Bigfooty Yid Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why shouldn't this be taken into account when purchasing a player? Two ACLs can take a toll on a player's ability.

His seasons before last (not including the one he missed) were 6 goals, 2 assists, and preceding that, 4 goals, 3 assists. Again, I'm not seeing the value in investing £43-50m.
Even in his highlights compilations, which always cherrypick a player's best moments; I see someone with good ball control for a tall guy, but not too much else. I certainly don't see the same exquisite distribution Kulusevski has, who he's often compared to.

We have a world class front three, and three outstanding backup/rotations for them. I remain confused why the coach is so eager to spend big on a questionable talent, who plays a position we're already well-stocked in.

The last player we bought from Roma was Erik Lamela, who coincidentally was a similar type of player. Despite kicking 15 goals in his last season for Roma, he only produced one good season out of about seven for us, and was injured 70% of the time.

I'll assume you have only watched the "highlights" packages then? I have seen more than enough of the guy to think that there is quite a player there. And yes, of course you take the ACL's into account but you have conveniently only taken that into consideration when using whatever Wiki search you did for Zaniolo's stats and then ridiculously tried to compare him to Lucas Moura who plays a completely different role. Zaniolo is more likely to play behind a front 3 for us than he is out wide and he has versatility that Moura is yet to demonstrate (unless Conte turns Moura into a RWB which is highly unlikely). Completely different players. I spoke to an Italian mate of mine who is a massive follower of both Italian football and Juventus in particular. His opinion is that Zaniolo is the future of Italian football, with the caveat that he gets fit and avoids injury. He was also filthy on me when Bentancur and Kulusevski came across as he never really understood why Juve would let that sort of talent leave.

So I will continue to have faith in Paratici...the guy who took those two Juventus players who were seen at Juve as squad depth and injected them seamlessly into our best XI. He clearly loves Zaniolo and is seemingly happy enough to be around that price point for him too. Yes, it's not cheap but it's hardly sheep stations in today's player market.

Your Erik Lamela comparison is clutching at straws to validate in my opinion, something of an ignorant point of view. I found it hilarious so thanks for the afternoon laugh.:D

I'll assume you have only watched the "highlights" packages then? I have seen more than enough of the guy to think that there is quite a player there. And yes, of course you take the ACL's into account but you have conveniently only taken that into consideration when using whatever Wiki search you did for Zaniolo's stats and then ridiculously tried to compare him to Lucas Moura who plays a completely different role. Zaniolo is more likely to play behind a front 3 for us than he is out wide and he has versatility that Moura is yet to demonstrate (unless Conte turns Moura into a RWB which is highly unlikely). Completely different players. I spoke to an Italian mate of mine who is a massive follower of both Italian football and Juventus in particular. His opinion is that Zaniolo is the future of Italian football, with the caveat that he gets fit and avoids injury. He was also filthy on me when Bentancur and Kulusevski came across as he never really understood why Juve would let that sort of talent leave.

So I will continue to have faith in Paratici...the guy who took those two Juventus players who were seen at Juve as squad depth and injected them seamlessly into our best XI. He clearly loves Zaniolo and is seemingly happy enough to be around that price point for him too. Yes, it's not cheap but it's hardly sheep stations in today's player market.

Your Erik Lamela comparison is clutching at straws to validate in my opinion, something of an ignorant point of view. I found it hilarious so thanks for the afternoon laugh.:D
Yes, my view is based on statistics, highlight packages and the opinions on the Roma fan forums. I haven't actually watched him live, but the Roma fans who do seem to be regularly frustrated with him.

"Zaniolo is more likely to play behind a front 3 for us than he is out wide"
Huh? Come again?
What exactly do you expect the formation to look like with Zaniolo playing behind a front three?

Not sure why the comparison to Lucas triggers you so much. Zaniolo played most of his games last year at right-wing, which is Lucas's natural position. Does it really matter that they're not the exact same type of player? They're still both final third players. Same goes for Lamela, who is the same type of tallish, tricky but not very pacey winger.

The ITKs indicate our interest in Zaniolo is being pushed by Conte more than anyone. The recruiting team identified Maddison as a potential pickup, which would've continued the trend of signing the best players from teams below us (Bissouma, Richarlison), but Conte shut it down and insisted on Zaniolo.

Yes, my view is based on statistics, highlight packages and the opinions on the Roma fan forums. I haven't actually watched him live, but the Roma fans who do seem to be regularly frustrated with him.

"Zaniolo is more likely to play behind a front 3 for us than he is out wide"
Huh? Come again?
What exactly do you expect the formation to look like with Zaniolo playing behind a front three?

Not sure why the comparison to Lucas triggers you so much. Zaniolo played most of his games last year at right-wing, which is Lucas's natural position. Does it really matter that they're not the exact same type of player? They're still both final third players. Same goes for Lamela, who is the same type of tallish, tricky but not very pacey winger.

