Player Sponsorship BigFooty Saints Board Player Sponsors Final Event - Saints BnF

Time has come for our Player Sponsors final event of the year, the Trevor Barker medal event.

We get 2 tix so will be 2 lucky sponsors heading to, what is always a good night out.

Wednesday Sept 11th
7pm
Crown

Please let me know ASAP who is keen to attend, we need to do the raffle pretty quickly so I can let the club know who will be attending.

Cheers
Boydie

I'm keen to go along but ticket prices putting me off. Not sure im in the raffle though haha. Will be interesting to see if we have announced a couch by then. Maybe announce Ratten on the night?

"Who wins?" is another great question. Marshall the fave?

Armitage2Riewoldt and Brains Trust66 are our winners!!
BigMonty you are the backup.
Can you guys PM your names, mob numbers and emails so I can pass onto the club ASAP.
As always we expect detailed write up!

Cheers
Boydie
I am very happy to have won , but my back isnt up to doing something like that at the moment . Sorry for late notice , i havent been on for awhile .

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Alright sorry for the delay but here's my write up of the event! I won't focus a heap on what happened as I'm sure the people reading this are the same ones that watched the stream. So it'll be more my experience and feelings towards the meals. Though perhaps not as in depth as StFly would be.

Rocked up just after 7 - working in the peninsula doesn't help getting to the city quickly. Followed the people who were well dressed and we made our way up the escalators to the Palladium. Upon checking the table arrangements it appears my request to sit on the same table as my partner had fallen upon deaf ears (not looking at anyone in particular boydie ;) ). All was well and good as a friendly fellow at the club managed to move things around and get us on the same table. Unfortunately for me that meant moving from a prime position in the centre of the room to the back corner - as well as leaving BigMonty a little lonely. Apologies again!

Place looked amazing as per usual and the drinks were already flowing before we sat down. Having a quick look at the menu it appeared there would be no 'rotation' of meals but rather a set meal for everyone. A little disappointing as I always appreciated the variety of events like these (and swapping meals with someone else if theres looked better) Eventually Alicia Loxley introduced herself (with the first of many shushings) and the proceedings got underway. Stewie and Banger spoke beautifully and it was difficult to not be emotional, except for the fact i choked a bit on my beer and spent about 30 seconds struggling to breathe and not cough loudly in a very silent room. Great start for me.

Burkey and Michael Roberts brought the mood up a little (as much as that was possible) with a little more laid back approach to it all. I think the entree was brought out about this time. Medium rare lamb with a very nice sauce (served in an ice cream cone?). Never been massive on lamb but this s**t was good. Serving size a little small though.

Proceedings were pretty standard for the next little bit as they went through a bunch of awards (all of which were won by Roma if i recall correctly). And then a bunch of people made speeches. Was great to hear from Ratts - he definitely got the rowdiest reception of the night. Was quick to inform my partner (who is unfortunately a Blues supporter) that the guy we just cheered loudly for used to be one of hers! She seemed relatively unphased.

Around this point they had a break and I having made the effort to let BigMonty know where I was sitting earlier was hunted down! He approached the table at a rapid rate looking for an 'Armitage2Riewoldt' and we had a good chat about the night, footy and all things going on in the world. Great to meet you and hope you had as good a night as we did!

We went player hunting but for the life of me I couldn't find our boy anywhere. I wasn't feeling up to fan boying as much as previous years and with the partner in tow couldn't even convince her to grab a photo with Steele (who I hear is alright looking apparently). Did manage to have a chat with Roma and grab a photo though. Great kid.

Main was chicken and potato (i think) this year which seemed like a bit of a budget cutting proposition to me (perhaps along the same lines of having your Best & Fairest on a Wednesday night). But it was actually really good and we demolished it - along with several glasses of red (partner was on the Sparkling - it was 'good').

