Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the new Aorlhac album "Pierres brûlées" on repeat for a while now (as well as "L'esprit des vents").... Great band, maybe up dwwaino 's alley? Does have a Metal noir Quebecois (Forteresse, Monarque etc) vibe to them, imo.

They also covered Dissection.... Not sure I'm into it though.

Not a lot of new stuff tickling my pickle at the moment.

Slayer ranked

1. South of Heaven
2. Reign in Blood
3. Show No Mercy
4. Hell Awaits
5. Seasons in the Abyss
6. World Painted Blood
7. Divine Intervention
8. Christ Illusion
9. God Hates Us All
10. Repentless
11. Diabolus in musica

Slayer ranked

1. South of Heaven
2. Reign in Blood
3. Show No Mercy
4. Hell Awaits
5. Seasons in the Abyss
6. World Painted Blood
7. Divine Intervention
8. Christ Illusion
9. God Hates Us All
10. Repentless
11. Diabolus in musica
For me, I rate the Hell Awaits & Haunting the Chapel releases up the top with RIB..

For me, I rate the Hell Awaits & Haunting the Chapel releases up the top with RIB..

If Haunting the Chapel was just a part of Hell Awaits it's probably ahead of Show No Mercy. Chemical Warfare is one of their best songs.

If ranking studio albums only I’ll run with my list which is reflective of my age (i.e. young teenager during SOH - SITA era so I lean towards them). If I was four - five years older I imagine SNM and HA are at the top. I think the first five are bona fide classics and I also really like DI. I can exist without the albums produced post DI.

South of Heaven (first Slayer album I heard)

Reign in Blood/Seasons

Show no Mercy/Hell

Divine

Most of the rest

DIM (absolute shocker!)

My list is fairly conventional:

Reign In Blood (tied with Rust In Peace for greatest thrash album IMO).

South of Heaven.

Hell Awaits.

Seasons in the Abyss (probably the most "typical" Slayer album, as it combines the sounds of the preceding four into a whole).

Show No Mercy.

Divine Intervention (half is killer, half is filler).

World Painted Blood (a return to form, the last of their good albums, though not at the level of their great ones).

Christ Illusion (Lombardo returned, and also the tone; Flesh Storm sounds like it's from Seasons, though the band overrates Jihad).

God Hates Us All (Disciple is a classic, God Send Death incredibly underrated, it's one of the best things they ever did; most of the album is boring).

Repentless (no Jeff, Piano Wire aside, really showed, though giving it a fresh listen ahead of the farewell tour made me appreciate it a little more than on initial release).

Diabolus in Musica.

I love lists, let me get involved. Worth noting, I was never a Slayer fan back in the day.

Hell Awaits is the 1st album of theirs I bought and I hated it ('Kill Again' is a great track though) - still do. If you will allow me to indulge.....a huge part of the reason I 'hated' the band from day 1 was because at the time there was big article in Cream magazine by this bitch Sylvie Simmons who absolutely paid out on the mighty Crue, saying they would be forgotten in a few years UNLIKE a band like Slayer who had just put out Hell Awaits etc. And she went into detail comparing the artistic and musical merits of the two bands and so forth. She even said a band like the Yardbirds had more musical credibility in one finger than Motley Crue and something along the lines of "mark my words, no-one will know the name Motley Crue in 2 years". And that was it for me. I've had 35 years to get over it but she can still suck a dick.

So for me:
  1. Show No Mercy (The Antichrist is a monster)
  2. Reign in Blood
  3. South of Heaven/Seasons in the Abyss
  4. Haunting the Chapel (my mate had this picture disc and he freaking played it to death).
  5. Repentless (I reckon its harshly judged)
  6. the rest I don't care for.

Last edited:
I love lists, let me get involved. Worth noting, I was never a Slayer fan back in the day.