The ITKs indicate our interest in Zaniolo is being pushed by Conte more than anyone. The recruiting team identified Maddison as a potential pickup, which would've continued the trend of signing the best players from teams below us (Bissouma, Richarlison), but Conte shut it down and insisted on Zaniolo.

He will come in and give Conte options. In Kulusevski, Richarlison and potentially Zaniolo he can be more fluid in his formation as all three are able to play behind a front 2/3 and Richarlison and Zaniolo in particular can even play up front if Kane is unavailable/injured/rested.

The main criticism of the squad is that is has depth in most positions but is not especially versatile. There will be games where Conte is chasing a result and 2 DM's is not going to work. We are also legitimately competing for 4 trophies this season. I don't think Conte wants to tank the domestic cups given this squad so rotation will be key.

And the reason I do not like (triggered is a lazy word in this context) the Lucas comparison is that it isn't a comparison. They are nothing alike in what they offer aside from occasionally occupying the same patch of grass. Moura is all action, great work ethic and has almost no end product. Even a rudimentary 5 minute look at any Roma game will tell you that Zaniolo is much more refined and has a much better end product. He is also 7 years younger with plenty of upside (yes, assumed risk due to ACL history but we will do our due diligence).

There is a reason that Juventus are also interested. There is a reason Conte loves him. Paratici too. Lots of people clearly think the guy is a brilliant talent. Are you going to tell me that they are wrong?

Juve fans also didn't rate Kulu or Rodrigo so Roma fans opinions are for the tip. Think I'll go with Conte's judgement if in fact we even want him.
Pretty sure they did, especially Bentancur. They only sold them because they needed to raise funds to buy Vlahovic.

Maybe.

The impression I've gotten from Juventus fans was that Allegri did a terrible job with him, and that they're fed up with Allegri more than anything.

Yeah, Allegri is roundly disliked by Juve fans these days.

Of my two Italian mates who support Juve, both rated Bentancur but one is a bit indifferent to Kulusevski.

Jeez I think that is a poor take.

The guy has had major injury issues with 2 ACL's I think. Assuming he is fit he will be an excellent acquisition. He was regarded as the best young talent in Italy at one point and has loads of upside.

samDD judging Zaniolo by his goals/assist numbers last season is unfair. He'd missed a full 12 months of football and then some. Judge him on his output prior to that, as a teenager in a tough league.

The guy is a freakish talent. I'd be buying him.
Just don't rate him as being good enough for us, and I do watch Serie A.
The rhetoric was that we chose not to pursue Eriksen because we were after a HG alternative. By all reports Conte has rejected Maddison.

So if we're now after a foreign player then I'd have preferred going after CE23. Who was probably the only good player for United yesterday.

The standards of transfer reporting

So we've accepted Roma's terms but will go away and assess the situation before deciding to make an offer... I.e. We haven't accepted their terms at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just don't rate him as being good enough for us, and I do watch Serie A.
The rhetoric was that we chose not to pursue Eriksen because we were after a HG alternative. By all reports Conte has rejected Maddison.

So if we're now after a foreign player then I'd have preferred going after CE23. Who was probably the only good player for United yesterday.
I agree with that. Would have rathered eriksen on a free. But for whatever reason we didn't go that way. Would rather Zaniolo than nobody

Maybe.

The impression I've gotten from Juventus fans was that Allegri did a terrible job with him, and that they're fed up with Allegri more than anything.
100% of proper Juve fans I know (being a total of 1) rated both - Kulu slightly higher in the long term. Was upset to lose both.

Pretty sure they did, especially Bentancur. They only sold them because they needed to raise funds to buy Vlahovic.
I take your point, guess I was trying to say that if a world class manager like Conte is keen on Zaniolo (debatable whether it's even true) then we try and get it done. Fan forums aren't a great guide, look no further than this one for the differences of opinion on certain players. Love what I've seen of Udogie albeit it hasn't been much. Exciting signing for the future. It's clear that we are targeting physical beasts across the board. Zaniolo to me, fits the bill notwithstanding the dodgy knee injuries. A loan with an option to buy sounds like good business. Hope we get him.

Oh boy are we from different backgrounds or what.

I’m on the Fighting utensil and those guys are relentlessly mocked.
I'm on none of them because none of those supporter forums can handle hot takes. I remember getting banned from one for saying there's no way Joshua Onomah should be in our squad.

But lets face it, if those guys got things wrong regularly, they wouldn't be getting nearly as much attention as they do.

I'm on none of them because none of those supporter forums can handle hot takes. I remember getting banned from one for saying there's no way Joshua Onomah should be in our squad.

But lets face it, if those guys got things wrong regularly, they wouldn't be getting nearly as much attention as they do.

One of few to be given tier 1 by this account that posts all the itk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back