Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been in the exact same spot over the last year or so... I kinda thought I was on top of Black Metal to a degree, but I have not even heard of 90% of the bands coming out these days - even by name, and when you look them up a majority of them haven't existed prior to 2019, Must've been the effect of covi, haha. Bit ironic that a genre that founded itself on trying to be as inaccessible as possible in retaliation to Death and Thrash is probably comfortably the more popular of the three? Then again, the production is meant to be a bit naff so it's easy to produce from home by yourself without having to worry about quality like other genres would, maybe.

Slapping together a polished home made recording with no experience has never been easier too.

I'm so bored with new bands. Most of the time I find anything new I listen to is either trying to reinvent the wheel or trying to hard to mimic something else. I have a very refined black metal sound I like. I just want to hear that but with a slightly different flavour every time. It's surprisingly hard to find.

I have a list of problems with a lot of black metal and most of it stems from posers trying too hard - it is usually lo fi TH worship rubbish which attracts that type. Reckon most of them move on after a few years too and thank fu** they usually have no interest in death, thrash and heavy metal.

It probably takes more effort to make a lo fi recording these days. It just screams of poser to do it now.

I guess I am a little different in that I came (very) late to the BM party (it was a long walk from the Sunset Strip) and so for me the last 2-3 years have been a massive exploration of new and old BM bands, variations of the style and so forth. I have discovered more interesting new BM bands in the last 12 months than the previous 10 years of my life. It's still a little new to me and I am having the time of my life.

Bandcamp, YouTube, Spotify, forum recomendations etc. are a never ending rabbit-hole of music and the challenge is both the volume of material out there and for someone like me who isn't as grim and frostbitten as others, differentiating the 'good' v the 'great'. So I trust my ears - if I dig it I dig it regardless of what people say (hello Uada).

And I cant wait for the new music I am going to discover these next 12 months.

Last edited:
A mate has been a huge Drudkh binge this last month or so and its rubbed off on me this week - 'Blood in our Wells' and 'Autumn Aurora' have been on a fair bit this afternoon. I bought Microcosmos and Handful of Stars but that's all I have. Will fix that.

Absolutely love the opening riff after the intro on Autumn Aurora. Blood in our Wells is probably my favourite too.

Really surprised we haven't seen another Drudkh in the last 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smashing some bench press in the garage to Dokken - Tooth n Nail, still have asperations to post a top 10, mite unwind later & try slap something together (aswell as check out some of the bands you guys have posted)

Looking forward to your list. Also, I had Tooth & Nail on this morning. The solo in the title track is amazing.

Hey guys I'm launching a new show format tonight at 8pm. I'm essentially creating "street press in video" with gig reviews/previews. Interested on feedback on what you like, don't like and any suggested improvements. Cheers!

Hey guys I'm launching a new show format tonight at 8pm. I'm essentially creating "street press in video" with gig reviews/previews. Interested on feedback on what you like, don't like and any suggested improvements. Cheers!

... and trust there to be a swag of gig cancellations the same minute I put out a gig guide for January. F*ck how I hate governments in Australia.

PACMAN'S HIGH SCORES-----2021..

AGENT STEEL - No other godz, gay ass Cher vocals Fkd it! So f*%ck them actually ALICE COOPER - Detroit Stories was better!

CANNIBAL CORPSE - Violence Unimagined Subpar compared to Skeletal Domain, lacks quality production & missing Pat O'Brien's manic riffs & solo's. Still a solid release with Rob Barrett's hooky input: Inhumane Harvest & Murderous Rampage. Rutan's Ritual Annihilation goes alright. Alot of side B just sounds like CC jamming out at a mates house.

EVILE - Hell Unleasheed Track 1's a clear tip of the hat to Arise, the vibe remains beneath the album throughout. Their best work to date, a rare & hard to ignore UK thrash gem!

EXTINCTION A.D. - Chaos, Collusion, Carnage & Propaganda [EP] 11 minute 4 track E.P worth checking out, decent Sepul cover song on there..

MAYHEM - Atavistic Black Disorder / Kommando [EP], Side A

NECROMANTIA - To the Depths We Descend... Just some good ol' tru Greek Black Metal s**t if you're into it there's a few good songs on there, particularly Eldritch which is as good as any song released in '21

VULTURE - Dealin' Death Great sound, riffs, songs, etc, just needs more blistering solo's, some of them barely cut the mustard

KISS - Off The Soundboard: Tokyo 2001 Live album of the year, such a s**t year for going to gigs, this recording hit the spot!

WICKED SMILE - Wait For The Night A good old fashioned heavy metal/hard rock album for those of us partial to Gunners, Dokken, RATT & Def Leppard.

YOTH IRIA - As the Flame Withers Was initially a toss up between this & NECROMANTIA - To the Depths We Descend... for Greek Black Metal album of the year. Killer fisrt song, The Great Hunter, track 4 The Mantis, 5 The Crown Turns Black also pretty killer. Seen the album is ranked amongst top 20 gbm albums of all time already & deservidly so.

Top few would be the Yoth Iria, Evile & WS albums for me, this year was a pissweak one compared to last year for albums, I'd have rather given a top 10 or 20 songs!

** Note - Forgive the late edits, was pissing on in the neighbors pool all evening, but was determined to get a Top 10 in out of respect for the late great Malcolm Dome, just awoke only to sink a few more cans & metal on!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back