Hell Awaits is the 1st album of theirs I bought and I hated it ('Kill Again' is a great track though) - still do. If you will allow me to indulge.....a huge part of the reason I 'hated' the band from day 1 was because at the time there was big article in Cream magazine by this b*tch Sylvie Simmons who absolutely paid out on the mighty Crue, saying they would be forgotten in a few years UNLIKE a band like Slayer who had just put out Hell Awaits etc. And she went into detail comparing the artistic and musical merits of the two bands and so forth. She even said a band like the Yardbirds had more musical credibility in one finger than Motley Crue and something along the lines of "mark my words, no-one will know the name Motley Crue in 2 years". And that was it for me. I've had 35 years to get over it but she can still suck a dick.

So for me:
  2. Reign in Blood
  4. Haunting the Chapel (my mate had this picture disc and he freaking played it to death).

Time to revisit Hell Awaits - death metal prototype album.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell Awaits is the 1st album of theirs I bought and I hated it ('Kill Again' is a great track though) - still do. If you will allow me to indulge.....a huge part of the reason I 'hated' the band from day 1 was because at the time there was big article in Cream magazine by this b*tch Sylvie Simmons who absolutely paid out on the mighty Crue, saying they would be forgotten in a few years UNLIKE a band like Slayer who had just put out Hell Awaits etc. And she went into detail comparing the artistic and musical merits of the two bands and so forth. She even said a band like the Yardbirds had more musical credibility in one finger than Motley Crue and something along the lines of "mark my words, no-one will know the name Motley Crue in 2 years". And that was it for me. I've had 35 years to get over it but she can still suck a dick.

So for me:
  2. Reign in Blood
I can feel the rage, nothing like holding a good grudge just because. Kind of like when a housemate gave his girlfriend my leftover lasagna which she gobbled down like no tomorrow, then complained it was a bit dry. YOU WOT! That was 25 years ago.

I can feel the rage, nothing like holding a good grudge just because. Kind of like when a housemate gave his girlfriend my leftover lasagna which she gobbled down like no tomorrow, then complained it was a bit dry. YOU WOT! That was 25 years ago.

The Heartwork grudge.

I completely misread that. At first I thought he gave her your leftover lasagne after she gobbled him like there was no tomorrow (fair), and then complained it was a bit dry (not what you want to hear after that).

Slayer ranked

1. South of Heaven
2. Reign in Blood
3. Show No Mercy
4. Hell Awaits
5. Seasons in the Abyss
6. World Painted Blood
7. Divine Intervention
8. Christ Illusion
9. God Hates Us All
10. Repentless
11. Diabolus in musica
Undisputed Attitude should be slipped in around six. I know it was covers but it's better than most of the bottom half.

It's a shame Hanneman didn't do more punk stuff and do a proper punk side project. He had a great voice for punk too.

Just arrived
8642e9d80c1aa8d118648779a79c91be.jpg

Possibly - this was the only copy I ever bought from memory. The article was actually comparing Motley Crue to The Yardbirds. Slayer got thrown in for good measure.

Reckon Cream and Hit Parader were for that crowd. Seems the more metal mags in the 80s were English (Metal Hammer, Metal Forces and Kerrang were pretty decent for mainstream press - particularly Metal Hammer and Metal Forces). Metal Hammer released a couple of issues of a magazine called "Thrash" around 89 - 90 which was really good. It was actually more death metal but catered to the extreme crowd. Wasn't around for long. Not sure when the Yanks got Metal Maniacs going but think that was also decent for mainstream press and competed with Terrorizer in the 90s. Great gateway vehicles (together with "thanks lists") before the age of the internet.

Reckon Cream and Hit Parader were for that crowd. Seems the more metal mags in the 80s were English (Metal Hammer, Metal Forces and Kerrang were pretty decent for mainstream press - particularly Metal Hammer and Metal Forces). Metal Hammer released a couple of issues of a magazine called "Thrash" around 89 - 90 which was really good. It was actually more death metal but catered to the extreme crowd. Wasn't around for long. Not sure when the Yanks got Metal Maniacs going but think that was also decent for mainstream press and competed with Terrorizer in the 90s. Great gateway vehicles (together with "thanks lists") before the age of the internet.

Metal Hammer and Kerrang sure have s**t the bed. Circus & Metal Edge were the others that were great for a few years. Circus was amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back