Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello boys (mostly it seems),
Female, 48, from Emerald. My first love was Greg Burns, but I've been blessed to see some of the most awesome players ever to pull on the Red, white and black panels. Lockett, Loewe, Harvs, Milney, G, Lenny and Roo, it's been an awesome ride and it's not done yet. Deep breath, and on with the next chapter.

Hello boys (mostly it seems),
Female, 48, from Emerald. My first love was Greg Burns, but I've been blessed to see some of the most awesome players ever to pull on the Red, white and black panels. Lockett, Loewe, Harvs, Milney, G, Lenny and Roo, it's been an awesome ride and it's not done yet. Deep breath, and on with the next chapter.

Welcome to the board :)

Rather, welcome back!

Been following the saints for decades. Missed the flag unfortunately, as we arrived in Oz a few years too late. Mate of mine tried to convince me to follow the pies, so I listened to a game they played against the saints & I was hooked - on the saints that is. Some great players like Big Carl, Cowboy Neale & Barry Lawrence around then. From memory the saints came back to win that one.
Was a similar story to mine (and family)
On arriving in Melbourne, a carlton supporting work colleague invited my father to a game at Moorabbin - I tagged along
In typical aussie fashion he went for the other side and co-incidentally the underdog - and so the family was entrenched as saints fans
Missed the 1 GF, saw a few good years in the 70s and some woeful ones in the 80s
But by '97 was back in Qld although I did get to see some wonderful years (player wise) in the 90s

the footy gods rolled a geographical dice and came up Saints

Was a similar story to mine (and family)
On arriving in Melbourne, a carlton supporting work colleague invited my father to a game at Moorabbin - I tagged along
In typical aussie fashion he went for the other side and co-incidentally the underdog - and so the family was entrenched as saints fans
Missed the 1 GF, saw a few good years in the 70s and some woeful ones in the 80s
But by '97 was back in Qld although I did get to see some wonderful years (player wise) in the 90s

the footy gods rolled a geographical dice and came up Saints

That is similar! The dice might have been loaded though...
Do you ever get out to the Gabba or Carrara?

That is similar! The dice might have been loaded though...
Do you ever get out to the Gabba or Carrara?

yep those dice were sure loaded - the housing option could very well have been camberwell - Mind you later on living out further east Waverley Park was very handy

Dont get down to brissy/GC very often - so no ;-(

Hey all, newbie here. sorry for my bad English :)

28 years old from Israel, start to watch AFL in Eurosports couple of years ago.. (2010-2011? I think..)

I don't remmber why i pick Saints, maybe because they remind me other team that I support, Tottenham Hotspur. always go with the underdogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all, newbie here. sorry for my bad English :)

28 years old from Israel, start to watch AFL in Eurosports couple of years ago.. (2010-2011? I think..)

I don't remmber why i pick Saints, maybe because they remind me other team that I support, Tottenham Hotspur. always go with the underdogs.

There are a few Israeli Australians that follow the Saints in Oz too. Good choice.

Check this out at around the 1 minute mark. Perhaps this man started something subconsciously spreading there.

Hi
I'm 50, originally from USA.
Saw first Saints game in '95. Bought a membership, never missed a game until career forced me out of country irradically from 2014 -

Worked hard and found luck here, was blessed to be able to support the club during late 90's thru 2010, it "bought" me access. Not that interested in politics of the club but sure valued player connections, however brief and minor they were...go Saints!

I started going to Saints games in the mid-late 80's when I was a couple of years old, with my dad.

We sometimes drove, sometimes got the train from Elsternwick, and sat in the outer at Moorabbin and I loved it from the very beginning.

Soon I started having birthday parties at the club - one year, my dad rented a little bus/van thing and picked up my best friends from school on a Thursday afternoon and took us to Moorabbin for the evening training session. The club put on a cake and food for us in one of the boardrooms and got taken down into the rooms by Dean Greig to meet the players. Dad did some business with guys at the club like Johnny Beveridge and every now and then players would come into his shop to get something done and he would get photos and autographs for me.

