Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi,

My Grandfather's cousin was Jack Davis who played in the 1930s and was club champion a couple of times. The whole family supports the Saints as a result.

Plugger will always be my favourite although Stewie and Harvard come close! Managed to get to the 09 GF. Love the Saints!

Hi,

My Grandfather's cousin was Jack Davis who played in the 1930s and was club champion a couple of times. The whole family supports the Saints as a result.

Plugger will always be my favourite although Stewie and Harvard come close! Managed to get to the 09 GF. Love the Saints!
i mean Harvs (dam auto correct)

Hopefully another sainter delivered into the family tonight. I'll give him a saints scarf to help make sure.

If by "delivered" you mean a newborn, then congrats and welcome to a new little Sainter.

Hey guys long time lurker so thought I'd start by posting here.
33yo male from Traralgon, Didn't come from a big football family but ended up landing on the saints as a young kid because my mum followed them a bit. Since then I've gradually become more and more of a footy tragic to the point I'm spending my time posting on a fan forum.

Wayne
- Grew up in Rowville, now in Officer.
- Married
- 1 little girl
- Saints supporter my whole life (came out of hospital in a knitted saints jumper - very little say back then but love the saints)
- Paid up member for the last 5 years

Welcome to the forum Eastern, good to have you on board!

Hi All,
Been a Saints fan since I was 2 when my Uncle gave me a jumper (no.2) Spud Frawley.

Grew up in the west of Melbourne, surrounded by lots of Essendon, Hawks, Pies, Blues and Dogs supporters.
My family is split in the middle half go for the doggies and the other half the Saints. Last year definately hurt the pride levels.

Last couple of years moved to Brisbane with work so don't get to many games - talk about a footy culture shock, hence my need for Bigfooty, I've never worked in an office that is so apathetic to sport before and it drives me insane, no tipping comps, no Monday / Friday banter, nothing.

Been a bigfooty lurker for a while now, but thought I'd join in.

My Dad grew up barracking for the Saints.
His favourite player was Rob Harvey.
His favourite current player would have been Jack Steven.
I have an old badge with a St Kilda like emblem. It has the similar red white and black vertical stripes with a saint stick man holding a football.
Written in gold across the top is ST. LEONARDS and underneath FOOTBALL CLUB.
My dad passed away 2 years ago and I was wondering whether any Saints supporters knew any information in regards to this badge.
Best regards for the year.

First took an interest in the footy about 11 years ago when I met a couple of Melbournians on a work contract in my native Scotland. Watched a few games live early in the morning in some Aussie themed pubs (only place showing footy at 10am), so the day drinking sessions started pretty early on those days. Initially took an interest in North as my mate was a big fan so will always have a soft spot for them. Really enjoyed the game straight away even tho it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on.

Moved across to Melbourne a few years ago on a working holiday, met my now wife, settled down and decided to stick around. The Mrs is a huge Saints fan so started going to games with her and got really into it. We've had memberships together since 2013. I jumped on when we were on the way down so feel like I have put in a few hard yards before what's hopefully a successful era for the club, although not nearly the hard yards of most of the longer suffering Saints fans.

Felt at home at the Saints games straight away and really hopeful for the next few years and the future under Richo and his team.

Go Saints ❤️⚪⚫

Last edited:
First took an interest in the footy about 11 years ago when I met a couple of Melbournians on a work contract in my native Scotland. Watched a few games live early in the morning in some Aussie themed pubs (only place showing footy at 10am), so the day drinking sessions started pretty early on those days. Initially took an interest in North as my mate was a big fan so will always have a soft spot for them. Really enjoyed the game straight away even tho it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on.

Moved across to Melbourne a few years ago on a working holiday, met my now wife, settled down and decided to stick around. The Mrs is a huge Saints fan so started going to games with her and got really into it. We've had memberships together since 2013. I jumped on when we were on the way down so feel like I have put in a few hard yards before what's hopefully a successful era for the club, although not nearly the hard yards of most of the longer suffering Saints fans.

Felt at home at the Saints games straight away and really hopeful for the next few years and the future under Richo and his team.

