Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. Too much late era Slayer & missing at least 1 Sodom album; but at least they included the Sabbat debut.

Not a bad list actually despite some pretty cookie cutter mentions. Was surprised to see Seven Churches in a thrash list but I guess that's actually correct even though I consider it a death metal album by today's definition. I'd swap Agent Orange for Persecution Mania but that might just be me. I was hoping to see Protector - Misanthropy as I still think it's one of the most underrated thrash releases but that might be too underground for a lot of lists.

Not the worst list ever, but some that aren't really thrash by a "pure" definition (those Celtic Frost albums were really first wave black metal, which shows that style's origins, Morbid Visions was also a fusion style) but are included to show how thrash was really an umbrella term for sounds that diverged into new genres ( dwwaino mentions this with the Possessed album). Peace Sells too low, would be 4th on my list, I'd swap MOP with RIP personally, as RIP and RIB are my equal number 1 thrash albums (and sound nothing alike), and I'd actually move AJFA up to third. Dee Snider is right, a few of those later Slayer albums included based on the band name rather than the quality of the record.

I watch this guy on the tube, hes done various stuff with musos over the years but i caught this reaction vid last night

It kicks in around 3min mark after his Raid Shadow Legends plug

decrepit birth represent, samus is a great drummer!

some of his vids are a bit too goofy, but that one is pretty crazy.
I enjoyed the one he did with devin townsend too

Interesting. Too much late era Slayer & missing at least 1 Sodom album; but at least they included the Sabbat debut.

I usually avoid these lists as they trigger me. Anyone who lists, inter alia, albums by Municipal Waste, Blood Tsunami, later day Exodus/Kreator/Slayer and Power Trip ahead of Agent Orange and Endless Pain do not know what they are talking about. Then consider albums like Persecution Mania and Extreme Aggression have been omitted whilst the list starts with Evile. Guess that’s Metal Hammer for you - I still remember Jimmy Barnes getting album of the month whilst Fallen Angel of Doom got shitcanned.

Thinking more on it, it's a thankless task doing such a list as it will always get pulled apart, but there's a few that really should be on there - M-16, Eternal Devastation, Infernal Overkill, Mayhemic Destruction. The list is very US-centric, you could maybe even make a case for Sarcofago.

Really does highlight just how awesome thrash is though, to have such a history.

Thinking more on it, it's a thankless task doing such a list as it will always get pulled apart, but there's a few that really should be on there - M-16, Eternal Devastation, Infernal Overkill, Mayhemic Destruction. The list is very US-centric, you could maybe even make a case for Sarcofago.

Really does highlight just how awesome thrash I'd though, to have such a history.

I've tried to do mental lists of my top 10 black metal albums of all time and it's deadset impossible.

I've tried to do mental lists of my top 10 black metal albums of all time and it's deadset impossible.

I'd start with De Mysteriis and Heaven Shall Burn, but after that I know what to include, but not the order, and it's always a lot more than ten...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd start with De Mysteriis and Heaven Shall Burn, but after that I know what to include, but not the order, and it's always a lot more than ten...

Thing is I question myself if I'm adding something like De Mysteriis because I feel like I have to? Then there is recency bias. There is plenty I haven't listened to in years just because I burnt out on them and listen to newer things even though I still appreciate those earlier classics.

Really does highlight just how awesome thrash is though, to have such a history.

Eternal Devastation is in there. M16 -hell yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back