Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
47 old male
live in the Berwick area
mow lawns when I'm not playing Golf
and Trevor Barker was an amazing Saint
You're Jim, now the owner of a franchising empire. How about you become a major sponsor, Scrooge? Imagine, become a part of "Jim's Saints"!

You would, of course, provide full training, including forking over thousands of dollars every year on a promise of service, which is delivered once a millenium.

We'd also get teased by legendary talent, which prematurely raises expectations to ridiculous levels.

Brainwashed into thinking we're we are convinced the Messiah is returning to deliver the Holy Grail.
Barker, Lockett, Harvey, Watson, Blight, Roo and GT have been identified as false prophets. Close, but not the "One".

Here endeth the lesson.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Sorry Mowman. I posted my guess as to who you might be. I went for Jim, the franchising mogul. Jim's Mowing? I know. Pretty lame. Been in hospital all day. Bored, bored, bored, bored...........my original post disappeared into the ether. Sorry.

And right on cue, it pops back in from the quantam field!

StickyMick

All Australian
Apr 4, 2019
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey all, been a long-time lurker of the Saints board, and am starting to get around a few posts. I have followed the AFL for well over a decade now (still a spritely 28 year old lad) and originally came to Big Footy as a bit of a mixed bag and not really supporting a team as such and by default I just selected the Lions as I originally came from Queensland. To be honest I don't think I've ever posted on the Lions board and seem to be on this board more than anything. How I got to this point though is I met my current girlfriend in Tassie and she's an avid Saints fan and I've jumped on the bandwagon in the last 2.5 years. I'm currently living in Perth with her now and am super passionate about the Saints (got a heap of their merch) and when my mates take a shot at the club, in jest or not, I take it personally. I am part of the Western Saints over here in Perth and no doubt I've met a couple of you in real life before (I know for a fact I've met Trav). Feel we are well and truly on the rise and I will be spending some of my hard-earned for the upcoming season on a couple of new Saints memberships for my girlfriend and I. Can't wait for what's ahead. Up the red, white and black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

prophetic1

Team Captain
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
South east Melb. PHOENIX
We are a big Catholic club apparently, they were meant to have a strong presence in the force too. Maybe linked.
We'll take membership fees of all of the above without prejudice embracing all denominations Catholics, Muslims, any Buddhists, Jehova's, Jews, Gentiles and even Engineers IF they declare allegiance to the SAINTS ...and may the Force be with us all in 2020 ....To infinity and Beyond......throw in Chewbacca at CHF or CHB for that fact and maybe Ja ja BINGKS...we got his bro just a matter of time and the FAMILY will be reunited...ALL SAINTS day presumably.

Last edited:

PostmanBish

Debutant
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pull up a chair, pour yourself $LIQUOR-OF-CHOICE and get ready for a tale ...

As a youngster living in Brisbane in the early 80s (pre-dating the Broncos and Bears, with the NBL Bullets being the main show in town) I started to notice that on the weekends there was this game unlike anything I'd seen, playing on the TV.

I took a bit of an interest, and slowly learned the rules of the game, found myself appreciating the big hits, high flying, and obvious skills, and slowly got to where I was watching every weekend. Back in those days it was mostly a game of the week, so saw a lot of Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood, plus an appreciation for the goal-scoring of Lockett and Ablett Snr, and the complete insanity of Wacko Jacko.

I basically appreciated the game itself, rather than closely aligning with a club (though I did have a favourite team through that time, at least until the Bad News Bears came to town, and everyone did, indeed, dare to beat the bear :) )

Fast forward to 2000, and I'd moved to Sydney for work. Finally attended my first live game at the S.C.G., a cheap ticket to the Kangas vs Port, which I attended with 7333 other people who probably still wish they hadn't ;) On the plus side, I did get to see the wonder that was Spider Burton live, which was probably worth it.

In 2001, Sydney moved some games to the Olympic Stadium, and I picked up a package of tickets to those games, which I attended with a work colleague, and did a similar thing in 2002. Real life then stopped me from attending any games until '09.

My wife discovered the Saints in 2008, and started to follow them. In '09 she bought her first membership, and we made occasional trips down to Melbourne for games, and really splurged to be able to attend the GF - which was heartbreaking for her.

Kept doing the same sort of thing in 2010 and 2011, but relocated to our current home before the 2012 season, and progressively ramped up our involvement, moving from 5-game memberships, to volunteering at home games (How I Want To Be Crew), and finally to Cheer Squad.

It's been an interesting journey, but it won't be complete until there's a second trophy at RSEA Park ...

EtnrPrze

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I grew up in a largely rugby league supporting family despite the fact we live in Victoria. I go for St George in the NRL so the Saints stuck out for me a bit. My dads favourite AFL side is the Saints, although he hardly ever watches them. Other reasons include their colours, the coastal feel (I love the sea), some Saints supporting friends and the fact that I spent a quarter of my childhood at Luna Park.

Top Bottom