Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

24 year old, raised in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne. Mines kind of a funny story. I come from a family of soccer fanatics (especially dad) & absolutely hated Afl growing up. Best mates an Essendon supporter so when asked Who I barricked for, always said Essendon.When I was around 14 my dad & uncle setup a business in Dubai and we moved there for a while. Returning to Aus in 09 around GF time. So it's the 09 grand final I'm bored and thought I'll give the grand final a go, see what all the fuss is about, switch on the TV, like the look of the Saints and figure id start my new found love of footy with the team that's looking like it's going to win the thing. (Boy was I wrong)
Dads watching the game with me and decides he's a Geelong man, just to irritate me. Bloody Cats win. Dads pleased with himself.
Fast forward to 2010
I don't miss a game that season and am obsessed with all things Saints.
Dad's a die hard Cats man & footy is all we talk about.

P.S I now despise the Dons. The Saints obession has only grown (hence my joining of bigfooty).
And although the Cats won the first grand final I watched from start to finish & Another after that, couldn't ever imagine barracking for anyone Else.

Go Saints!!! ❤️⚪⚫

Last edited:
I'm 58. Born and bred in Bendigo. Been a Saints supporter since around 65-66 when my grandmother wanted to knit my brother and I footy jumpers. I chose St Kilda. Father was Collingwood man, glad I didn't go that way. First VFL game I attended with Bombers mate was Windy Hill 1978 when Ditterich and Sidebottom "took on" Essendon. Lived in Melbourne late 80's and early 90's, great memories of Plugger destroying opposition at Moorabbin and Waverley. Wife and I paid $2 upgrade to sit in cheer squad area at Victoria Park one day. Turned out to be the Nicky Winmar historic moment right in front of us. Follow Eaglehawk in Bendigo FL and get to Etihad when games don't clash. GO SAINTS

Turned 40 today. Christ im old!

My saints story is pretty unique. My family moved to Australia in 1990 and one of the first things i was told at school was i had to have a footy team. As my family settled in East St Kilda, i guess it was the saints for me. Little did i know the ground was nowhere near St kilda. In my class at school there was one other guy who went for the saints and when he brought me to my first game at Moorabbin in 91 i was instantly hooked. From memory plugger kicked over 10 goals a game in those first 3 or 4 games i went to and man i coudnt get enough of it.

My mate played school footy most saturdays so soon i found myself travelling alone to Linton St by train for the games. I used to love the walk from the station to the ground. I never knew where i was going, i just followed the crowd through those small lanes to the ground. It was a bit scary at first being the only asian face there but not once was i ever made to feel unwelcome by anyone of the saints supporters.

Those first few years of following the saints(and the 90s in general) were the best for me. Some of my favourite memories from that period were,

- nicky's racism stand at vic park. the pie fans were just non stop with the abuse towards our aboriginal boys. that was my first and only time at vic park so i dont know if the crowd were usually that way or that was them having an exceptionally bad day. i copped a lot, alone out on the outer that day. some feral pie fans absolutely giving me the full chink and nip treatment and i was pretty much tearing up but held it together to see mcadam's masterclass get us home. walking out of the ground that day, i just remember the resilience that flowed through my veins after copping all that s**t. I was half expecting to get thumped walking to the station but for once i wasnt scared(and i couldnt give a s**t). It really was a milestone day for me, the day when i was no longer shy or afraid to go to the footy, and to proudly show off my saints colours(instead of wearing them under a zipped up trackie).

- craig davenport kicking the winning goal at the mcg. i remember the crowd that day just kept getting bigger and bigger, i had never seen so many people in the one place ever and beating the pies by a point made the day all the more special.

- lights out at waverly. i just remember that night being freezing cold and the look on everyones faces wondering wtf is going on, and then the bonfires that started around the ground. the crowd weren't violent or anything, everyone just started mingling and had a good time. bizarre and so surreal at the same time.

- all those big bags plugger kicked at moorabbin

- making the gf in 97 and seeing so many old saints supporters in tears of joy. was wet and windy the whole night but i dont think anyone minded one bit.

apologies for the essay lol, I have so many stories and memories from my time following the saints. i better stop before this turns into a novel. its been 10 years since i had to move away from melb for work. no matter where i am(whether its on a fishing boat in the north sea or a tin mine in borneo), when it's game day and we're playing ill have the radio or comp blasting and every ounce of me will be willing our boys on.

hope to post more in the future. Go Saints!

