BigFooty Top Book list - voting commenced!

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Lord Of The Rings - JRR Tolkien
2. L.A. Requiem - Robert Crais
3. The Drifters - James Michener
4. The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
5. A Song Of Ice And Fire - George RR Martin
6. Pandeamonium - Christopher Brookmyre
7. In The Electric Mist With Confederate Dead - James Lee Burke (any of his Dave Robicheaux/Billy Bob Holland books)
8. Dead Souls - Ian Rankin (any Rebus book)
9. The Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton
10.Exodus - Leon Uris

So many, many more could have been chosen.

That was a poll done when it was easy to exploit results and so nutcase Objectivists and Scientologists re-voted in mass numbers. For some stupid reason Modern Library seem quite oblivious to what occured and still legitimise it.
Are you still claiming you can write a better script for season 3 of "The Fall"?

Danoz - Have to say I'm extremely surprised The Alchemist rarely rates a mention (if at all)

Agree Danoz. Great inspiring book. Its on my list.

My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer…Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.
Paulo Coelho

Ok i will give this a go although it is so hard to condense the favorites down to just a few, so i picked the ones that had me going back and re-reading them time and time again over the years.
1- Magician- by R E Feist. far and away the best book i have read, loved the entire series but the first was the best.
2- Triplanetary - by E.E. Doc Smith, the classic Lensman series, although dated nowdays had a massive impact on my formative reading years.
3- Shogun - by James Clavell
4- The Ninja - by7 Eric Van Lustbader
5-The Stones Of Power series By David Gemmell, In fact all his books are an excellent read, taken from us far to early.
6- The Deverry series by Katherine Kerr Simply awesome
7- Red Storm Rising- Tom Clancy, A great read that could easily have become history rather than fiction.
8- First Blood - David Morrell, (Rambo) read it years before the movie.
9 - Tai-Pan -by James Clavell
10- The Dragonlance Chronicles - by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, another series that had a big impact.

1. Lord Of The Rings - JRR Tolkien
2. L.A. Requiem - Robert Crais
3. The Drifters - James Michener
4. The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
5. A Song Of Ice And Fire - George RR Martin
6. Pandeamonium - Christopher Brookmyre
7. In The Electric Mist With Confederate Dead - James Lee Burke (any of his Dave Robicheaux/Billy Bob Holland books)
8. Dead Souls - Ian Rankin (any Rebus book)
9. The Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton
10.Exodus - Leon Uris

So many, many more could have been chosen.

Mate, well done, Robert Crais and James Lee Burke. Burke is a brilliant author. As the Guardian says: "His control of character and pace is so precise that the reader is drawn, as if by magic, into turning the page as the author sinuously ushers his readers into a world they will never have imagined."

That was a poll done when it was easy to exploit results and so nutcase Objectivists and Scientologists re-voted in mass numbers. For some stupid reason Modern Library seem quite oblivious to what occured and still legitimise it.
Explain to the forum how discovering Gillian Anderson is a post op trans woman (due to your view that she looks masculine in the face), is interesting and not some sort of "crying game" rip off???

1 The Dark Tower Series, Stephen King (book 2 especially)
2 The Song of Ice and Fire, George R R Martin
3 Lord of the Rings, J R R Tolkien
4 The Belgariad, David Eddings
5 The Malloreon, David Eddings
6 The World without End, Ken Follett
7 Dune, Frank Herbert
8 The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever, Stephen Donaldson
9 His Dark materials series, Philip Pullman
10 Under the Dome, Stephen King
11 The Sword of Shanarra, Terry Brooks
12 The Eyes of the Dragon, Stephen King
13 The Elenium, David Eddings
14 The Tamuli, David Eddings
15 The Hobbit, J R R Tolkein
16 Viking, Tim Severin
17 Emporer series, Conn Iggulden
18 Sahara, Clive Cussler
19 The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follet
20 Harry Potter Series, J K Rowling

1 The Dark Tower Series, Stephen King (book 2 especially)
2 The Song of Ice and Fire, George R R Martin
3 Lord of the Rings, J R R Tolkien
4 The Belgariad, David Eddings
5 The Malloreon, David Eddings
6 The World without End, Ken Follett
7 Dune, Frank Herbert
8 The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever, Stephen Donaldson
9 His Dark materials series, Philip Pullman
10 Under the Dome, Stephen King
11 The Sword of Shanarra, Terry Brooks
12 The Eyes of the Dragon, Stephen King
13 The Elenium, David Eddings
14 The Tamuli, David Eddings
15 The Hobbit, J R R Tolkein
16 Viking, Tim Severin
17 Emporer series, Conn Iggulden
18 Sahara, Clive Cussler
19 The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follet
20 Harry Potter Series, J K Rowling
A big fan of Eddings, I see? :D
My list might've looked like that if I'd let it ;)

1. The Road
2. A Song of Ice and Fire Series
3. East of Eden
4. The Catcher in the Rye
5. Dracula
6. Wuthering Heights
7. Tree of Smoke
8. Of Mice and Men
9. The Great Gatsby
10. Winter's Bone

I was wondering about some of the other books on people's "best" list - whether they'd also watched the movie and which they thought was better; movie or book.