As I grew up I got more and more involved in the club and it's activities. For years I never missed a game, at home or interstate. Got to see some great games at Subi, the Gabba, SCG and AAMI Park, now Adelaide Oval of course. One of my favourite memories was getting the train over with a group of fans for the 2005 Semi Final against the Crows and staying up all night partying, jumping on a train home again at 8am the next morning. I really thought I was going to see a flag that year.

In about 1999/2000 after a few years of posting, I became a moderator and then administrator of the Saintsational fan forum. I finished up there as I became more of an adult, working, relationships etc. But since that time I've always had some involvement with the club, albeit never in an official capacity, whether it was through consulting with or for members of the adminstration or assisting digital/fan engagement teams. Have been lucky enough to get to know a few of the players over the years, but am definitely not a "club insider." I tend to keep my distance these days and operate solely as a fan and a member.

Have been so lucky to see so many incredible players in the flesh - from Barker to Plugger, Harvey, Burke, Loewe and Winmar, Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard, Montagna and Dal Santo - and a couple of incredible teams that got oh so close.

The '91 and 2009/10 teams spring to mind as teams that deserved so much more.

This club is in my blood. It always will be, no matter where in the world I am, or what my situation is or will be.

St Kilda Football Club is my second family and I love them no matter what.

Hey folks,

I have been a Saints tragic since the age of 5 or 6, around 1981-82. I was initiated through the lean years of the 80s, so I have learned to not take winning for granted. Unlike most, my Sainthood wasn't passed down to me through family (my parents weren't interested in footy at all), but through a combination of things: a good friend in primary school; the Swans moving to Sydney (my Grandpa was an old South Melbourne fan) and my mother buying me a footy jumper which turned out to be a St.Kilda one, as the sports store only had Saints ones in my size. That's pretty much how my fate was sealed in becoming a Sainter.

For any of you who have posted previously on the Sainstational forum, I have posted under the username: Sainternist.

Cheers! :)

47 old male
live in the Berwick area
mow lawns when I'm not playing Golf
and Trevor Barker was an amazing Saint

You're Jim, now the owner of a franchising empire. How about you become a major sponsor, Scrooge? Imagine, become a part of "Jim's Saints"!

You would, of course, provide full training, including forking over thousands of dollars every year on a promise of service, which is delivered once a millenium.

We'd also get teased by legendary talent, which prematurely raises expectations to ridiculous levels.

Brainwashed into thinking we're we are convinced the Messiah is returning to deliver the Holy Grail.
Barker, Lockett, Harvey, Watson, Blight, Roo and GT have been identified as false prophets. Close, but not the "One".

Here endeth the lesson.

Sorry Mowman. I posted my guess as to who you might be. I went for Jim, the franchising mogul. Jim's Mowing? I know. Pretty lame. Been in hospital all day. Bored, bored, bored, bored...........my original post disappeared into the ether. Sorry.

And right on cue, it pops back in from the quantam field!

Hey all, been a long-time lurker of the Saints board, and am starting to get around a few posts. I have followed the AFL for well over a decade now (still a spritely 28 year old lad) and originally came to Big Footy as a bit of a mixed bag and not really supporting a team as such and by default I just selected the Lions as I originally came from Queensland. To be honest I don't think I've ever posted on the Lions board and seem to be on this board more than anything. How I got to this point though is I met my current girlfriend in Tassie and she's an avid Saints fan and I've jumped on the bandwagon in the last 2.5 years. I'm currently living in Perth with her now and am super passionate about the Saints (got a heap of their merch) and when my mates take a shot at the club, in jest or not, I take it personally. I am part of the Western Saints over here in Perth and no doubt I've met a couple of you in real life before (I know for a fact I've met Trav). Feel we are well and truly on the rise and I will be spending some of my hard-earned for the upcoming season on a couple of new Saints memberships for my girlfriend and I. Can't wait for what's ahead. Up the red, white and black.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back