topdon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2002
St. Louis, MO
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
St. Louis Cardinals
The old site was better. This site is clunky to navigate. Its the main reason i don't visit and post anywhere near what i used to.

The old site was better. This site is clunky to navigate. Its the main reason i don't visit and post anywhere near what i used to.
We’ve had about 3 “old sites”. Which was your favourite?

Granted, version 2 of the software that we upgraded to in Jan 2019 has thrown us for a loop.

Reminds me of the complete rewrite of Netscape Navigator... am I right fellas? Remember Netscape?

No?

Anyone?

Rats.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
congrats chief and team, this place is always my go to for footy news and a bit of mischief/laughs but has always had a great sense of community compared to other platforms over the years.

Highlight for me from my 12 years on here was posting a fundraiser I’m incredibly passionate about a few years back and receiving over $600 worth of donations from people on here alone, most of whom I’ve never personally met.

here’s to another 20!

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We’ve had about 3 “old sites”. Which was your favourite?

Granted, version 2 of the software that we upgraded to in Jan 2019 has thrown us for a loop.

Reminds me of the complete rewrite of Netscape Navigator... am I right fellas? Remember Netscape?

No?

Anyone?

Rats.
Whose Mr. Fancy pants? Mosaic was the bomb back in the day. No more Gopher, that new fangled WWW caught on.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I first logged on back in about 2004 as Nobby8. Had to change my username after a few years because of a number of certain deranged morons who would try to taunt me with references to the way Neil Clarke passed away.

I remember how I saw the whole site as a revelation of being able to talk about footy with other fanatics in a way you couldn’t do in real life.

Back then it was the desktop computer with the screeching sound of the modem going online that would alert the ex wife from the other side of the house that I was yet again going on BF and wasting time talking footy with random strangers.

It was a complete boys club back then. I can’t recall any female posters. Which is pretty much the same now but there’s quite a few female posters nowdays here who contribute very well to discussions.

On that note, I wonder how many marriages suffered from too much BF use that affected precious moments with the Mrs watching Friends or Desperate Housewives?

Anyway...years later, now I get bored with the same repeated thread subjects that have been posted over and over through the years.

But at the same time I realise there’s many posters who have only been on it a few months or years and don’t know that their amazing idea for a thread has been done 30 times already.

The Richmond board is the only non EFC board I’ve ever really bothered to visit and read. Thanks to my good mate poster IDGAF who I would check on to read his latest manic rants about the Tigers plight. It has always been Comedy Central on bf imo. Especially back in day when the tortuous tiger faithful would vent their spleen over yet another disappointing game or season. The sarcastic wit by many on that board is hilarious and I’m glad they all finally found joy in footy in recent times.

It’s the other non footy boards that make it still an online destination these days. There’s some quality reading a big variety of subjects and I get a lot of value reading some really fantastic insights into things I’m not an expert on.

There’s been so many classic threads over the years..but hands down the funniest, most raucously hilarious thread I think was when the Hamish Wikipedia thread first started.

Twas gold Jerry, gold.

The Robbo tribute threads on the media board are especially close to my heart. Hours of entertainment. But after a few years I grew bored of highlighting the great ones’s (TGO) mumblings.

All in all it’s a great site now that’s moderated pretty well. As petty as some are sometimes. There’s a lot of stuff from imbeciles that still gets through the net.

But that’s footy.

Big Footy.

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears
congrats chief and team, this place is always my go to for footy news and a bit of mischief/laughs but has always had a great sense of community compared to other platforms over the years.

Highlight for me from my 12 years on here was posting a fundraiser I’m incredibly passionate about a few years back and receiving over $600 worth of donations from people on here alone, most of whom I’ve never personally met.

here’s to another 20!

That's the spirit thing right there. We might all hate each other, but we are all here

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
There could be marriages that have been caused by bigfooty as I think fan meetups do happen, and it is possible people have met up, fallen in love and then have kids together.

What? Can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

I’m talking about the days before mobile and the untold hours wasted sitting in front of desktop screens reading crap and discussing midfield rotations.

You know..neglecting the wifey and not giving enough attention and so on and so forth.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I’m talking about the days before mobile and the untold hours wasted sitting in front of desktop screens reading crap and discussing midfield rotations.

You know..neglecting the wifey and not giving enough attention and so on and so forth.

A woman wanting to discuss midfield rotations would be an instant winner for me :p

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
A woman wanting to discuss midfield rotations would be an instant winner for me
D810415E-DB4B-4997-8084-B24E982FCE3C.jpeg

Yes....such a lass would be quite the catch

Yeh, probably the cause of more divorces than marriages!

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
There’s been so many classic threads over the years..but hands down the funniest, most raucously hilarious thread I think was when the Hamish Wikipedia thread first started.
For me it's the oogac shoops threads, and the player heat maps. Both from a quite few years ago. I still piss myself now just thinking about them.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Already quaffed the champers.

Quaffed. Good word that.

Another thing about BF...it’s improved people’s spelling and pronunciation and got thousands of Australian blokes writing in a way they normally wouldn’t do and learning new words.

You’re vs your a good example too.

Viva bf literature and all round word comprehensive 👌

I reach 20 years in September, my New Years resolution is the pass 10,000 posts before then.

I don't know how people could reach 100,000+ posts. Don't they have a life??

It’s the other non footy boards that make it still an online destination these days. There’s some quality reading a big variety of subjects and I get a lot of value reading some really fantastic insights into things I’m not an expert on.

Rompingwins!!! The KFC Boy thread on Bay 13 is also a classic, and for non-footy the Chrisco one has to be a winner.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Rompingwins!!! The KFC Boy thread on Bay 13 is also a classic, and for non-footy the Chrisco one has to be a winner.

Oh yes indeed...KFC boy..how I could I forget. Legend of a freak..legend of of a thread.

The Chrisco thread I’ve had loads of participation in over the years.

Then after awhile I feel guilty about picking on the mentally challenged folk that make up the Chrisco world...but that never lasts long.

GG exe’s many lively threads in the conspiracy board have been a treat. Love that crazy guy.

There’s good lunatics on bf. Not the troll ing nutcases, but the ones who get discussions going and provide endless links and videos for us lazy posters who can’t be bothered chasing up stuff.

Back