Bigfooty Yid Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha Doctor Gero I was just thinking; it's not often I so strongly disagree with you. This feels a bit strange.
I am very uneasy with Poch's trust in youth.
I'm aware that Winks has made the step up and Dele you could class as youth also when he started. Bentaleb, Mason, Carroll all got chances and failed but it didn't affect the team. I'm just uneasy with him being so confident in them as to rely on them. I do not think KWP was good enough yesterday and do not think that's the correct position to hold.

More broadly I do not want him as RWB back up for the season and if he plans on using Onomah in AM/W roles then loan him. He won't make the grade at this club unless he's an 8. He's a CM but Poch doesn't use him there. Strange.

For every Mason and Carroll (not counting Bentaleb he has done well after leaving and was a bust up situation) there's a Harry Kane, Luke Shaw, Ward-Prowse etc. that he has trusted who has done well.

If he trusts KWP or CCV to play a role this season there's a good chance at least one of the two will repay the faith

Typical quiet transfer window. Barkley? Kovacic? These seem to be the only two that have any teeth. And nothing definite about a Walker replacemant.

JtjN7SD.jpg

Funny but sad at the same time.

I'm more than happy to go in to next season with the same first 13 or 14 starters - but I will be flaming well pissed if we don't add more depth. It's great bringing kids through - but they are not ready to play a run of games if one of our starters is out medium-long term. For me, we need another CB (unless Poch now believes in Wimmer) an attacking mid and a striker to back Kane up (Jenssen has had his chance for me now). We probably need a back up to Trippier if you go on the pre season performances of KWP.

Unfortunately this could look like yet another case of us shooting ourselves in the foot. If we go backwards this season because we didn't invest in at least a couple of signings then Levy and the board may be on the receiving end of some fan wrath

As long as the board and Poch are buying into the same ideas I'm behind it. If they're not and there disconnect there it'll piss me off.

If Poch joined us wanting to not spend and bring through kids we've got to trust his judgement.

Just on that when we have bought players our success rate is quite poor anyway unless it's undervalued talent like Toby and Wanyama.

Fazio - spud
Stambouli - average
Janssen - average
Sissoko - poor
NKoudou - tbc
Wimmer - tbc
Davies - good
NJie - poor
Son - very good after a slow start

Just two good signings out of 9 since Poch joined.

It starts to get better when it's cheap young options like Trippier, Dier and Alli.

If Poch thinks 2/9 isn't a great success rate over 10m or over 26 years of age and wants to go with Winks, CCV, Onomah etc. then it's not that big a deal.

Is Georgiou from the youth side really going to be that much worse than Sissoko as our 3rd or 4th choice winger?

Is Onomah going to be that much worse than Stambouli was? Or CCV to Fazio?

As long as the board and Poch are buying into the same ideas I'm behind it. If they're not and there disconnect there it'll piss me off.

If Poch joined us wanting to not spend and bring through kids we've got to trust his judgement.

Just on that when we have bought players our success rate is quite poor anyway unless it's undervalued talent like Toby and Wanyama.

Fazio - spud
Stambouli - average
Janssen - average
Sissoko - poor
NKoudou - tbc
Wimmer - tbc
Davies - good
NJie - poor
Son - very good after a slow start

Just two good signings out of 9 since Poch joined.

It starts to get better when it's cheap young options like Trippier, Dier and Alli.

If Poch thinks 2/9 isn't a great success rate over 10m or over 26 years of age and wants to go with Winks, CCV, Onomah etc. then it's not that big a deal.

Is Georgiou from the youth side really going to be that much worse than Sissoko as our 3rd or 4th choice winger?

Is Onomah going to be that much worse than Stambouli was? Or CCV to Fazio?
2 out of 9?

Why aren't you including Trippier, Toby, Wanyama, Dele, Vorm and Dier in that?

2 out of 9?

Why aren't you including Trippier, Toby, Wanyama, Dele, Vorm and Dier in that?
They were either cheap young English talents or underpriced proven PL players.

They're pretty safe bets each of them imo. Especially compared to either the underpriced foreigner (Stambouli) or cheap French talent (NJie).

Unfortunately there aren't many/any around in the category that we hit out of the park. Someone like Harry Maguire who isn't half as good as Toby just went for £17m

They were either cheap young English talents or underpriced proven PL players.

They're pretty safe bets each of them imo. Especially compared to either the underpriced foreigner (Stambouli) or cheap French talent (NJie).