I myself won't ever watch a movie of a book that I've read, nor read a book of a movie that I've watched.
I find that there's too much of a gap between my imagination and the imagination of those who convert books to movies- and I am disappointed when I find the movie very flat.

The first book/movie pairing that I read, then watched, was Dune.
No movie could replicate what my mind fantasised when I read that book!
Just as well you missed the movie version of Dune. Was one of the worst films ever made.

I do enjoy the TV series of GOT. (Actually rate it as my favourite TV series) Most of the story lines are similar to the book but the are some deviations. For example, Noah Taylor's character was not in the book. Not worth comparing the TV series to the book, just enjoy the show for what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will have to do until I can get home and look at my book shelf:

1 - The Death of Yugoslavia
2 - Rainbow Six
3 - The Road
4 - Moneyball
5 - More Money Than God
6 - Nineteen Eighty-Four
7 - Fooling Some Of The People All Of The Time
8 - To Ride Hell's Chasm
9 - The Cycle Of Fire Series
10 - Wheel Of Time Series
11 - Tomorrow When The War Began Series
12 - All Quiet On The Western Front
13 - Stalingrad (Beevor)
14 - The Storm of War - A New History Of The Second World War
15 - Night
16 - Guns. Germs And Steel
17 - A Splendid Exchange - How Trade Shaped The World
18 - D-Day (Beevor)
19 - Confidence Game - How Hedge Fund MAnager Bill Ackman Called Wall Street's Bluff
20 - Right Hand, Left Hand

Awesome thread. Here is my somewhat eclectic list, the accuracy of which suffers as a result of my horrendous memory. I see that To Kill A Mockingbird is on many lists, but since I last read (and enjoyed) it over 30 years ago, I can't genuinely include it in my top 20. Also, I haven't read a lot of those that most would consider classics.

1. Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
2. Alex Delaware series - Jonathan Kellerman
3. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
4. The Island - Richard Laymon
5. Cancer Ward - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (I agree with swingdog on this - thanks for the reminder)
6. Animal Farm- George Orwell
7. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
8. Rabbit Run - John Updike
9. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (though I found it hard work)
10. Dark Matter - Juli Zeh
11. deadkidsongs - Toby Litt
12. Eye of The Needle - Ken Follett
13. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
14. Duma Key - Stephen King
15. Four Past Midnight - Stephen King
16. Relentless - Dean Koontz
17. The Turning - Tim Winton
18. Scarecrow series - Matthew Reilly
19. Trouble - Jesse Kellerman
20. The Rivers of London- Ben Aaronovitch

I feel like I've been harsh on King, Koontz and Laymon as many of their titles could make this sort of list.
doubled on the Hobbit

Do have an inkling for the fantasy genre. Read all his books when I was at uni and hang out for the next book in the series. Much like now waiting for George R R Martin's Winds of Winter.
Yeah- I was in the same boat- reading at Uni, desperate for the next instalment. :)
I was devastated to hear that Eddings had died and that there'd be no more books coming. He was a rare talent.

Just as well you missed the movie version of Dune. Was one of the worst films ever made.

I do enjoy the TV series of GOT. (Actually rate it as my favourite TV series) Most of the story lines are similar to the book but the are some deviations. For example, Noah Taylor's character was not in the book. Not worth comparing the TV series to the book, just enjoy the show for what it is.
:( Unfortunately Dune was the only movie/book coupling that I've watched. Think I saw it in the early-mid 80s. I thought the movie itself was ok but totally unlike how I'd envisaged the book.

Oh- and I've watched scenes from Harry Potter when my kids had the DVDs on. I wished I hadn't. Not that it wasn't good- but I had other images in my head- unlike the reality of the movie... :(

Explain to the forum how discovering Gillian Anderson is a post op trans woman (due to your view that she looks masculine in the face), is interesting and not some sort of "crying game" rip off???

You look lost. Conspiracies are up a little bit further and to your right.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Fit for Life...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back