BigFooty GOTY - 2019 remastered day one edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We made it. It's that time of year again. Time to remember every new release turd and gem you played this year and put them in an order of 1 through to 10. Usually we do a cut off of 31st of December, but after much thinking, this year we'll extend it to the 5th of January. This is because from experience many of the regulars use their Christmas/New Years holiday to cram anything they may have missed. If this is you then you've got the second week of your break as well.

THE RULES
  1. The game must have been released between 1st of January and 31st of December 2019.
  2. Re-releases in the form of ports or re-masters for a new platform are accepted. As odd as it sounds, it's just more inclusive as not everyone here plays every game and may otherwise struggle to fill out a top 10. Re-releases to include to include all post release content or super duper versions are not accepted. Use your noodle on this one.
  3. DLC/Expansions don't count
  4. The game must have released in its full 1.0 state. Early access titles don't count either.
  5. It will be your top 10, from 1 through to 10. 1 being worth 10 votes through to 10 being 1 vote. Honourable mentions won't be included but you can feel free to add them.
  6. You're free to change your votes at any time up until the cut off date.

It can be pretty hard remembering everything you've played in a years so feel free to take your time. I've chucked in some links to stuff that might help jog your memory a bit if that helps. As usual, you can feel free to provide a little review of each game, or reasoning on why you chose it. Discussion is fine but it would be fantastic if the actual top 10s are formatted clearly so it's easier for me to go through at the end.

If you had a biggest disappointment for the year then that's also welcome to add as a footnote.

Don't forget that we also have your top 3 games of the decade thread https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/top-3-games-of-the-decade.1233092/

1. Slay the Spire
2. Disco Elysium
3. Sekiro
4. Fire Emblem: 3 Houses
5. The Outer Worlds
6. Control
7. Tetris 99
8. Shenmue 3
9. Astral Chain
10. Jedi: Fallen Order

Will do a proper write up later but pretty happy with where my top 10 sits.

1. Disco Elysium
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Death Stranding
4. Apex Legends
5. Control
6. Judgment
7: AI: The Somnium Files
8. Baba is You
9. A Plague Tale: Innocence
10. Jedi Fallen Order

Biggest disappointment: The Outer Worlds

Last edited:
5th of Jan in the OP. A lot of people in the past crammed stuff they missed in the last week of the year, but as many people have the first week of January off then this year we've extended it by a week.
imo it should be cut off at the end of Jan.

That way it gives people some extra time to finish off games, get more time into them ext

I know last year when I did my list at the end of December it was different to what it would have looked like if I had the extra month to get further into games, play some late year releases ext.

Just my opinion

1. Control
After a slow start it exceeded my expectations with fantastic world building, combined with some of the most fun traversal and combat mechanics. Quantum Break was just a little bump in the road for Remedy, Control was a huge return to form.

2. Resident Evil 2
This was my GOTY for most of the year. My favourite PS1 game remade to absolute perfection, the best RE has ever felt to play. Best looking game for me this year by far.

3. Tetris 99
The true king of Battle Royale and what an insane idea it was. Of all the wins on other BR games, my win on this felt the best and most rewarding.

4. Fire Emblem Three Houses
Never played a Fire Emblem game and was questioning why I was bothering after 4 hours into this. Currently im at 19 hours and absolutely hooked. Had I played it earlier it would've got close to my number 1.

5. Links Awakening
A remake of one of my favourite game boy games that looks gorgeous and gets the job done without overstaying it's welcome. Fun trip down memory lane and retains that Nintendo charm.

6. Untitled Goose Game
Ignoring the meme culture that grew around it, this game was a joy to play. Just wish it was a bit longer or there was some DLC on the way.

7. Jedi Fallen Order
Another I was late to play. Still working my way through but I'm enjoying everything about Uncharted: Star Wars Edition and have yet to encounter any glitches, playing it on the One X.

8. Outer Wilds
One of my sleeper hits of the year and all thanks to gamepass. A weird feeling of relaxing unease as you randomly explore space, trying to unravel what is happening before the sun goes super nova and resets the loop.

9. Blood N Truth
The standout game for PSVR. I just wish the tracking on the PSVR was better, this game deserves it with the production values and well thought out use of the tech.

10. Luigis Mansion 3
Wasn't a fan of the 2nd game so was a little hesitant going into this one. Still haven't finished but this would be one of the best looking Switch games to date. The combination of art style, physics and attention to the smallest of details, with a sprinkle of that classic Nintendo charm.