Unfortunately there aren't many/any around in the category that we hit out of the park. Someone like Harry Maguire who isn't half as good as Toby just went for £17m
I kind of see your point, but it's unfair to not include them in a list of successful transfers. 2 from 9 isn't really true when these are considered. Don't get me wronmg, I actually agree with you OP. I have no issue if the likes of KWP and Onomah play much greater roles. They're definitely talented enough and both have had good international tournaments followed by a solid pre-season.

I kind of see your point, but it's unfair to not include them in a list of successful transfers. 2 from 9 isn't really true when these are considered. Don't get me wronmg, I actually agree with you OP. I have no issue if the likes of KWP and Onomah play much greater roles. They're definitely talented enough and both have had good international tournaments followed by a solid pre-season.
Overall with them included that 2/9 becomes 8/15 but it's about the degrees of risk on those purchases.

6 of the 15 seemed safe and they turned out success. 9 of the 15 were risky and only 2 paid off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm why not just omit Son and Davies and call it 0/7 lol
Son & Davies were risks when they were signed. The other 6 I left out weren't. Should have grouped them that way from the start.

Risky signings since Poch arrived = 2/9
Safe signings since Poch arrived = 6/6

It's not just since Poch joined btw. Look back at the magnificent 7 only 2 of those risky signings paid off. And compare that back to when we signed Scotty Parker who was an unassuming safe option.

Our problem this window is the safe option that we know is going to improve us is no longer get-table for reasonable fees. Guys like Demari Gray and Ross Barkley are being linked for 20m and 30m respectively. This is two guys that aren't in the first team plans at clubs who are on a lesser standing to us. Heck even relegated players like Maguire are going for more than anyone in our whole back 4!

Thinking KWP will stay even if we do sign a right back. Not a bad kid to have around the squad considering he can play LB and RW too. May as well keep him until January. Hopefully he can find his way in the league cup and Fa cup

To think there is a page on here where Cruyffy tries to convince us to read his autobiography :p

The man is pure scum and no tear will be shed the day he does in fact die.
I buy interesting sporting characters autobiographies regularly, but yeah, I would not buy someone like his. The sellout doesn't deserve my donation.

I'd definitely be interested in someone like JTs though.

Son & Davies were risks when they were signed. The other 6 I left out weren't. Should have grouped them that way from the start.

Risky signings since Poch arrived = 2/9
Safe signings since Poch arrived = 6/6

It's not just since Poch joined btw. Look back at the magnificent 7 only 2 of those risky signings paid off. And compare that back to when we signed Scotty Parker who was an unassuming safe option.

Our problem this window is the safe option that we know is going to improve us is no longer get-table for reasonable fees. Guys like Demari Gray and Ross Barkley are being linked for 20m and 30m respectively. This is two guys that aren't in the first team plans at clubs who are on a lesser standing to us. Heck even relegated players like Maguire are going for more than anyone in our whole back 4!
With respect, this "safe" and "risky" signing thing of yours isn't making too much sense. While there are certainly signings that are more riskier or of a more unknown quantity than others, it doesn't mean that the less risky ones are certain to pay off. Plenty of times a player has flopped at a club unexpectedly. Besides I still can't fathom why you don't regard Dier and Alli as "risks". Ok they were cheap but neither had ever played in the premier league before. Poch took the plunge when others clearly stalled

With respect, this "safe" and "risky" signing thing of yours isn't making too much sense. While there are certainly signings that are more riskier or of a more unknown quantity than others, it doesn't mean that the less risky ones are certain to pay off. Plenty of times a player has flopped at a club unexpectedly. Besides I still can't fathom why you don't regard Dier and Alli as "risks". Ok they were cheap but neither had ever played in the premier league before. Poch took the plunge when others clearly stalled
Dier came with massive wraps on him and from his debut game at west ham I could tell he was going to be a good player so that was safe.

Alli was a free hit and in pre season proved he'd be a massive hit which he ended up being.

All those other ones I said were risky either took a year to come good or never did. We can't afford to go down that route anymore and I don't think we are. Think it'll be one or maximum two signings and they definitely both won't be unknown quantities that's for sure

Poch' s transfer business thus far has been hit or miss that's for sure. Probably his worst attribute since he's come to the club. However he has brought five exceptional players to the club (Alli, Dier, Wanyama, Alderweireld & Son) whilst overseeing tremendous improvement in Rose and Walker. Of course the cherry on the cake has been Kane, who he can also take credit for. I trust him to make the right calls

There's quite a large disparity between his hits and misses though. Probably the only one somewhere in the middle is Davies. Trippier is probably going to end up a big hit also now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back