Movie BigFooty Movie Club - Week 3 - "Murderball" (2005)

Sports Documentaries

• Hoop Dreams (basketball)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • When We Were Kings (boxing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Senna (car racing)

• Fire In Babylon (cricket)

• The Two Escobars (soccer)

• Dogtown And Z-Boys (skateboarding)

• Free Solo (rockclimbing)

• Murderball (wheelchair rugby)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No No: A Dockumentary (baseball)

• A Sunday In Hell (cycling)

• Cool Runnings (bobsled)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Went for Ordinary People as it's the only one I haven't seen

No love for Terms of Endearment? It's a superb film. With one of Jack's very best performances, which is saying something. And Shirley and Debra are great too.

Man, I miss the days when a film was judged by its script and its performances. Not the CGI-crapfests we have to endure these days.

No love for Terms of Endearment? It's a superb film. With one of Jack's very best performances, which is saying something. And Shirley and Debra are great too.

Man, I miss the days when a film was judged by its script and its performances. Not the CGI-crapfests we have to endure these days.
Hell bro there is some quality films to choose from though. It is not like saying Terms is bad or anything.

Went for Ordinary People as it's the only one I haven't seen
Got no idea what it is.
Most of movies I seen and have little interest in watching again. But Chariots of fire I must have seen as a kid so would not mind seeing it again as cannot recall much about it so would be like watching it anew. I do remember the music for some reason.

Just noticed that there is an option to change your vote? As much as Rain Man wouldn't be my first choice personally I'd rather not to have this option for later polls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Week 1 - Rain Man
This week's movie is Rain Man (with 25% of the votes):

"Charlie, a selfish automobile dealer, kidnaps his autistic brother Raymond and tries to manipulate him into giving up his inheritance from their late father." (from Wikipedia)

IMDb - 8.0 / Metacritic - 65 / Rotten Tomatoes - 90%

According to JustWatch (https://www.justwatch.com/au/movie/rain-man) it's available to stream on Foxtel Go and something called Tubi, or can be rented through Google Play etc. Of course, you might have some alternatives on how to watch it (e.g. you already have it on DVD;)).

Discuss away!!!

This week's movie is Rain Man (with 25% of the votes):

"Charlie, a selfish automobile dealer, kidnaps his autistic brother Raymond and tries to manipulate him into giving up his inheritance from their late father." (from Wikipedia)

IMDb - 8.0 / Metacritic - 65 / Rotten Tomatoes - 90%

According to JustWatch (https://www.justwatch.com/au/movie/rain-man) it's available to stream on Foxtel Go and something called Tubi, or can be rented through Google Play etc. Of course, you might have some alternatives on how to watch it (e.g. you already have it on DVD;)).

Discuss away!!!
2 actors at their peak, a well meaning, some what heart warming, popular movie of its time which painfully painted autistic people into a type cast for decades, that unfairly still continues to this day, 1/5.

2 actors at their peak, a well meaning, some what heart warming, popular movie of its time which painfully painted autistic people into a type cast for decades, that unfairly still continues to this day, 1/5.
So it hasn't aged well, is what you're saying?
It's on stan too. Some airlines could do with a nice bit of rainman style advertising right about now.
You're right! I reported the listing on JustWatch so they will update with that info!
So....is there a week 2? Doesn’t seem like too many watched Rain Man.
Due to some technical difficulties with resetting the poll (and also to give people a bit more time to get in the swing of things), the Week 1 movie & discussion will actually go for two weeks. I'll update the thread with the next movie's poll next Monday.

Voting for week 2 is open now. The theme to chose from are the top 10 IMDB-ranked Jack Nicholson films. The conversation of the thread will stick with Rain Man until Friday morning when next week's film will be decided. Get voting!

I watched Rain Man a couple of weekends ago and actually really enjoyed it. I can see where some of the criticism comes from around the dated stereotype of an autistic savant, but I didn't really mind. From what I've read, it was the first time a main character had that sort of disorder and wasn't unappreciated by people that support those with a similar condition. And despite not really being a massive Tom Cruise fan, I thought he was pretty bearable in this. Although it's still too hard for me not to see Tom Cruise the actor and not the character he's meant to be playing. Anyways, definitely worth the watch!

Week 2 - Chinatown
Sorry about the delays with this thread. We had some technical difficulties and then I got put off a little bit by the lack of engagement. But I figure that everything takes a little while to get going, so I'm gonna continue on!

This week's movie is Chinatown (with 44% of the vote).

Directed by Roman Polanski (yikes), this 1974 film is about a private detective hired to expose an adulterer that gets swept up in a conspiracy of deceit, corruption and murder. I haven't ever seen it before, so am looking forward to it!

IMDB 8.2 / Metacritic 92 / Rotten Tomatoes 99%

It's available to stream on SBS On Demand, but if you'd prefer to watch without ads, JustWatch has links to rent it on Google Play, Apple Movies, Microsoft and YouTube.

Voting for week 3 will open on Monday and the next movie will be decided on next Friday. So until then, let's watch and then discuss Chinatown.

Last edited:
Sorry about the delays with this thread. We had some technical difficulties and then I got put off a little bit by the lack of engagement. But I figure that everything takes a little while to get going, so I'm gonna continue on!

This week's movie is Chinatown (with 44% of the vote).

Directed by Roman Polanski (yikes), this 1974 film is about a private detective hired to expose an adulterer that gets swept up in a conspiracy of deceit, corruption and murder. I haven't ever seen it before, so am looking forward to it!

IMDB 8.2 / Metacritic 92 / Rotten Tomatoes 99%

I couldn't find it available on any (legal, wink wink) streaming services, but according to JustWatch, you can rent it on Google Play, Apple Movies, Microsoft and YouTube.

Voting for week 3 will open on Monday and the next movie will be decided on next Friday. So until then, let's watch and then discuss Chinatown.

It's on SBSondemand for free. Can watch in your internet browser or most smart tv's can access the app.

As for the film; it's one of my favourites. Top 20 for sure. Love the tone, the darkness of the story. It is the gold standard for and probably the last true Noir.

Back