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
COS was awesome. Didn't expect it. We got Black Magic too. Would have liked Die By The Sword, Evil Has No Boundaries, Altar of Sacrifice, Behind the Crooked Cross.....I can go on and on. Agree on the newer stuff but I guess they have to play some of it for those fans. We virtually got half of the SITA album.
1 hr 30 isnt enough for a slayer set :p needs to be atleast 3 hours :D

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
True, same in sydney.
And not to sound like an 'old school or nothing' guy (hate worldwide is one of my favourite slayer songs ever for example), a couple more oldies would have been great

I think material from the later albums holds up well live. DIM and GHUA are the albums I don't get into. Ones after that are fine - not classic but some stormers which hold up well live (Repentless).

SydneyBomber

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
We got Black Magic and Captor Of Sin. Lot of focus on Seasons (Blood Red, War Ensemble, Seasons In The Abyss, Born Of Fire, Dead Skin Mask), though I would have liked another 10 minutes for another song or two from RIB. The only song I would have dropped from the setlist would have been Payback. From GHUA, a much better song (and imo their mist underrated) would have been God Send Death. Jihad went better than expected live, but I think it's one of their most overrated songs; from that album, Flesh Storm is the standout (to me it's good enough to have been on Seasons), but Jihad was written to be deliberately controversial so it always gets a gig.
Ah ok, must have misread the setlist site and looked at sideshow list instead of Melb Download show.
Prefer black magic to captor myself (i know that's probably blasphemy for some here!), so no complaints.
Agree re: jihad, the intro or the deliberately provocative lyrics (just seemed to be trying too hard) never really did it for me, so not a favourite. Payback a little bit the same.
Repentless was great though.

Ah ok, must have misread the setlist site and looked at sideshow list instead of Melb Download show.
Prefer black magic to captor myself (i know that's probably blasphemy for some here!), so no complaints.
Agree re: jihad, the intro or the deliberately provocative lyrics (just seemed to be trying too hard) never really did it for me, so not a favourite. Payback a little bit the same.
Repentless was great though.

I actually didn't rate Repentless when it came out, but gave it a spin in preparation for Download. It's certainly no classic, but a lot better than than I originally gave it credit for. Both the title track and When The Stillness Comes were worthy additions to the setlist, and Delusions Of Saviour was perfect as a taped intro.

I liked the touch of using the Hanneman/Heineken logo as the backdrop for Angel of Death, and also that Gary had it on one of his guitars.

Like you mentioned earlier for the Sydney show, Tom was a bit emotional at the end. The big screen actually caught him wiping away a tear.

Gee I’m so glad I spent the day at Gumbuya World. I know it depends on the lineup but guess I’ll consider going next year. Sounds like everyone got something out of the day and had a great time

Look up last years lineup. So far Download in Australia has been as big a miss and then a hit as you can get.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Gee I’m so glad I spent the day at Gumbuya World. I know it depends on the lineup but guess I’ll consider going next year. Sounds like everyone got something out of the day and had a great time

See you at the Virgin terminal Thurs morning for the Auckland adventure.

Back