Turned 40 today. Christ im old!

My saints story is pretty unique. My family moved to Australia in 1990 and one of the first things i was told at school was i had to have a footy team. As my family settled in East St Kilda, i guess it was the saints for me. Little did i know the ground was nowhere near St kilda. In my class at school there was one other guy who went for the saints and when he brought me to my first game at Moorabbin in 91 i was instantly hooked. From memory plugger kicked over 10 goals a game in those first 3 or 4 games i went to and man i coudnt get enough of it.

My mate played school footy most saturdays so soon i found myself travelling alone to Linton St by train for the games. I used to love the walk from the station to the ground. I never knew where i was going, i just followed the crowd through those small lanes to the ground. It was a bit scary at first being the only asian face there but not once was i ever made to feel unwelcome by anyone of the saints supporters.

Those first few years of following the saints(and the 90s in general) were the best for me. Some of my favourite memories from that period were,

- nicky's racism stand at vic park. the pie fans were just non stop with the abuse towards our aboriginal boys. that was my first and only time at vic park so i dont know if the crowd were usually that way or that was them having an exceptionally bad day. i copped a lot, alone out on the outer that day. some feral pie fans absolutely giving me the full chink and nip treatment and i was pretty much tearing up but held it together to see mcadam's masterclass get us home. walking out of the ground that day, i just remember the resilience that flowed through my veins after copping all that s**t. I was half expecting to get thumped walking to the station but for once i wasnt scared(and i couldnt give a s**t). It really was a milestone day for me, the day when i was no longer shy or afraid to go to the footy, and to proudly show off my saints colours(instead of wearing them under a zipped up trackie).

- craig davenport kicking the winning goal at the mcg. i remember the crowd that day just kept getting bigger and bigger, i had never seen so many people in the one place ever and beating the pies by a point made the day all the more special.

- lights out at waverly. i just remember that night being freezing cold and the look on everyones faces wondering wtf is going on, and then the bonfires that started around the ground. the crowd weren't violent or anything, everyone just started mingling and had a good time. bizarre and so surreal at the same time.

- all those big bags plugger kicked at moorabbin

- making the gf in 97 and seeing so many old saints supporters in tears of joy. was wet and windy the whole night but i dont think anyone minded one bit.

apologies for the essay lol, I have so many stories and memories from my time following the saints. i better stop before this turns into a novel. its been 10 years since i had to move away from melb for work. no matter where i am(whether its on a fishing boat in the north sea or a tin mine in borneo), when it's game day and we're playing ill have the radio or comp blasting and every ounce of me will be willing our boys on.

hope to post more in the future. Go Saints!
I was there at the G when Davenport got that goal. Great memory

Greetings all. I've lurked here for a little while and thought I might as well sign up.

I'm 27, I've been following the Saints since the late 90's. Living in NSW made it difficult to get to games but I have some great memories of games I have seen. Being there when Rooey took that mark back with the flight against the swans was a great thing to witness.

However I think I've only seen one game in Sydney when we've beaten the swans, and that was when G-Train was playing, we won by 2 points. Lots of people here are dying for us to win another flag, I on the other hand just want to be there when we beat the Swans in Sydney next, hope I don't wait too long.

My favourites of the past players are Lenny, Harvs, Milne, Aussie Jones, G-train, and Roo now that he's retired.

Of the new kids on the block I love Man of Steele, Skunk and Billings, I also think Gresham could be something special.

Chat to you all on the boards when I post, go easy on me, I'm new.

Greetings all. I've lurked here for a little while and thought I might as well sign up.

I'm 27, I've been following the Saints since the late 90's. Living in NSW made it difficult to get to games but I have some great memories of games I have seen. Being there when Rooey took that mark back with the flight against the swans was a great thing to witness.

However I think I've only seen one game in Sydney when we've beaten the swans, and that was when G-Train was playing, we won by 2 points. Lots of people here are dying for us to win another flag, I on the other hand just want to be there when we beat the Swans in Sydney next, hope I don't wait too long.

My favourites of the past players are Lenny, Harvs, Milne, Aussie Jones, G-train, and Roo now that he's retired.

Of the new kids on the block I love Man of Steele, Skunk and Billings, I also think Gresham could be something special.

