Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome summary :thumbsu:

I can't comment much on AIC or Soundgarden as I really haven't heard enough of either, but I never understood the In Utero>Nevermind argument. To me Nevermind is a masterpiece, and arguably picks up in the second half as the songs get more personal. Songs like Territorial Pissings, Lounge Act and Drain You will probably always be my favourites. Perfect songwriting. In Utero had some good tracks, and the aesthetics of it are cool and interesting but there's just not enough incredible songs for what is deemed a classic album. I've always thought Heart Shaped Box was a little overrated as a single, and it's running time I've always found to be pretty excessive. Just never picks up much steam.

Thx. :)

Agreed, Nevermind is a classic, although I've honestly thought that it loses a bit of steam as it progresses - the first half is a real tough act to follow, though. Drain You, On a Plain and the more morose Something in the Way are my personal second half favourites.

Your overall thoughts on In Utero are OP, although I personally like Heart-Shaped Box. It utilises Nirvana's usual quiet-loud dynamics very well, and Cobain's plaintive delivery really makes the (already unsettling) lyrics that much more evocative.

Pearl Jam are a decent band, but not that grunge sounding, as you allude to. I've always maintained Ten is way too top heavy, and declines pretty rapidly in the second half. I love Release though, and I think it forecasted their future sound a bit. Could easily close out an album like No Code, which IMO is as good a Pearl Jam LP as any.

It's a bit of muddled genre, with nothing particularly distinctive, just a bit of a dirty vibe rooted in DIY punk. Bands like Husker Du and The Melvins are far better examples of the true grunge sound (and even then they can sound pretty far removed from it), and I've always found it a little unusual and amusing that the Big 4 grunge bands sound nothing like each other and bare only a vague resemblance to the original grunge sound.

Yeah, Pearl Jam are a good band in and of themselves, but even allowing for the public's general lack of taste, it still bemuses me that a merely good band can be the most popular of the Big 4. Technically, they are pretty solid and Vedder is most certainly influential, but their songwriting puts them in Soundgarden's bracket rather than Nirvana's.

No Code is fine - it basically sounds like Pearl Jam's take on 80's U2. I prefer the real thing personally, but I certainly prefer it over Vitaology or even Vs. What I heard off Yield way back in the late 1990's wasn't particularly memorable, and I haven't heard any of their stuff that was released after 2000.

Honestly have never heard Husker Du or the Melvins.

I've never got how MMM have been playing the same dogshit for 25 years.. The amount of times I've flicked past the station & heard the droning voice of that singer.. At least you guys have Rebel Radio up there

TBH, radio stations tend to play the same s**t ad nauseum up here too.

There's a reason why I haven't listened to the radio since I was 15 or so.

Gotta love those bootleg shirts...

06cff090345ef7fef41512e90e436c2e.jpg

Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations.

Not overly familiar with NWOBHM except for the influence on first wave thrash, particularly on the West Coast bands that became huge (Metallica obviously massive fans, and I think Lars was there when this was recorded). Has an interesting sound that really shows the transition from 70s proggy metal into the sound that allowed for early 80s thrash to grow (though I do prefer Hetfield's vocals on the covers).

Not overly familiar with NWOBHM except for the influence on first wave thrash, particularly on the West Coast bands that became huge (Metallica obviously massive fans, and I think Lars was there when this was recorded). Has an interesting sound that really shows the transition from 70s proggy metal into the sound that allowed for early 80s thrash to grow (though I do prefer Hetfield's vocals on the covers).
Speaking of NWOBHM Raven released a new album a couple of months ago. Some decent songs on it. They were pretty cool live last year.

December wolves (completely dehumanized) - very underrated
into
Akercocke - choronzon
into
Massacre - from beyond (the original meat & potatoes dm haha!)
into
Brutal truth - extreme conditions

Odd band. Wrote some cracking songs but also wrote a lot of boring material. Yet to check out the re-recorded album but prefer Borrowed Time (though think just like the debut, it has some boring parts). The Coffin Train from last year was a surprise in a good way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a burnt copy of that somewhere, great album

Would sound massive on your system. Actually that’s another for my top songs of 2020 - ‘Morbid Fascination’. Absolute belter.

Haven’t listened to it but confident it’ll be my favourite album of this year ahead of Ambush and Necrophobic. Sweden does it again.

In town today and it looks pretty dead. 2021 is gonna be interesting.
I've got a good bud who works there around the clock, he reckons venues are starting to rock at night again.. mite just be people still working from home! I'll do some recon after dark and report my findings soon haha DS mite pull off a mission soon too

In town today and it looks pretty dead. 2021 is gonna be interesting.

Box Hill getting busy again; don't think it'll be long until the city heats up. Lot of people with a lot of energy to burn, just hope we don't have a tough guy epidemic once things open up again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back