BigFooty GOTY - 2020 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
* Work in progress *

1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox)

A wonderfully designed Metroidvania that improves upon the original in every conceivable way. A joy to play from beginning to end. This game is art.

2. Ghosts of Tsushima (PS5)

A visually stunning open-world adventure that borrows heavily from the Assassin's Creed titles but has such a strong sense of identity that it feels like it's own thing.

3. Spiderman: Miles Morales (PS5)

My first PS5 game and it's a technical marvel. As someone with relatively limited time, the shorter open-world experience was a huge plus for me. Miles controls wonderfully and Insomniac nailed the character moments in between the action.

4. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PC)

Who would have thought that a bunch of homeless people would create the most captivating JRPG crew of 2020? The Yakuza franchise shifted genres, without sacrificing much of its much-loved DNA, and the final result was exceptional.

5. Final Fantasy 7 Remake (PS4)

Not necessarily the remake I was looking for but a resounding success overall. Square Enix managed to overcome the shortfalls in FF15, to craft wonderful characters and a world that you'd happily return to. At one point I thought FF7 was going to be a 10/10 experience - some story / character decisions eventually fell short of that standard - but I was very pleased with the final product.

6. Persona 4: Golden (PC)

A game I'd wanted to play for years eventually found its way to PC and I gobbled it up. P4G is basically P5 with less polish and that's good enough to make it an outstanding title in any year. I spent almost 100 hours with this lovable group of characters and the long wait was certainly worth it.

7. The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4)

Very much a game of two halves. The second half peaked higher than anything I've played this year - and perhaps higher than anything I've played period - but I almost stopped playing during the first half. I'm glad I persevered through the lackluster first half.

8. Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockdown (PC)

This game came from nowhere and was just what I needed in lockdown. The best game I played this year if I only had a spare 15 minutes.

9. Tell Me Why (PC)

Another heartfelt tale by the team behind Life is Strange. Easily their prettiest game, although it is smaller in scope than their earlier games. The final chapter is truly heartbreaking as the mystery unravels.

10. Cyberpunk 2077 (PC)

Before release I thought this would finish number one on my list. The PC version isn't a bad game - in fact for the most part it was thoroughly enjoyable with some interesting characters and narrative decisions - but it falls so far short of what was promised. In the end it is basically a Bethesda WPRG with all the issues that come with it. But it kept me entertained for 70 hours and that's no small feat.

Last edited:
Only going to go with 5 games myself. I had about 7 I wanted to include and felt like the last few were just padding it out for the sake of it. I'm also not going to finish cramming in a couple games I wanted to play and I refuse to rush any more (I wish I played them instead of Valhalla now).

As a side note, in the future what would everyone prefer, a top 10 or top 5? 10 is probably too presumptuous that you're going to play 10 new releases a year. That doesn't sound like much but that's almost one a month and we all have enormous backlogs that we still manage to squeeze in. As the years go by I'm noticing more people only naming around 5 anyway.

Mine:
1. Ghost of Tsushima - glad I waited until PS5 even if it was just for the 60fps experience. Probably the most beautiful game I've ever seen on console. I was a bit concerned of open world burnout but this was a delight to play. I loved the story and how everything felt like it mattered. Often in big open world games you have a main, seemingly urgent main story yet the side quests are quite trivial. This game it felt like everything fit and even side quests seemed to compliment the main game.

2. Wasteland 3 - I had to put it down for a bit because I got sidetracked with some other stuff but was glad I went back. This is a proper RPG with a decent learning curve, something really missing of late. I can't wait to give it another play through this year with some better builds lol.

3. Persona 5 Royal - it felt like I was back with my friends. There were enough quality of life improvements and changes to the original story to make it feel new and the extra semester was just a treat

4. Hades - the perfect pick up and put down game when you don't have a lot of time to spare or you don't know what else to play. Even if you fail a run you still get rewarded in some way. A really enjoyable and rewarding game loop.

5. Mortal Shell - it's not a very long game, but a great example of "AAA indie". I suck at Souls like games and they're often a slow burn but I'm happy I stuck it out with this one.

I tweaked my list now that I've spent more time with Immortals and Wasteland. Had to chop Valhalla to make way for the superior Ubi release of the holiday period. Wasteland climbed a lot.

Only going to go with 5 games myself. I had about 7 I wanted to include and felt like the last few were just padding it out for the sake of it. I'm also not going to finish cramming in a couple games I wanted to play and I refuse to rush any more (I wish I played them instead of Valhalla now).

As a side note, in the future what would everyone prefer, a top 10 or top 5? 10 is probably too presumptuous that you're going to play 10 new releases a year. That doesn't sound like much but that's almost one a month and we all have enormous backlogs that we still manage to squeeze in. As the years go by I'm noticing more people only naming around 5 anyway.

I definitely think 5 is more appropriate.

I tweaked my list now that I've spent more time with Immortals and Wasteland. Had to chop Valhalla to make way for the superior Ubi release of the holiday period. Wasteland climbed a lot.

I definitely think 5 is more appropriate.

It's not just that, it's presuming they're all good enough. I played well and truly more than 10 new releases last year but so many don't deserve to be anywhere near a top 10 list. But let's see what everyone else thinks after this is said and done.

1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

I just knew this was GOTY material in the first 10 minutes.

2. Doom Eternal
3. Tony Hawk 1+2 Remastered
4. n/a
5. n/a
6. n/a
7. Resident Evil 3
8. Cyberpunk 2077
9. n/a
10. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

I enjoyed all of these games to a degree but I had to space them out like this so they received an amount of votes that felt right.

I agree that 5 votes next year would be better. Cut out the filler votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back