Universal Love Bigfooty Nostalgia

Remove this Banner Ad

There was something about going to watch a Primus coached team at a barren AAMI and then post about it knowing the other 10 people there were also on BigFooty.

Knowing we'd come home and read that it was all our fault lol

There was something about going to watch a Primus coached team at a barren AAMI and then post about it knowing the other 10 people there were also on BigFooty.

lol Teal Plums approached a few of us outside one of the AAMI bars at the northern end on the night of an absolute flogging from either Hawthorn or Collingwood I reckon, after over hearing me call tribey "tribey" in conversation. Or maybe it was the night we lost to Brisbane in the pouring rain. Yeah, I reckon that was it.

lol Teal Plums approached a few of us outside one of the AAMI bars at the northern end on the night of an absolute flogging from either Hawthorn or Collingwood I reckon, after over hearing me call tribey "tribey" in conversation. Or maybe it was the night we lost to Brisbane in the pouring rain. Yeah, I reckon that was it.

My god do not mention that Brisbane game. PTSD.

VS Collingwood in 2011 and we kicked 3.3 for the game. We were belly laughing after each utensil-up and you were politely disagreeing with me that Leigh Brown could be anything with killer instinct :drunk:

So many to choose from :(

It was fitting that the first bigfooty meetup in that era was at the Collingwood 2011 160 point debacle.

My first game when I moved back from Sydney in the Northern stand watching us play Freo was the lowlight from me.

Not sure what year that was but piss poor crowd and a terrible game from both sides and we lost.

It was before we really hit rock bottom but it was justas miserable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't been here all that long, nor posted all that much, but one of my most revered big footy memories is tribey's POTY ripping Chapman a new orifice

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That was a great post. If it's the one I'm thinking there was a reference to a fictional lesbian encounter that hammered home the point, as well as distracting from it.

It was fitting that the first bigfooty meetup in that era was at the Collingwood 2011 160 point debacle.

I was unfortunate enough to be at that game with 3 Pies supporters, just to make everything that touch worse.

I was unfortunate enough to be at that game with 3 Pies supporters, just to make everything that touch worse.

I got a speeding fine on the way home. Was literally the worst night ever.

What a crap day that was. Because it rained we were allowed to move from our regular seats to ones in the stands in the dry. There were always plenty to choose from back then :(. There was this loud mouthy sort sitting behind us and she did nothing but rubbish the players from the first to final siren. Sadly, there was no crowd noise to drown her out, and you really couldn't argue with anything she said. But at least we had the following week to redeem ourselves. Good times.

I was at AAMI Stadium that night, but thankfully saw not a single moment of the game. Was working at a function for some product launch. A few of our supporters were at the function though, and they looked pretty damn grim.

I got a speeding fine on the way home. Was literally the worst night ever.

And even after we began to come good you still weren't out of the woods, what with being rear-ended on the way home from the customary Geelong reaming of 2013.

How are we still alive?

And even after we began to come good you still weren't out of the woods, what with being rear-ended on the way home from the customary Geelong reaming of 2013.

How are we still alive?

Still have neck issues from that. I blame AAMI Stadium.

I haven't been here all that long, nor posted all that much, but one of my most revered big footy memories is tribey's POTY ripping Chapman a new orifice

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Boat-shoed spivs ... :)

Chapman sounds like the worst type of person to be involved with a living, breathing football club.

We scoffed at the likes of Trigg and the complete lack of accountability for every sideways and backward decision he made during his marathon tenure - and he deserved it because he's a patronising campaigner whose career record in no way justifies his smarmy FIGJAM attitude - but Chapman is something else entirely.

Glenn Archer previously described his type as 'linament sniffers', well-heeled white collar types who work their way into the inner sanctum of football clubs to rub shoulders with players and coaches with absolutely no idea as to how the joint works or what the parameters are for success.

When the videos of the 19th Man chants night and the subsequent remaster of the club song came out - something more in keeping with an off-broadway production of the Lion King - it fuelled long-held suspicions that the Adelaide Football Club has no idea what it's raison d'être is. It's not there to produce cheesy diversity advertisements that are more in keeping with corporate America (woman having a blast? check! grandfatherly old man looking pleased? check! passionate child? check! non-threatening southeast asian of indeterminable origin? check!), it's there to win games of Australian Rules Football. But you wouldn't know.

The rest of the state has long scoffed at our heritage and associated marketing. The Creed, the prisonbar, "we are Port Adelaide", "never tear us apart", but you know what? We know who we are. And we know what we want, and we know what we represent. Our football club, which launched itself from its base on the corner of Queen Street & Brougham Place to the national stage by playing tough, uncompromising, winning football, exists to make its members and supporters proud and its rivals and haters losers. That's it.

We don't exist to serve as fluffers to the SANFL and its parasitic member clubs. We don't exist as some sort of quasi-pantomime for the entire state to get behind by default, with a phalanx of pliable ambassadors in the media dutifully pushing our barrow (careful, Penbo).

We exist to win premierships. You're either with us or against us.

And after a horrendous flirtation with the Crows' generic "all things to all people" model we decided to ignore all clayton's advice to the contrary and unashamedly emphasise who we are, tore away from the cesspool at West Lakes and the dormant Port Adelaide base came back in droves. Haysman, Duncanson, Koch, Thomas and a host of others behind the scenes made that happen with a single-minded determination not seen in South Australian football since Bruce Weber pulled the trigger in 1990.

Boat-shoed spivs like Chapman? When you allow yourself to be bewildered by and can't outmanoeuvre the likes of Stephen Rowe when pressed on football operations matters, it's obvious you need to GTFO and back to the world of banking where you belong. For too long he and Trigg have been allowed to personify the vanilla mediocrity that used to drip off the likes of North, Glenelg and WWT when one of them would emerge to challenge us in the late eighties and nineties as it became increasingly obvious we'd outgrown the SANFL.

They inhabit a realm padded with corporate jibberish further emphasising their complete detachment from reality. Supporters and members - the lifeblood of any club - are 'customers' and 'agitators'. Poxy kiddified rebrands unapologetically foisted upon them because a cartoon bird head assumedly tested well at Mitchell Park kindergarten.

And yet all the while everyone, from the CEO down to Dimity of Christies Beach, deludes themselves into believing they're this sleeping juggernaut that slays its enemies while rivalling a Jennifer Hawkins-Ariana Grande scissor session for appearing superattractive to anyone from the outside.

I guess that's why they beat us at football nearly half the time.

Rob Chapman? 4 more years!

I remember when Troy Chaplin murdered Daniel Rich and a disabled person with their carer kept screaming repeatedly and desperately "What happen power" and "where is ambulance?"

I too now say "What happen power"

Then at the port club there was a group of burley drunks upstairs at an away game function who kept screaming FOOTBALL whenever we kicked a goal. That also caught on.

Ahh the dark days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back