Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
I love a good 'back in the day' story as much as the next guy. Actually, my wife thinks my life is one big back in the day story lol.

Also, good old mum eh? Imagine her rocking up with a Death album under her arm.

Good old mum. Threw my Conspiracy lp at me frisbee style around Nov/Dec 89 (can't remember what I had done). She took me to city to buy another copy the following week. A couple of years later I gave her some cheek at Diamond Creek Tuckerbag and consequently was not allowed to go to the Morbid Angel show (Christbait, Necrotomy and Morbid Angel).

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Good old mum. Threw my Conspiracy lp at me frisbee style around Nov/Dec 89 (can't remember what I had done). She took me to city to buy another copy the following week. A couple of years later I gave her some cheek at Diamond Creek Tuckerbag and consequently was not allowed to go to the Morbid Angel show (Christbait, Necrotomy and Morbid Angel).

I know a bloke who got pinged wagging school back in the day and was forbidden to go and see Metallica at Festival Hall on the Justice tour (he already had tickets), he talks about it like the loss of a family member.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood

What a ripper. Hell hath no fury like a mother scorned.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know a bloke who got pinged wagging school back in the day and was forbidden to go and see Metallica at Festival Hall on the Justice tour (he already had tickets), he talks about it like the loss of a family member.

Wow, that’s taking it a bit too far.

My mum ripped all the KISS posters off my bedroom wall when she found me and a mate looking at a Playboy in Grade 5. Love Gun Tour posters etc. Still shattered.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Wow, that’s taking it a bit too far.

My mum ripped all the KISS posters off my bedroom wall when she found me and a mate looking at a Playboy in Grade 5. Love Gun Tour posters etc. Still shattered.

I had my Kiss make up set taken off me in around 82/83 for going too close to my eyes with my attempt at Gene Simmons facepaint. Legit can recall the smell of the stuff circa 40 years on.

Maybe I'm a bit old but Kiss were never a band I enjoyed at all, so many slightly older metalheads than me (I'm 41) seem to love them, Ace Frehley seems to be their guitar hero.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Maybe I'm a bit old but Kiss were never a band I enjoyed at all, so many slightly older metalheads than me (I'm 41) seem to love them, Ace Frehley seems to be their guitar hero.

Really loved the image and some of the songs as a young boy. Ace was the coolest for sure. Great gateway act for me and listen to some of the 70s stuff now and then. Probably go see them this month. First band I really went mad for was Twisted Sister.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe I'm a bit old but Kiss were never a band I enjoyed at all, so many slightly older metalheads than me (I'm 41) seem to love them, Ace Frehley seems to be their guitar hero

Really loved the image and some of the songs as a young boy. Ace was the coolest for sure. Great gateway act for me and listen to some of the 70s stuff now and then. Probably go see them this month. First band I really went mad for was Twisted Sister.

KISS' 80s output is amazing, my favorite era. Ace definitely the coolest, big soft spot for VV the lunatic though (so many lolz). Its amazing how many songs some members don't even play on across all the albums. Staggering actually. They seem to be quite open about it all.

Was a bit young for Death when they were around, but when I started taking music seriously I went back to catch up with all these key bands I'd heard of. Leprosy grabbed me right away, and is still my favourite DM album by anyone. The Sound of Perseverance didn't grab me at first (mostly the vox), but with a few listens it won me over; the musicianship is unrivalled and the radical change in vocal style just carries a sense of desperation and anguish (I wonder how bad his health was then, and if he knew his time was short). It'd probably be in my top 10 albums by anyone if I made a list, but to me it's not even a DM album, it inhabits a space all of its own.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Probably a dab hand at sewing too, deathevocation sounds like he probably had a jacket with patches too back in the day (or maybe still does)

Never had a battle jacket. Like the straight forward black jeans and black jacket combo (either leather or denim for the jacket). Black leather vest makes an appearance occasionally too.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Was a bit young for Death when they were around, but when I started taking music seriously I went back to catch up with all these key bands I'd heard of. Leprosy grabbed me right away, and is still my favourite DM album by anyone. The Sound of Perseverance didn't grab me at first (mostly the vox), but with a few listens it won me over; the musicianship is unrivalled and the radical change in vocal style just carries a sense of desperation and anguish (I wonder how bad his health was then, and if he knew his time was short). It'd probably be in my top 10 albums by anyone if I made a list, but to me it's not even a DM album, it inhabits a space all of its own.

Relapse ****ed up the Leprosy shirts. Back in the day the backprint was awesome -

My mate Troy did some damage in this shirt at the Eltham Blue Light Disco in 92/93.

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
Got KISS tickets for the following Saturday, but can't go cause it's my best mates 40th that night. I'll have to catch another Kisstroyer show soon to make up for it!

Back