Podcast BigFooty Tigercast - Cassie Rowe interview

This podcast is a bit different to what you're used to, and I understand it won't appeal to everyone and that is fine as well.

but some might enjoy this.

The other week when the Taylor Harris photo dropped and the negative, disgusting comments started rolling in I noticed a very passionate Facebook post from my Cousin in Law, Cassie Rowe.

Cass has been around football for a long time and played almost 200 games. She has done it all from being the only girl at a footy club in her junior days, to having recently represented Australia in a game of International Rules as part of the VAFA and GAA program.

Her FB post was addressing a few of the issues surrounding the perception of AFLW, the trolling of players and the game itself, as well as comments made towards some of the mens players, and I personally felt people needed to hear this message and hear her thoughts on a few different topics as a young women playing the game she loves.

It only goes for 24 minutes, but she is passionate and interesting to listen to.

Listen below:

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/17487922

Last edited:
Great to hear some of Cass’s story, anybody who overcomes hurdles to follow their passion is worth a listen to.
Also to appreciate the natural resiliance that comes when making decisions based on what you want outve life rather than living by what you don’t want can make life richer.

Not sure who’s avatar this belongs to but I liked it so much I made a copy
D1ACD721-6347-4852-801B-CC17F84F668A.jpeg

Passionate young lady.

I can't see the issue here really. Girls play footy - Great!

So what?

But then maybe I'm the wrong guy to understand the trolls. Often at the gym I'm the only guy in a class. I do it because I get a structured work out that hits whatever object I'm targeting in that class. That there are girls doesn't strike me as a issue. But obviously many guys care.

Anyway, my care for AFLW is limited by the fact that the Tigers aren't playing. So come on next year for me get my care factor up. Got to get me one of those early AFLW Tiger memberships.

Thanks Michaels. Pass on my thanks to Cassie. I hope she has a cracking season. (I know some of the kids in the age bracket below her – watch out for the Thunder u18’s this year!)

I don't understand why some men need to put s**t on female footy. It's not new. My Grandma played in the 30’s in northern Vic. The Meeniyan Town Hall has photos of their women’s team from the 50’s. Female footy doesn’t detract from any other form of footy. It might not be everyone’s idea of fun to watch, but neither is over 35s, juniors or even my local suburban team who aren’t much chop. Never hear any whinging directed at those comps.

Safe to say that the majority of people see the hot air for what it is - misogyny from scared little men.

Thanks Michaels. Pass on my thanks to Cassie. I hope she has a cracking season. (I know some of the kids in the age bracket below her – watch out for the Thunder u18’s this year!)

I don't understand why some men need to put s**t on female footy. It's not new. My Grandma played in the 30’s in northern Vic. The Meeniyan Town Hall has photos of their women’s team from the 50’s. Female footy doesn’t detract from any other form of footy. It might not be everyone’s idea of fun to watch, but neither is over 35s, juniors or even my local suburban team who aren’t much chop. Never hear any whinging directed at those comps.

Safe to say that the majority of people see the hot air for what it is - misogyny from scared little men.

Will do mate!

she has already had a big 2019 so far, she flew over to the NT to be part of their season early on this year / end of last year, has represented Australia in the International Rules game run by the VAFA and the GAA, and was recently named Vice Captain of the MCC team for 2019 and we are only in April!

Yeah I don't get the hate either, like you said it has been around for ages. It's now just a lot more in the spot light.

The best thing to come of it all is the pathways now provided for young girls growing up wanting to play footy.

Back