HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Seeing Megadeth tonight, only just found out they were playing here 2 days ago. Never know when the last chance to see them is gonna be (tonight is my 4th time) so I'm glad I already had the day off work. Honestly only just gave Dystopia a proper go this last month as I mostly keep to the classics and was suprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
You sound a bit like me. That said as I’ve gotten older I’ve enjoyed them more. Perhaps try Killing Technology - from 87 and produced by Harris Johns. A band you have to invest some time in.
Gave it a bash but unfortunately didn't do much for me. Although, they definitely sound like I'd enjoy them once they click. When that might be is anyone's guess. ;)

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
First time I ever left a concert and it was still daylight.... Megadeth had no support and played from 8:15-9:30...,although I have to say they put on a hell of a show by themselves. Dave still rips it up on guitar, and he picks his backup musicians so well. Kiko Loureiro is a beast, I kid you not, he played every single note pitch perfect. Every single note. And he made it look easy. James Lomenzo holds his own and Dirk Verbeuren held it up on drums but obviously Dave is still the star. And at 60 years old he's still playing as fast and precise as he ever was. He is now in my mind putting Metallica to shame how he is still playing like that (and I absolutely love Metallica). A complete musician dedicated to his craft, that's all you can say after witnessing that.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
Saw their QLD support line up, looks pretty solid, would be a decent night imo
Yeah, Odius and Massic are also pretty good live bands. That said, im a bit sick so will probably pass this time. I've seen KP, Massic & Odius several times each so i reckon im not missing too much

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Seeing Megadeth tonight, only just found out they were playing here 2 days ago. Never know when the last chance to see them is gonna be (tonight is my 4th time) so I'm glad I already had the day off work. Honestly only just gave Dystopia a proper go this last month as I mostly keep to the classics and was suprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Enjoy mate, hanging out for them to announce a tour for here. Dystopia is a good listen, their recent catalog has been good stuff (except for Supercollider)

First time I ever left a concert and it was still daylight.... Megadeth had no support and played from 8:15-9:30...,although I have to say they put on a hell of a show by themselves. Dave still rips it up on guitar, and he picks his backup musicians so well. Kiko Loureiro is a beast, I kid you not, he played every single note pitch perfect. Every single note. And he made it look easy. James Lomemzo holds his own and Chris Adler Held it up on drums but obviously Dave is still the star. And at 60 years old he's still playing as fast and precise as he ever was. He is now in my mind putting Metallica to shame how he is still playing like that (and I absolutely love Metallica). A complete musician dedicated to his craft, that's all you can say after witnessing that.

I've seen them 7 times, and they've never been anything less than spectacular. Easily in the conversation of greatest live bands ever.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I've seen them 7 times, and they've never been anything less than spectacular. Easily in the conversation of greatest live bands ever.

He certainly knows how to get good musicians, I've seen them with Glen Drover, Chris Broderick and Kiko and they all rip it. Drover is not really a shredder and maybe slightly underrated next to those two guys but he has great tone and can really play.

He certainly knows how to get good musicians, I've seen them with Glen Drover, Chris Broderick and Kiko and they all rip it. Drover is not really a shredder and maybe slightly underrated next to those two guys but he has great tone and can really play.

I can't remember the exact quote, but Mustaine did respond once that the reason he's such an amazing player himself is because of who he plays with, and that if he had the slightest drop off personally he'd be embarrassed by how far behind they'd leave him

On the other hand, when Al Pitrelli was in the band he once mentioned how he was looking forward to some time off on tour, but Mustaine pointed a few things he needed to improve on, so he had to spend those days practising.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
First time I ever left a concert and it was still daylight.... Megadeth had no support and played from 8:15-9:30...,although I have to say they put on a hell of a show by themselves. Dave still rips it up on guitar, and he picks his backup musicians so well. Kiko Loureiro is a beast, I kid you not, he played every single note pitch perfect. Every single note. And he made it look easy. James Lomemzo holds his own and Chris Adler Held it up on drums but obviously Dave is still the star. And at 60 years old he's still playing as fast and precise as he ever was. He is now in my mind putting Metallica to shame how he is still playing like that (and I absolutely love Metallica). A complete musician dedicated to his craft, that's all you can say after witnessing that.

Adler on drums?

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could never get into Voivod to be honest. Tried but failed a few times. What's their best? Maybe I'll try again??

You sound a bit like me. That said as I’ve gotten older I’ve enjoyed them more. Perhaps try Killing Technology - from 87 and produced by Harris Johns. A band you have to invest some time in.

100% Killing Technology or Dimension Hatross. A unique sound for sure.

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Adler on drums?
Whoops that was a slip of the tongue, Dirk Verbeuren*. I did write that after about 50 beers so try to forgive me. Dave was talking about Lamb of God and the song he did with them before they played Wake up Dead so I guess he was in my head from that. Although he's not even part of Lamb of God anymore so who knows...

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
I enjoyed it a lot. I listened on the earphones and the bass sounded pretty high in the mix for a Megadeth song, I wonder if that's a "* you" to Ellefson? (Yes I believe Mustaine would be this petty)

Certainly not as sterile sounding as Dystopia. Flashes of personality in the song which (to me) was missing on the previous album. It’s not going to displace Tornado of Souls on any set list but enjoyable.

I really enjoyed that new Megadeth, fast, precise, aggressive, exactly what they built themselves on. Looking forward to the album as a whole.

So much Crüe and RATT

Will give it a listen on my way home tonight.

Back