BigFooty is 20 Years Old - How has footy changed in those two decades?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so much about the footy itself, but I for one have enjoyed how each season the supporters of the reigning champs inherently become the most knowledgeable and wise on all footy and non-footy related matters on BigFooty and I am truly thankful as they take up the mantle and impart that wisdom generously across each of the threads. Somewhat less enjoyable is the subsequent descent into sh5tfights on most of those same threads with the supporters of the previous champs as they themselves struggle to come to terms with their own depletion of footy knowledge that invariably accompanies their team's descent back down the ladder.

As one of those that could be described as the Homer Simpsons of BigFooty (Freo supp.), we can only look on with awe and try to soak up some of that wisdom.
D'oh

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bring back the hats and jackets!
ColZc8EWEAE2op0.jpg

They got rid of the hats and coats. It didn't achieve anything. It doesn't look better. Bring it back. Learn from failure.

Good: 20 years ago, if I went to watch a game at Footy Park, you couldn't take a beer to your seat and watch the game

Bad: Now at Adelaide Oval, they encourage you to take some beers to your seat, but it is West End Draught

I'd kill for a West End. All they serve at the bar where I sit is that Hahn Superdry s**t. Worst Beer Ever.

Don't get me started on Hahn Superdry. The proliferation of carb low/ free beer has me stunned, not that they make it but the fact people buy it...willingly.
Balance it out with a bourbon and coke in between every beer.

Don't get me started on Hahn Superdry. The proliferation of carb low/ free beer has me stunned, not that they make it but the fact people buy it...willingly.

Gotta agree , but people tend to drink anything at the footy . I hate getting on it at the footy , once the seal is broken I’m fkd !!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From a personal standpoint the best thing is that there are now two teams in Sydney, and we can go to 19 games a year
plus any finals. There are a few dangers. You start "not minding" getting beat by GWS, and wishing Toby played for the
Swans but the plusses outweigh the negatives.

Last 2 decades of change good or bad will be nothing compared too what the future decade holds.
This concussion issue will change our game forever.
Not sure i could stomach watching it when it happens.
Will BF still be around because of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defintely coaching panels and support staff.
Twenty years ago it was a coach, a couple of assistants, a runner and the trainers. At quarter time now there are more support staff than players. Add them to the media and some clubs might push the 500 person limit of gatherings.

I'm glad we've gone back closer to the original intent on "holding the ball" changes of the late 90s. For a period there it was way too hot, and prior opportunity wasn't a thing. A player was almost better off being second to the ball so he could lay a tackle (sometimes before his opponent even had control) and get the free.

Darren Goldspink has retired from umpiring. So, umpiring has improved immensely despite the game being quicker and rules changing all over the place making it harder than ever to umpire. Its still sub-quality, but not the depths of horror that footy's Shakoor Rana took it to.

Far too many interchanges. Twenty years ago it was getting out of hand, but you could still sort of track who was on and off the ground. To do so now basically means not watching the game and just the interchange gates. This is one rule change I wuld make. Subs only, and very few of them. Reset each quarter.

Less people than ever want SoO back. It may not even be a majority now. I find this sad, but so be it.

The use of "AFL" to mean "Australian Football". Kids don't "Play AFL" in Auskick, no matter how much it is marketed that way. Just * off with that s**t. AFL is one competition of Australian Football, not the whole sport. And its not just the naming, but the way the AFL treats every other part of the sport as being of zero importance except as "pathways".

Tactically, the huddle, the flood, and so many others have come and gone. This is for the good, don't change the rules to meet a short-term coaching fad.

Similarly, people's obsession with a high scoring game being a good game. I'm sure that wasn't a thing back then. Game quality is largely personal opinion, and in my view its not universally, or even often, true. Tight, high pressure, games are often the best to watch. But that pressure leads to mistakes and stoppages; it also shows some of the best players at their best, as they are the ones who can make the key breaks.

Docklands now rarely resembles a badly maintained beach volleyball court like it did every game when it first opened. In the the last four years or so, its even become a decent surface consistently. The middle ten years were very mucha mixed bag of good quality, and literally shifting sands.

Last 2 decades of change good or bad will be nothing compared too what the future decade holds.
This concussion issue will change our game forever.
Not sure i could stomach watching it when it happens.
Will BF still be around because of it?

BigLawnBowls doesn’t have the same ring to it

Every year of those 20 years, the coaches and their dozens of assistants/leeches x 18 are more and more determined to not let their players win the matches and entertain us, and instead are more and more convinced that it is they who decide the result of the game by trying to ensure their players don't lose the matches.

Most games are rubbishier than ever.....but hey, we're all hooked on the banter.

I remember in high school my friend who was into the NBA had to buy the paper on Monday or whenever to find out the scores from the weekend.

Jesus that’s 30 years ago.

I remember the early days of Cricinfo when it was just an IRC channel, and the 'commentators' were usually just some random who could watch the TV from their computer.

Then someone decided they owned it, and sold it to ESPN for megabucks...

I remember the early days of Cricinfo when it was just an IRC channel, and the 'commentators' were usually just some random who could watch the TV from their computer.

Then someone decided they owned it, and sold it to ESPN for megabucks...
Bastards!

Why didn't I think of that :(

Everything about the game is worse
The coverage
The physicality
The skills on show
The rivalries
The one on ones
The forwards
The personalities

Everything.
2000 was a pretty sh** year. backline flooding made the game largely unwatchable.

and the coverage? Are you serious? We didnt have live access to every game like we do now. no internet access for people overseas. Friday night games were delayed to like 9:30pm at night. We were stuck with channel 7 commentators who sucked. No fox commentators. How was the coverage better?

BigFooty has been around for 20 seasons of footy.

How do you think footy has changed, for the better or worse, over those 20 seasons?

One thing that hasn't changed is that people are still all "Norf will be ded in three yearzes I haz been saying for 20 yearzes now!!!

The increase in pressure has been incredible. Even the best teams of 20 years ago would get hammered by an average team nowadays. I love the contests and teams working through that action. Some hate it, which is fine. But I couldn't even watch a game of Tigers AFLX - the lack of pressure made me bored and angry (weird combination). What we're seeing the finals teams do now is way beyond anything 20 years ago.

Skills have improved, especially quick ball movement under pressure.

Slick ball movement is much rarer.

The AFL is changing the rules (interpretations) in more strange and poorly thought out ways than ever.

Memberships are up a heap.

Clubs are better run (well with the Tigers that wasn't difficult - getting a bunch of kinder kids to do it would have been an improvement over 2000).

Commentary is at least as bad as ever. I seem to remember that some commentators actually talked about eh game whilst it gogn on. Now it's all excitement, but no insight or clear description.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back