Chat to you all on the boards when I post, go easy on me, I'm new.
Welcome newbie :)

Male from QLD (NRL country!).

My family are all die hard Brisbane Broncos fans but I could never get interested when I was younger. In 2010, when I was 10, my aunt took me to the Gabba to see the Lions vs Saints, and we came out on top by 14 points IIRC. I'd never seen such an exciting game of sport so I was hooked and have been ever since. Lenny is my all time favourite followed by Roo, and I was always amazed by what Milney could pull out of the bag. I've seen highlights of Harvey, Gehrig, etc, but obviously I wasn't old enough to appreciate them during their time.

I'm quietly very excited about our chances in the years to come and while I haven't been waiting nearly as long as some you, I still want nothing more than to see the Sainters get up on Grand Final day.

See you on the boards!

No links to AFL whatsoever :D. Lived all my life in Manchester, England, and became interested in AFL because live games are shown over here on BT Sport and I became engrossed. Needing a team to support, I wasn't particularly taken by any of them, but then I saw the red, white and black strip, and, as a Manchester United fan, that was it for me. There's also the fact St Kilda are always written off as glorious (or even inglorious) failures; so, I'm thinking you guys need the support more than the so called glamour teams. I find myself checking for the Saints scores during the season and really enjoy watching the live games over here. Hopefully, I shall post more during next season; I've joined the forum just as the season ends :$.

Being self taught in all things AFL, I'm not on certain ground when it comes to some of the rules and the footy etiquette, so I hope you won't mind my asking things from the novice's standpoint when I'm here.

Top eight next year Saints!

Last edited:
No links to AFL whatsoever :D. Lived all my life in Manchester, England, and became interested in AFL because live games are shown over here on BT Sport and I became engrossed. Needing a team to support, I wasn't particularly taken by any of them, but then I saw the red, white and black strip; and, as a Manchester United fan, that was it for me. There's also the fact St Kilda are always written off as glorious (or even inglorious) failures; so, I'm thinking you guys need the support more than the so called glamour teams. I find myself checking for the Saints scores during the season and really enjoy watching the live games over here. Hopefully, I shall post more during next season: I've joined the forum just as the season ends :$.

Being self taught in all things AFL, I'm not on certain ground when it comes to some of the rules and the footy etiquette, so I hope you want mind my asking things from the novice's standpoint when I'm here.

Great to have you on board but I'm struggling to stomach the other side that you support. :thumbsdown:

;)

Great to have you on board but I'm struggling to stomach the other side that you support. :thumbsdown:

;)

No hard feelings, mate. I see you're a Villa man; it's been a very tough few years for them. A big club that should be in the EPL, but has been badly run for a few years now.

No hard feelings, mate. I see you're a Villa man; it's been a very tough few years for them. A big club that should be in the EPL, but has been badly run for a few years now.

Yeah pretty tough last few years, especially the 15-16 season, but then that was just the culmination of years of crap. Things aren't looking too bad at the moment, the team seems to be stringing a good run of form together, has a good Championship-level manager at the helm and I'm optimistic we can push for a playoff spot this season.

No links to AFL whatsoever :D. Lived all my life in Manchester, England, and became interested in AFL because live games are shown over here on BT Sport and I became engrossed. Needing a team to support, I wasn't particularly taken by any of them, but then I saw the red, white and black strip; and, as a Manchester United fan, that was it for me. There's also the fact St Kilda are always written off as glorious (or even inglorious) failures; so, I'm thinking you guys need the support more than the so called glamour teams. I find myself checking for the Saints scores during the season and really enjoy watching the live games over here. Hopefully, I shall post more during next season: I've joined the forum just as the season ends :$.

Being self taught in all things AFL, I'm not on certain ground when it comes to some of the rules and the footy etiquette, so I hope you want mind my asking things from the novice's standpoint when I'm here.

Welcome mate. Feel free to ask any and all questions!

Funnily enough I chose to support Man Utd due to their colours in Fifa 99. Playing with Solskjaer and Cole up forward. Those were the days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome mate. Feel free to ask any and all questions!

Funnily enough I chose to support Man Utd due to their colours in Fifa 99. Playing with Solskjaer and Cole up forward. Those were the days.

