Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not really into Trivium, but * me they are amazing live. The way they worked the crowd was very different to In Flames last night; it wasn't forced, just four guys enjoying themselves and the connection with the crowd. Even though what they do isn't really my thing, I can still appreciate how good they are as musicians and the effort they put in; they've toured here 14 times now.

I'm not into Trivium either but I'd imagine they would be pretty intense live.

They're normally pretty good at Max Watts...the main security guard there has pretty much watched me grow up, lol.

The security at the Bendigo Hotel are great. I don't know if they even exist.
I know the head of security at Max Watts, great bloke and a solid unit. Most of the others rotate through depending on the roster.

The Bendi guys are quite sociable, only twice seen issues and they were dealt with quickly.

The peeps running Last Chance Bar have a campaign to buy the Tote. Looking for lifetime members at $1000 bucks. They need 2800 people to sign up.

Apparently it is up for sale and likely not to be a rock venue if they don't raise the funds. I'm happy to chip in a grand to keep it running.

More in the link.

I know the head of security at Max Watts, great bloke and a solid unit. Most of the others rotate through depending on the roster.

The Bendi guys are quite sociable, only twice seen issues and they were dealt with quickly.
.definitely a solid unit. Those arms are tree trunks.

Enjoying the new Metal Church song, new vocalist has massive shoes to fill but sounds pretty good to me.

Ahhh it’s the Ross the Boss guy. Decent vocalist imo. Sounds slightly like David Wayne era a bit.

The peeps running Last Chance Bar have a campaign to buy the Tote. Looking for lifetime members at $1000 bucks. They need 2800 people to sign up.

Apparently it is up for sale and likely not to be a rock venue if they don't raise the funds. I'm happy to chip in a grand to keep it running.

More in the link.

Fair windfall for them if they get it. From memory they think they need $6m and are seeking half of that via donations. Image getting hold of that freehold and only having to pay 50% of it. Generational wealth. That said I don’t think they’ll get anywhere near $3m in donations - they’ll need a white knight and that means someone who will want an ownership interest in the land.

Fair windfall for them if they get it. From memory they think they need $6m and are seeking half of that via donations. Image getting hold of that freehold and only having to pay 50% of it. Generational wealth. That said I don’t think they’ll get anywhere near $3m in donations - they’ll need a white knight and that means someone who will want an ownership interest in the land.
It's between 6m and 6.6m. They're loading up on debt to get about half way.

If it's a unit trust with caveats so you obtain equity that may entice. A bit like a co-op.

It's between 6m and 6.6m. They're loading up on debt to get about half way.

If it's a unit trust with caveats so you obtain equity that may entice. A bit like a co-op.
Sounds like a good scam. Do I at least get a medallion like at Chasers back in the day?

I think they're legit as they run a small venue (Last Chance). I don't know the fine print of the trust setup they have in mind.
I'd actually be up for it but can't really recall the last time they had a half decent show there since Blood Duster years ago.. Seems like more of a punk rock spot in my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been less metal there of late but it has a lot to do with management. Last Chance have plenty of metal shows.
It has potential but would be just spinning it's wheels in it's current format, I had a good look at it the other day, it needs a proper reno. A rooftop bar/lounge area with a couple levels of accommodation above that, or at least a full ground level extension & re-vamp. It's zoned as a hotel in a well built up pocket so I reckon it suits a group of developers, hopefully metal-heads. Downside I think would be the ground floor capacity, how do the numbers stack up in comparison to the Bendigo?

It has potential but would be just spinning it's wheels in it's current format, I had a good look at it the other day, it needs a proper reno. A rooftop bar/lounge area with a couple levels of accommodation above that, or at least a full ground level extension & re-vamp. It's zoned as a hotel in a well built up pocket so I reckon it suits a group of developers, hopefully metal-heads. Downside I think would be the ground floor capacity, how do the numbers stack up in comparison to the Bendigo?
IIRC Bendi is 220-250, Tote is 300-330. The Tote is a better band room and their upstage room is a bit more functional. Neither venue fully utilise the second level.

I know the booker for the Bendi, he is bringing quite a few international bands to the Bendi. I don't think the booker at the Tote is anywhere as active in that regard. I don't know the current management at the Tote, but they've twice stuffed up super payments for staff so I don't think they're all that great.

The shitty thing is when developers get a hold of it then it'll go for good, just like the Arthouse.

No doubt - it's a bizarre habit. Imagine being in the front row and filming the entire show on your phone? * me. Had friends next door and they sent a photo. Legit never seen some many amateur camera people.
Went and seen Heilung the other week there at Luna Park. Was near enough right up the back and there was a guy just near me who was spending lots of time recording the show on his phone. He was zoomed all the way to try and get a close-up which just made the picture all grainy and if you don't have a super steady hand whilst zoomed in, it'll wobble all over the place - which his did. Thought to myself "Why bother?" because he'll never rewatch it given the quality.

Ok so had a great day yesterday at Knotfest, the bands were top notch, good crowd and atmosphere. Shame the bar on the left was shut for a few hours due to not being able to do transactions for some reason, only real hiccup I reckon.

Glad I got there for Malevolence, they were awesome, high energy and the crowd seemed to love em. Void of Vision were ok, not really my thing, Story of the Year same. Spiritbox were ok, Northlane I'm not really into or Alpha Wolf but they had a dip.

Amon Amarth have got one of the better metal frontmen I've seen, he's great at engaging with the crowd. They are always fun to see, the crowd really gets into it, raises their cans etc, great tunes as well. Trivium, like every other time I've seen em, meh.They try hard and play great, they've just never really grabbed me.

Loved Megadeth as usual, felt like such a short set after Wednesday but good tunes and great singalongs. Parkway Drive were epic, the huge festivals they play in Europe mean they can certainly pull this sort of show off. Their vocalist really pulls it off live too, really clean brutal growls, never seems to get out of breath, great show.

Slipknot pick of the day though of course, they're a force to be reckoned with alright, monster set, all the hits (that I know of anyway). Crowd really into it as well of course.

Unfortunately I fell over outside Flemington because I was way too drunk, scraped my elbow, geez my wife was proud of me this morning ha ha

IIRC Bendi is 220-250, Tote is 300-330. The Tote is a better band room and their upstage room is a bit more functional. Neither venue fully utilise the second level.

I know the booker for the Bendi, he is bringing quite a few international bands to the Bendi. I don't think the booker at the Tote is anywhere as active in that regard. I don't know the current management at the Tote, but they've twice stuffed up super payments for staff so I don't think they're all that great.

The shitty thing is when developers get a hold of it then it'll go for good, just like the Arthouse.
Good to know 👍🏻

Yeah I didn't think it held that many, also read an article saying the owners were burnt out, over it, etc.

Apparently Sigh made >$4k on merch at the Bendi. Good going if true.

I bought two shirts that night, given it was my first gig since Covid and how good they were. Glad to have helped, hope it encourages them to come back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back