Bigfooty Official Phantom Draft - recruiter notes

Remove this Banner Ad

WHE had a bad end to 2018 because he hurt his knee. He then needed off season surgery on it and didnt have a preseason for the 2019 season. Saying random players from the WAFL players are better than him is laughable
I'm hoping this is right, but I tend to believe that Stepho and JDG kicking on and taking more of the goal square minutes were a bigger factor in the second half of 2018. Now Elliott has also been added to the goal square mix add in that we moved the ball slower and teams have worked out the way we were using that goal square forward like a striker- the last points made all of them less effective, the first couple of points left WHE at half forward for much of 2019 where he gets lost on a regular basis and doesn't physically compete well enough.

I'm hoping this is right, but I tend to believe that Stepho and JDG kicking on and taking more of the goal square minutes were a bigger factor in the second half of 2018. Now Elliott has also been added to the goal square mix add in that we moved the ball slower and teams have worked out the way we were using that goal square forward like a striker- the last points made all of them less effective, the first couple of points left WHE at half forward for much of 2019 where he gets lost on a regular basis and doesn't physically compete well enough.

So he is someone who is Soft as Butter and On Borrowed Time as a AFL Footballer?

He has shown in my Eyes he can be a Game Winner and pretty much our Best Set Shot on Goal up Forward

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Interesting, my feel is that we are laden with small forwards and on ballers? We couldn’t possibly give them all game time? I’d be surprised if we took another.

If as you say there is no obvious talent available, do we just go high risk and pick someone that could produce something special?

If things worked out this way I'd be just as comfortable taking Jake Riccardi as a key forward, but I'm looking at general forward and midfield as two among a combination of areas of weaknesses.

Collingwood's midfield is old and lacking worthwhile youth. Collingwood's front half as the 'big two' in De Goey and Stephenson, and Elliott is good when healthy, but they're the only three forwards I look at as good.

So he is someone who is Soft as Butter and On Borrowed Time as a AFL Footballer?

He has shown in my Eyes he can be a Game Winner and pretty much our Best Set Shot on Goal up Forward
He is pretty soft, but you're right his athletic ability and efficiency can make him very dangerous. Personally, I think he needs a club change, because the queue of guys who play their best footy as a medium leading forward is a bloody high quality queue at the Pies.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
If we don't pick up Georgiades in the draft.. I f swear man.. I'll go on 'The farmer wants a wife' not that I want a wife.. go on there with a hidden agenda so that i can say 'anyfink' and 'nused' instead of f 'used'. And then roll around in dog turd and s**t like that like it's f normal re. Where the the f did the 'n' come from re.. and its thhh.. c'mon give a go it's not hard.. go 'thhhh'.. bitta practice works wonders re.. unfbelievable man..

I have f had it man.. that's it for me. I'm done with this s**t man.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we don't pick up Georgiades in the draft.. I f swear man.. I'll go on 'The farmer wants a wife' not that I want a wife.. go on there with a hidden agenda so that i can say 'anyfink' and 'nused' instead of f 'used'. And then roll around in dog turd and s**t like that like it's f normal re. Where the the f did the 'n' come from re.. and its thhh.. c'mon give a go it's not hard.. go 'thhhh'.. bitta practice works wonders re.. unfbelievable man..

I have f had it man.. that's it for me. I'm done with this s**t man.
Who was the last Greek to play for the Pies? Athas Hrysoulakis? How did that turn out?

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
If things worked out this way I'd be just as comfortable taking Jake Riccardi as a key forward, but I'm looking at general forward and midfield as two among a combination of areas of weaknesses.

Collingwood's midfield is old and lacking worthwhile youth. Collingwood's front half as the 'big two' in De Goey and Stephenson, and Elliott is good when healthy, but they're the only three forwards I look at as good.
I think this is our greatest issue.
Pretty much turn out the same midfield group each year who are supposedly the best in the game, but collectively they aren’t getting better whereas other clubs continue to improve their midfield.

Unless we do something quickly, which may mean making hard decisions, our midfield will soon be our biggest concern.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Who was the last Greek to play for the Pies? Athas Hrysoulakis? How did that turn out?

No.. Patrick Karnezis.. a hell of a lot worse than Hrysoulakis. Both vying for a position in the worst Pies team of the millennium. Given we've only had a few Greeks play for the Pies over the yrs.. that's a mighty effort pro rata re..

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think this is our greatest issue.
Pretty much turn out the same midfield group each year who are supposedly the best in the game, but collectively they aren’t getting better whereas other clubs continue to improve their midfield.

Unless we do something quickly, which may mean making hard decisions, our midfield will soon be our biggest concern.