Go Saints
It does seem like the British Isles is particularly well represented on this board, quite strange. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Saints . My dad , my brother and my three sisters are all Saints supporters. My mom is Carlton . When I was playing under 12 footy she bought me a Carlton jumper trying to get me to be a Carlton supporter but it didn't work. I was hooked on the Saints originally because my dad was and he once took me to the footy and I got hooked . My cousin who was about my age, a year older , was a tigers supporter but he had no one to go with. So I convinced him to go to Moorabbin to watch the saints just so he could go. Wasn't long before he was converted. I was about 12 when we started going to the footy every week. Sometimes with my brother but mostly with my cousin . I guess it was the late 70's . I don't remember much from then . I've only been to a couple of Saints games recently at the Dome with a mate. I stopped going while the Saints were still at vfl park as I started playing baseball with some cricket mates . E grade of course. Just when I was going to give up baseball my back went on me and then the Saints moved to the dome or whatever it was called back then. The last couple of years I've really got back into it by being a digital member so I can watch all the games on my iPad . It's not quite the same as going of course but I can lie down if my back gets sore . And the couple times I have been there my back has got very sore. I did go to the final game of last season to seen Roo kick 9 goals and Fisher play what turned out to be his final game .

There is so much more I could tell , especially from the Moorabbin days but that would probably bore everyone .
Go Saints.

I forgot to mention , I didn't know it at the time but it was Dempsters last proper game too sadly.

My mate pointed out that although the ground was designed for football it was obvious that they forgot about the coaches boxes . So they just ripped some seats out and dumped the boxes there . It's quite funny , check it out next time you are there. All the crap the coaches have to get through just to get down to the ground at quarter time and three quarter time. I hope someone got the sack for that . Someone at the afl that is .
Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Hi All,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post my first post. I'm Sausage Fingers I've been a long time lurker but decided to join up today. Looks like a great little community with good quality discussion. Have been an avid Saints fan for 20 odd years. Have been to two GF's and like most have problem seen more pain than glory but our list is coming along well. If we can get McCartin right we could be a force over the next few years.

Go the Saints!

SF

Hi All,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post my first post. I'm Sausage Fingers I've been a long time lurker but decided to join up today. Looks like a great little community with good quality discussion. Have been an avid Saints fan for 20 odd years. Have been to two GF's and like most have problem seen more pain than glory but our list is coming along well. If we can get McCartin right we could be a force over the next few years.

Go the Saints!

SF
And he's gone lol

G'day Sainters,

I've long been an avid reader of these pages and threads, but spent my time contributing over at SS. I've had enough of that and enjoy the posting on this board, so I look forward to becoming part of the discussions! I was born into a St. Kilda family and have loved this club through thick and thin- I have been fortunate (or unfortunate? Lol) enough to be at every Grand Final we have played since I was born and can only dream of what it will be like to be there when we grab our second flag. Go Saints!

My Dad grew up barracking for the Saints.
His favourite player was Rob Harvey.
His favourite current player would have been Jack Steven.
I have an old badge with a St Kilda like emblem. It has the similar red white and black vertical stripes with a saint stick man holding a football.
Written in gold across the top is ST. LEONARDS and underneath FOOTBALL CLUB.
My dad passed away 2 years ago and I was wondering whether any Saints supporters knew any information in regards to this badge.
Best regards for the year.

Saint Leonards Old Collegians Football Club

Known as
St. Leonards OC
Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA) 1986–1989

- See more at: http://australianfootball.com/clubs/stats/st.+leonards+oc/2704/#sthash.LI1Z6Szt.dpuf

??

72 years of age. Born and raised in the Anfield district of Liverpool. Like my dear old da, I threw my loyalties irrevocably, in with the Everton Football Club -who incidentally also had a magnificent result in 1966! Served a five year apprenticeship as a Bookbinder/Print finisher in a city centre Printer and Stationery company. Consider myself very fortunate to have spent my youth and teen years during the nineteen sixties in Liverpool, a heck of an era! We had jobs, money to spend, Everton & Liverpool were winning trophies every season, the music scene in Liddypool was incredible, with LIVE music venues thriving all over the city. Met Caroline in 1970, married her in '71! Emigrated to New Zealand in 1986, then landed in Melbourne in 1990. Like every other newcomer, I had not the first clue about Australian Rules Football, but have grown to love it! The story of how I became a Saint,is for another time, but I will be a Sainter till the day that they're nailing the lid down on my box! Go Saints! ( to hell with the rest! )

Hi I'm Matt, 38 from Bendigo. My obsession with the sainters began thanks to one Tony Lockett. Through my primary school years my friends tried to get me to barrack for their teams, mainly Richmond and Carlton supporters but it didn't feel right. One preseason, my old man took us to a practice match between St Kilda and Footscray, Plugger kicked 12 goals, gave me a spare pair of his shorts in the changerooms afterwards (to a 10yo, they were massive!) and I've been hooked ever since. Have been a long time lurker of Bigfooty, so I thought I would join and have a look around. Go Saints! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back