Thanks very much. I'm sure AFL would have many more fans in the UK if it had terrestrial free-to-air TV coverage. The combination of courage, stamina and skill is second to none, and when I first started watching a couple of years back, it was largely due to being so impressed by the all round ability; I didn't know the rules of play - those were picked up (imperfectly) by watching. I can't watch American Football because of the constant breaks in play, but AFL is the complete opposite.

Probably not the place for this but I'll happily be redirected. This is a bit of a Hail Mary, I was curious to know if any of you guys know about a Saints fan called Darren Broughton. He used to run a little Saints based website, name escapes me and he was based in Sydney I believe. A lifetime ago back when I was living in Melbourne he and I connected, can't remember how and we ended up going to a few games together. He connected me to other saints fans like Jackie O and this Rock and Roller dude and his cool son, names escape me. We emailed a few times but I guess we dropped off.

No real reason to catch up, I suppose just wanted to know if he's still about and just to say "hi". He was always a good bloke to me and seemed like a good soldier on the Saints Army.

If he or anyone who knows him is reading this, plesse PM me.

Cheers!

Supported the Saints for over 40 years now. As a very young kid I was coaxed into initially supporting Richmond by an evil brother. However a kindly Uncle offered me 20 cents and a pair of St.Kilda socks to support the Saints, and I thought that was an offer I couldn't refuse. He gave me the same as a present on my 40th, and whenever I sit at Etihad now before the match, I always spare a thought for him and that transaction and the joy (and pain) it's brought me over so many years. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Being a country kid I hardly ever saw a game live until adult life, but will never forget the first trip to Moorabbin and seeing the Fortius Quo Fidelius motto under the insignia and thinking it was nothing short of awesome. Apart from that had to rely on The Winners and the rare occasions when the Saints would be shown during the dark days of the 80's. If anything, the lack of coverage made names like Burns, Cunningham, Elphinstone etc. seem more legendary.

It's still a thrill to receive the membership pack, makes me feel like a little kid again. Although I'm sorry to see Rooey retire, excited about the future. Love watching Gresh's work and seeing Billings become the player we all hoped he'd be. Go Saints.

I never cared much about footy as a youngster, but when I started working at 16 I landed a job in a small business that was owned and operated by a couple of Saints die-hards. There was only one other bloke working there, and can you guess what his team was? Yep, ****ing St Kilda.
So every morning, lunch, arvo tea, and after work at the pub, it was Harvey this and Burkie that. It was an indoctrination by saturation.
Anyways, I got a ride through the Roo era rebuild, and got to see my team in a few grand finals, before I came to understand the true meaning of being a Saints supporter. I took a couple of years off after 2012, but the shwifty trade with Hawthorn sparked my interest again and now I'm enjoying my second rebuild. I consider myself more of an observer really. This forum has been good entertainment over the last year, so I thought it time to join the love-in and offer some of my astute observations, that are based entirely on my own opinion, and are never wrong. Looking forward to this seasons ups and downs, but I wouldn't be too cut up with another top 10 pick this year, as we are building a good group of youngsters that still have a lot of improvement left in them.

I'll see everyone out on the threads.

I never cared much about footy as a youngster, but when I started working at 16 I landed a job in a small business that was owned and operated by a couple of Saints die-hards. There was only one other bloke working there, and can you guess what his team was? Yep, ****ing St Kilda.
So every morning, lunch, arvo tea, and after work at the pub, it was Harvey this and Burkie that. It was an indoctrination by saturation.
Anyways, I got a ride through the Roo era rebuild, and got to see my team in a few grand finals, before I came to understand the true meaning of being a Saints supporter. I took a couple of years off after 2012, but the shwifty trade with Hawthorn sparked my interest again and now I'm enjoying my second rebuild. I consider myself more of an observer really. This forum has been good entertainment over the last year, so I thought it time to join the love-in and offer some of my astute observations, that are based entirely on my own opinion, and are never wrong. Looking forward to this seasons ups and downs, but I wouldn't be too cut up with another top 10 pick this year, as we are building a good group of youngsters that still have a lot of improvement left in them.

I'll see everyone out on the threads.
Welcome to the forums pal :thumbsu:

Hi fellow sainters!
Been casually lurking the dark and dingy hallways of bigfooty for a couple of years now and finally decided to sign up.