From an age demographic standpoint midfield needs are up there with KPP needs.

Midfielders are generally pretty easy to find, whether through the trade period, free agency, delisted free agency, the draft or mature agers through the draft if needing something more immediate. Through the draft there tends most years to be value with sliders always there are various points in the draft each year. Of course early draft typically that's where the absolute premier mids come, but with good talent ID it's easy to find good mids through less expensive means.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
From an age demographic standpoint midfield needs are up there with KPP needs.

Midfielders are generally pretty easy to find, whether through the trade period, free agency, delisted free agency, the draft or mature agers through the draft if needing something more immediate. Through the draft there tends most years to be value with sliders always there are various points in the draft each year. Of course early draft typically that's where the absolute premier mids come, but with good talent ID it's easy to find good mids through less expensive means.
I disagree with this. Pendles is our oldest midfielder & easily has a couple more years, Sidey 3 or 4. (fingers crossed for Beams) Adams & Treloar are still young. Stevo & DeGoey will move into the midfield with Tyler B & Reef waiting in the wings. And a bunch of players with the ability to move onto the ball in Crisp, Maynard, potentially IQ & Noble(wing)

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I disagree with this. Pendles is our oldest midfielder & easily has a couple more years, Sidey 3 or 4. (fingers crossed for Beams) Adams & Treloar are still young. Stevo & DeGoey will move into the midfield with Tyler B & Reef waiting in the wings. And a bunch of players with the ability to move onto the ball in Crisp, Maynard, potentially IQ & Noble(wing)
You're going with 2 players who havn't played a game yet and 2 players who have played less than a handful, very optimistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
No.. Patrick Karnezis.. a hell of a lot worse than Hrysoulakis. Both vying for a position in the worst Pies team of the millennium. Given we've only had a few Greeks play for the Pies over the yrs.. that's a mighty effort pro rata re..
Athos was a star, I don't remember why he fell out of grace but he was a serious small forward

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
You're going with 2 players who havn't played a game yet and 2 players who have played less than a handful, very optimistic
I'm saying the midfield list demagraphic is well spread out from Pendles, Beams, Sidebottom to Adams, Treloar, Phillips, Wills to Stevo, DeGoey, Sier with TB & Reef purely speculative
Also WHE, Elliot can fill in on the wing(IQ, Noble), Callum B & JT can fill in on the ball( Crisp Maynard)
We are covered for midfielders.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Athos was a star, I don't remember why he fell out of grace but he was a serious small forward

The lazy cafe lifestyle during the day.. partying hard at the clubs in the evenings and mornings.. gifted footballer from all acts but missed out on training sessions when it suited him. Never worked hard enough.

Karnezis loved to party as well.

Agreed re.. if he had the work ethic of say a Nicole Pratt.. would have made it.

He was a freakshow as a junior. Could have been anything. Speckies. Daicosian snaps. There was a kick he had in his arsenal that I've never really seen anyone else do. Right forward pocket, turn on your right foot. Everyone else would do a right foot snap that curls the wrong way, he used to shift the ball to his left and swing his leg like a golfers slice to produce a left to right accurate as all hell drop punt. He could have been a great re and probably was a great on Chapel Street.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was a freakshow as a junior. Could have been anything. Speckies. Daicosian snaps. There was a kick he had in his arsenal that I've never really seen anyone else do. Right forward pocket, turn on your right foot. Everyone else would do a right foot snap that curls the wrong way, he used to shift the ball to his left and swing his leg like a golfers slice to produce a left to right accurate as all hell drop punt. He could have been a great re and probably was a great on Chapel Street.
Went on to kick hundreds of goals in the Northern footy league, I was shattered when we let him go

The hyphon

Debutant
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
At pick 35 i would think one of

Ralphsmith,Georgiades, or Riccardi will be available, all tall kp players,

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

I think Ronaldo was the first soccer player to pound the air valve off of the pigskin in set shots.. the results were devastating.. the pill would not only fly off his boot.. but the pill would become so distorted in trajectory.. it made it an absolute nightmare for the keeper to stop.

I reckon the great Athos had it figured out way before Christiano re.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

1988, 1991, 1990, 1993, 1993. That's a lot of mids in the same age bracket and all the wrong side of 20, or over 30 in the case of Pendles.

Crisp and Maynard are needed in defence. Same with IQ. Unsure Noble will be good enough.

T.Brown we haven't seen at AFL level and he's someone once he has been through his preseason who needs to be assessed next year given his good rate of development, but still isn't there.

Reef will be nice if he keeps developing through next year's draft, but more is needed.

I don't see urgency to do it this year, but if there is someone who represents superior value I'm open to adding midfielders now even if they're probably not playing right away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back