Votes and interviews flowed all of which I'm sure you're aware of how they went. Dal was great value, definitely talks like a media personality more than a footballer these days. A good interviewer though especially when Hunter, Coff, Battle and Ming give you very little. At least Wilkie looked like he'd talked in front of a crowd before! Thought the crowd voting for the best goal, mark, tackle and celebration was pretty cool and 'innovative' as well. Club clearly didn't take itself too seriously which was good to see.

Dessert was awesome:
M0wrRpR

Ice cream with a chocolate footy on it. Got some coffee as well which was high on the priority list after far too much wine. Chatted a little more, got some momentos and decided to call it a night about 1. Was pretty thankful I booked the morning off the next day.

Awesome event. Club did really well in what would have been a difficult time. Thanks again Boydie for running the show. Until next year!

Last edited:
Firstly hats off to Boydie. Thanks for all the support and efforts that you have given this year.

Arrived a bit later than wanted to and glided into my seat about 5 mins before the start of proceedings. Couple of Saintsational guys on the table there as well, didn't know people could look so ugly :cool:

Tribute to Spud was well done and not too over sentimental. Stewie Loewe & Banger spoke from the heart as you would expect and they both were emotional during the speech, as was to be expected.

Spud was part of the fabric of the club for so long and was a major influencer and organiser for players of the 80s and 90s. He was part of the larger than life Ballarat crew who's exploits have become legendary and part of what makes our club a bit special.

On with the night, it was the first one that I have ever been to and the take aways are that it was a slick event, food was first class, as were the WAGS. There were more sponsors and sponsor invitees than you could shake a stick at.

In reality the speeches were typically generic. The Pres spoke about next year, the Coach talked about next year and the Captain talked about next year. They all are media scripted to mention sponsors etc, as are the players.

Take-aways, the Pres, looks to have a clear concise phrasing and a measured speech delivery. There is no doubt that there is some steel under the surface and he seems to be a no nonsense type and unflappable. Doubt we will get many controversial statements from him, unless he means to stick it to someone and he seems the type that will not back down.

Rats is just Rats. My ex Carlton Director mate reckons he was the best game day coach they have had, just a bit young and inexperienced and that worked against him in the end. His message suggests that we will not be as dour as under Richo and I reckon and he will bring a bit of life and spirit back to the club's persona. He suggested tweeks to the game plan rather than massive changes and he thinks that with the players that will come back into the side we should have a better year next year. All speakers gave Richo a wrap which was followed by either a cheer or clapping from the crowd...I like that...seems that it was a decision that had to be made albeit with reluctance.

Geary was in my opinion the best speaker of the lot. He speaks very clearly and with a tone of nonchalance about him that makes him very listenable. But also does not waste words with tinges of an assumed subtle authority without it being an in your face style..that others adopt to get their message across. Was very impressed. He also stated come back fit boys......but I reckon that is a standard line that all clubs will use.

Seb Ross was very emotional with his acceptance speech especially when talking about Spud.

The whole place murmured every time Marshall's name was mentioned....the faithful think.... but also want him to be special.

I got the feeling that the boys wanted to go and let rip with 50 bevies each, leave the WAGS, the sponsors, the faithful behind to please themselves and go out and tie one on....as they should, I can remember being a young man once.

Last thing I wanted to do on a BF night was chat with a 57 year old man that I did not know, about the season that was, and what the plans were for next year, so I beat a hasty exit after savouring a number of the delightful shirazs on offer and got home at a reasonable hour, as I like many had to work for a living the next day....they on the other hand did not....good luck to them....hope they got home 5-6 in the morning like I did at their age!!

Gatorade and an egg and bacon sandwich...the health food following a big night.

Final thoughts, it was understated partially because of earlier events...but felt there was an undercurrent of understated determination. Let's hope!!!

May I wish Brains Trust and Rabbit who were the backbone to the podcasts we did this year, a Merry and safe Christmas and New Year (as to all the BF Saints family) and look forward to 2020 season.

BigMonty

Back