Didn't feel like a big year so I was thinking there wasn't gonna be enough for a top 10, but there's so many that missed out and others that i have yet to play.

Shout outs to Ape Out, Pokemon Sword, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare, Apex Legends, Outer Worlds, Astral Chain, Void Bastards and CTR.

Last edited:
Is there any reason for that? The FFXIV expansion was one of the best reviewed games of the year. And I'm pretty sure I've voted for expansions in the past such as Blood and Wine.

Just to keep it simple and sticking to new releases (with the exception of ports/re-releases as we always have). Otherwise we have to differentiate between fully fledged expansions and seasonal content. In the past the years have probably been pretty slim pickings so we just allowed that. This was a pretty decent year though so it shouldn't be as tough. Though it's completely open to change if that's what enough people want. I just wanted to keep it as gray area free as possible.

1. Control (PC) 9.5/10

This game wowed me from the moment it started until the moment it ended. Graphically gorgeous, with some truly spectacular lighting and particle effects, the gameplay also excelled. Manipulating the environment to take down enemies was hugely enjoyable. Weapons were a sideshow to your 'force' powers but they felt punchy. Remedy always excels at creating unique atmospheres and Control was no exception. Funny and creepy and odd and often at the same time. It was just a shame that the game was too ambitious to really be done justice on current generation consoles.

2. Resident Evil 2 (PC) 9/10

An incredibly atmospheric and cinematic game. I'm never been a huge fan of Resident Evil and yet RE7 was my game of the year in 2017 and RE2 almost replicated that again this year. When I think of remakes this is really the gold standard - it captures the feeling and mood of the original, never compromising that vision, but does so with cutting edge technology.

3. Gears of War 5 (PC) 8.5/10

Gears returned to form with its latest outing. Game is spectacular visually - among the best I've ever seen - and the gameplay remains top tier among 3rd person shooters. Even enjoyed the multi-player with some new modes that I was actually pretty good at.

4. Life is Strange 2 (PC) 8/10

The sequel may not be as good as its predecessor but it still throws a few emotional haymakers. The story of two brothers, whose lives get torn apart, twists and turns across the United States. This is a game that really hasn't something to say about modern day society. Its greatest weakness is its structure - a roadtrip means that characters appear and disappear - which sits in stark contrast to the community feeling generated by Arcadia Bay. Where Life is Strange 2 really impresses is with its finale, which has far more nuance than the binary choice in the original.

5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC) 8/10

I expect greatness from Respawn. Fallen Order never quite reached that. But it is still really good. I love Metroidvanias, it is probably my favourite game design, and so I found the level design of Fallen Order to be immensely satisfying. I could spend hours just cruising around, exploring new paths and finding new treasures (although the loot was garbage). Respawn created an authentic Star Wars experience. I felt like a Jedi - albeit a fairly grounded one.

6. The Outer Worlds (PC) 8/10

Fallout meets Mass Effect. That's an easy yes for me. There was little original in Outer Worlds. But games like Fallout and Mass Effect don't come out that often so I'm okay with that. I love an RPG that gives you options - give me a terminal that allows me to hack weapon systems and robots and I couldn't be happier. Outer Worlds provides a tonne of options and felt very rewarding even if it did have some down moments.

7. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) 8/10

I don't really like the Zelda franchise. I found Breath of the Wild to be terribly boring despite loving open world RPGs. I think Ocarina of Time is archaic and has aged terribly. I didn't expect to like Link's Awakening and yet here we are. I enjoyed the dungeons - most of which were not necessarily difficult but did require a little thought - and thought that the world was well designed. The story was garbage - it is still Zelda after all - but I liked that it was a departure from the core group of characters that feature in almost every other game.

8. Shenmue 3 (PC) 7.5/10

It never ceases to amaze me that this got made, let alone on a shoe-string budget. Shenmue was, at the time of its release, the most ambitious videogame ever created. The same cannot be said about Shenmue 3. It is archaic in a number of ways. And some of the limitations of the original - stilted voice activing, characters fading in and out - are suddenly features of Shenmue 3. Yet the game feels immediately comfortable, a wonderful throwback to my teenage years. It is an immensely relaxing game, which combines high-stakes revenge with a range of mundane (but enjoyable) activities. Personally, I just like working on my kung-fu.

9. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) 7.5/10

Perhaps the prettiest Switch game. It was a nice relaxing experience. Gameplay was on point but had some frustrations. Level design had some nice puzzles that kept things interesting. Haven't yet finished it, otherwise it might have ranked higher.

10. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (PC) 7.5/10

A platform game that lets you have a crack at the boss as soon as you start playing. Of course, that boss level is also the aforementioned 'Impossible Lair' so good luck with that. The second Yooka-Laylee excels with great level design, a good challenge and an interesting hub-world that encourages exploration and reminded me alittle of Zelda. A great game for people who love Donkey Kong Country.

Honourable mentions:

Forza Horizon 4: Lego Speed Champions -
the game I never knew I needed. The best racing game for 2019 was this great DLC to the best racing game of 2018. Would have made my top 10 if we included DLCs.

Disco Elysium - I didn't play enough of this to rate it properly. It is clearly the best written game this year, with exceptionally strong narrative and characterisation, but I just didn't spend enough time with it. Will definitely dedicate a lot of time to in in 1Q2020.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1: Borderlands 3 - Not everyone’s cup of tea but had the most fun playing this then any other game this year. Loved jumping on and playing with my mates.

2: Jedi Fallen Order -This really surprised me. The early trailers made it look way to linear and clunky, but the game was a blast. Really really enjoyed the puzzle solving and the exploring, combat was passable but nothing to write home about.None the less quite enjoying and engaging.

3: The OuterWorlds - Enjoyed this game a fair bit, really solid base to build on for future RPGs by Obsidian now they are back in the game, only gripes was it was rather short and buggy.

4: Modern Warfare
5: Pokemon Sword and Shield
6: Rage 2
7: Gears 5
8: Age Of Empires 2 Definitive Edition
9: Links Awakening
10: Control

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
2. Dragon Quest 11 (Switch)
3. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
4. The Outer Worlds
5. Yooka-Laylee and the impossible lair
6. Pokémon Sword and Shield
7. Hat in Time (Switch)

These are pretty much the only games from this year that I’ve played, FE took a stupid amount of my time and is my clear number 1. I’ve got Fallen Order and New Super luckys tale I plan to play early next year.

1. Resident Evil 2
  2. Borderlands 3
  3. Control
  4. The Outer Worlds
  5. The Walking Dead: The Final Season
  6. Apex Legends
Those are the only 2019 releases I played. Everything else was from the immense backlog.

RE2 and then daylight to the rest, but they were all good.

Probably been the worst year of gaming I can remember for me personally

1. Star Wars Jedi fallen order great fun can’t wait for a sequel 9/10

2. Life is strange 2 pretty good fun different than the first but still love everything about the series 8/10

3. Assassins creed 3 re mastered this being on the list shows just how s**t I’ve rated the year

1 Death Stranding
2 Anthem
3 Days Gone
4 Borderlands 3
5 Mortal Kombat 11
6 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
7 Ghost Recon Breakpoint
8 The Division 2
9 Need for Speed Heat
10 Rage 2

Biggest disappointment was RE2 Remake, i rarely regret buying a game, where i felt i have got absolutely no value from my purchase but RE2 is one. I didn't enjoy a single moment of the 10 or so hours i played and just couldn't continue any further.

I think that is everything released this year that i played.
Control is the one game that i really wanted to play but haven't got around to it yet.

1. Death Stranding
2. Control
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Katana Zero

Really didn't play many new releases until really late in the year.

Death Stranding gets my vote just because it was the one game I spent the most time on, looked forward to coming to the most. Found its pace incredibly immersive and the overall experience extremely singular and memorable.

Just wrapped Control the other day. Very similar to Death Stranding in some ways - dripping in atmosphere and mystery, except gameplay is light on its feet and more "fun". I found it lacking some real eye popping moments though, especially for a game that promised to be mind bending. Also thought the game lacked real interesting upgrades and features. I didn't realise you could upgrade your gun until after I finished it, was surprised on default that it was relatively easy too. Still very good overall. Kind of the game I thought inFamous Second Son would be.

Never played an RE game until this year. Picked up RE7 before Halloween and loved it. Decided to pick up RE2 because of it. Very polished game. A bit linear. Will play it again as Claire soon.

Katana Zero is the only other game I really played, along with Modern Warfare which I liked enough but I'm reserving that 5th spot for Devil May Cry 5, which I just bought.

Did not finish Rage 2 or Days Gone. Didn't get into Anthem or Apex Legends. Haven't played Sekiro, Jedi Fallen Order, Outer Wilds, The Outer Worlds, or Life is Strange 2 yet.

Most of the best game I played this year were older releases. Spider-Man, God of War, HZD, Alien: Isolation, Titanfall 2, Doom, Gris, Papers Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back