Followed saints for close to five years now. Family not too big on footy but I was getting really into it at that stage of my life. Not too sure why I picked Saints, tbh, but pretty sure it was something to do with Nick Riewoldt. Also living in SA ya kinda get sick of hearing about Port and Crows all ya life:huh:

And now in 2018 I'm a die-hard Saints fan, for better or for worse:drunk:
welcome

Saw this on a lot of other boards, thought especially for new posters would be good as a first pit stop.
I'll get the ball rolling..
Male.
Grew up in a small town called upwey, now live in carlscum.
Love the saints, love Jack billings.
Hi saints fans. I'm -a refugee from Saintsational. That forum has degenerated into a pathetic back and forth forum of insults. Most of the better posters have migrated from there to here. I've been reading for a while, which confirmed my suspicions. I've been a saints supporter since 1970, member since 1993, and an employee from 1997 until Rossy got the arse in 2011. I'm sad to see what's happening now, but as a long suffering saint, I'm hanging in there. I hope I can do the forum justice.
Cheers Drake GG Huggins.

Oh why do I keep following St.kilda, I find myself asking a lot in recent times? Oh why do I care?...

That started a long time ago, when footy players appeared on the back of cereal packets. Including a one Ross Smith. I had no idea of who he was, or what the colors he was wearing. But to a little kid, he looked oh. so. cool. The nearest thing to a God in my tiny little short life. A mere random event one overcast morning.

I had followed the dogs up until that point. A meeting with a cereal packet changed all that. Like meeting a girl for the first time and everything else suddenly ceases to exist. Everything stops and the past has no meaning.

As an adult I'm still awestruck by it's simplicity and power.

And still I ask why do I care? It's inside me and I can't do anything to change it. Can't do anything... (shrugs...)

G'day fellow sainters. I've been a fan since 1970 and a member since 1993. One if my earliest memories was the 1971 GF. My dad and I were guests of the great John Macintosh as dad worked with him. Unfortunately he was sitting in the stands and not playing on the ground. Would've been the difference, I'm sure. Joy at 3/4 time followed by tears all the way home. Portent to a future of barracking for the saints! Moorabbin still holds my fondest memories, from my first game against Fitzroy in 1970 to the last, also against the lions, with Plugger turning it on as usual. My playing career stopped me seeing too much of the bad bits of the eighties, but marriage and a bad groin injury (not related) allowed me to follow the Lockett Juggernaut of 1987. I ended up working for the club on a part time basis in 1998, doing a bit if psychological work, then in recruiting with the legendary Bevo. I saw off a few coaches before I got the bullet when Ross Lyon left. It was an interesting ride. From poor old Timid, through Mad Malcolm, GT and finally RL, I felt privileged to have had a ringside seat to the ride. They were mainly great times, with our club being feared and respected. I even got paid (not 22c in the dollar either!). Like most saints, I feel devastated by the state if the club ATM. We've shown so much patience and have endured another 7 year rebuild that looks to have failed. It's hard to know where we are heading from here. The only thing to do is hang in as we always have. Go saints!

G'day fellow sainters. I've been a fan since 1970 and a member since 1993. One if my earliest memories was the 1971 GF. My dad and I were guests of the great John Macintosh as dad worked with him. Unfortunately he was sitting in the stands and not playing on the ground. Would've been the difference, I'm sure. Joy at 3/4 time followed by tears all the way home. Portent to a future of barracking for the saints! Moorabbin still holds my fondest memories, from my first game against Fitzroy in 1970 to the last, also against the lions, with Plugger turning it on as usual. My playing career stopped me seeing too much of the bad bits of the eighties, but marriage and a bad groin injury (not related) allowed me to follow the Lockett Juggernaut of 1987. I ended up working for the club on a part time basis in 1998, doing a bit if psychological work, then in recruiting with the legendary Bevo. I saw off a few coaches before I got the bullet when Ross Lyon left. It was an interesting ride. From poor old Timid, through Mad Malcolm, GT and finally RL, I felt privileged to have had a ringside seat to the ride. They were mainly great times, with our club being feared and respected. I even got paid (not 22c in the dollar either!). Like most saints, I feel devastated by the state if the club ATM. We've shown so much patience and have endured another 7 year rebuild that looks to have failed. It's hard to know where we are heading from here. The only thing to do is hang in as we always have. Go saints!
You're a brave man identifying yourself as having something to do with recruitment during such a poor recruitment period, but welcome!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back