Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Motorhead - Rock & Roll. Remember getting it shortly after release at a store in Lilydale (!). Bought the cassette. Immediately thought Lemmy was a read bad arse with his gruff vocal style.

Anyone have any guilty metal listening pleasures they are prepared to own up to? It's Friday so I'm going out on a limb - here's a couple that may get me red-carded lol:

1. Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison
2. Nickelback: All the Right Reasons
3. Papa Roach: The Paramour Sessions

I'll show myself out.....

Tbh, I never got all the hate for Nickelback. Not really my thing, but I can appreciate it is the sort of rock music that gets a lot of mainstream attention, but I've always thought it curious how there's such a gulf between their popularity and the critical reception. Doubt I've ever seen such a popular band get such a pile on, and to me they don't seem that different than most of the critic's darlings.

Tbh, I never got all the hate for Nickelback. Not really my thing, but I can appreciate it is the sort of rock music that gets a lot of mainstream attention, but I've always thought it curious how there's such a gulf between their popularity and the critical reception. Doubt I've ever seen such a popular band get such a pile on, and to me they don't seem that different than most of the critic's darlings.

Most of it stems from earlier interviews with Chad Kroeger where he blatantly stated that they write radio friendly songs that are easy to write and sell. He admitted that they abandoned their early hard rock sound deliberately in consultation with their Management. And those radio friendly songs are pretty awful - but they sell.

I've copied the below from somewhere:

"Haters ride Nickelback for being inauthentic, faking their way through uninspired, uncool post-grunge for purely commercial purposes, Anttonen surmises. The Canadian group relies on tried-and-true soft rock tropes and rarely attempt to play anything innovative, sticking with what will reliably get radio play.”
"They follow genre expectations too well, which is seen as empty imitation, but also not well enough, which is read as commercial tactics and as a lack of a stable and sincere identity.”

Anyone have any guilty metal listening pleasures they are prepared to own up to? It's Friday so I'm going out on a limb - here's a couple that may get me red-carded lol:

1. Bullet for My Valentine: The Poison
2. Nickelback: All the Right Reasons
3. Papa Roach: The Paramour Sessions

I'll show myself out.....
Geez, if you named 70s disco bands I could have forgiven you but...

At Abramelin and it is embarrassing how many slobs smell like s**t. Body odour of all types - you have to be a special kind of loser to leave your house smelling like s**t (keep in mind we are in the middle of winter too). One campaigner had that rotten sock/shoe smell combined with standard fat campaigner sweating in a hoody and never washing odour. Not usually an issue at most shows I go to but it has stood out this evening. If anyone is on their way down please bring a can of Glen 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At Abramelin and it is embarrassing how many slobs smell like s**t. Body odour of all types - you have to be a special kind of loser to leave your house smelling like s**t (keep in mind we are in the middle of winter too). One campaigner had that rotten sock/shoe smell combined with standard fat campaigner sweating in a hoody and never washing odour. Not usually an issue at most shows I go to but it has stood out this evening. If anyone is on their way down please bring a can of Glen 20.
The rain may have had a bit to do with it? Or maybe they needed to stand out in the rain for 20 minutes?

I bailed on the Abramelin show as the bands weren't too keen being film (asides from Carcinoid). The flip side is I finished the edit for Stalker... metal pr0n! Probably the best set I've filmed at the Bendi. Just had a Caligula's Horse show approved but may touch up the audio.

Some bloke looks to be filming all bands from behind the mixer. Must be doing it on the sly.

From being in the pit or just neck bearded meth head grubs? If you haven't mastered basic hygiene by your teens you're a sub-human maggot imo!

In other news I mite try score a new set of headphones thru the Prime 3 day deals coming up. My old Sennheiser ones are so f*d with the padding all breaking up, probably from all the unwashed oil, wax & sweat I didn't clean from around my ears haha

From being in the pit or just neck bearded meth head grubs? If you haven't mastered basic hygiene by your teens you're a sub-human maggot imo!

In other news I mite try score a new set of headphones thru the Prime 3 day deals coming up. My old Sennheiser ones are so f*d with the padding all breaking up, probably from all the unwashed oil, wax & sweat I didn't clean from around my ears haha

Up the back and old enough to know better.

T
The new Manowar ep. 14 mins with only one song (which goes for six minutes). Check out the track ‘Immortal’ lads - the worst drum machine with the worst programming you’ll likely ever hear. Try not to laugh at the snare fills. Sad to say but Joey needs to leave the hall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back