Movie BigFooty Movie Club - Week 3 - "Murderball" (2005)

Sports Documentaries

• Hoop Dreams (basketball)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • When We Were Kings (boxing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Senna (car racing)

• Fire In Babylon (cricket)

• The Two Escobars (soccer)

• Dogtown And Z-Boys (skateboarding)

• Free Solo (rockclimbing)

• Murderball (wheelchair rugby)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No No: A Dockumentary (baseball)

• A Sunday In Hell (cycling)

• Cool Runnings (bobsled)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's on SBSondemand for free. Can watch in your internet browser or most smart tv's can access the app.

As for the film; it's one of my favourites. Top 20 for sure. Love the tone, the darkness of the story. It is the gold standard for and probably the last true Noir.
Thanks - updated now!

So I watched Chinatown last night and to be honest, I didn't really like it all that much. The overall mystery/conspiracy didn't feel that engaging and the characters were all a bit two-dimensional. I know that sounds like film school wank, but it just didn't connect with me. It's possible I'm just not that into film noir, but the movie didn't do anything for me.

Was anyone else a bit uncomfortable with the slapping scene???

OK gang, since there are no more episode of The Last Dance to watch, the theme to vote this week is Sports Documentaries. I've tried to select the quintessential film for 10 different sports to choose from and whatever gets the most votes by midnight on Thursday will be the one we watch.

Hopefully there's a bit more discussion this time round ... ;)

This week's movie is Murderball:

"American documentary film about athletes who are physically disabled who play wheelchair rugby. It centers on the rivalry between the Canadian and U.S. teams leading up to the 2004 Paralympic Games." (from Wikipedia)

IMDb - 7.7 / Metacritic - 87 / Rotten Tomatoes - 98%

I can't actually find anywhere to stream or rent this one. So good luck trawling the internet for leads. Please share any legal ones you find here!

Worked with a guy for a number of years who went to 4 Olympics playing for Australia in Wheelchair Rugby. Brutal sport. I reckon I watched this years ago. I just remember him saying it was always the Americans they needed to beat, cocky lot, but other countries really started to catch up. Kiwi's, Canada, Australia, became a serious competition.

Back