Bigger Picture

Remove this Banner Ad

della said:
we played them at skilled last year and they had there whole backline out, we can beat them i beleive but it will take one almight effort.

playfair at chf will not win us a flag, we only overran them cause of the injuries, ******** anyside would of overun them.

I am not putting our guys down but i just think we lack a key forward who can take a grab.

Tenace better start pulling his finger out cause i think he is our wildcard come september but at the moment isnt showing enough for such a high pick.

Also why the hell D.Johnson was picked has got me stuffed, would of left callan in.

also saw Graham in the rooms after the game, what a joke, i wouldn't let that bloke anywhere near our rooms again, most over paid player in the history of thev game and he walks out on us when we neede him most, hope he breaks his leg whilst in the states

Agree 100%

della said:
i never rated Benny and feel his career was a waste, would of loved him to saty cause he would of taken a good defender still which would of freed up Kinsley, ottens and Henry.

Anyone who feels Benny did a good job at Geelong has got rocks in there heads, he never stood up in the big games abit like mensch oh except against the Tigers, anyway enough on benny i am sick of him.

Anyone know how our uncontracted players r shaping up, heard that they r having troubl with Kelly at the moment as a few clubs esp Ess r sniffing around, we do have alot of players out at seasons end.

Lets hope they stay loyal and don't chase the bigger $

Ben Graham spent most of his career at Geelong in the back line. At times he was the only shining light in a mid range team that struggled much of the time.
While I think he's missed an opportunity to play in a potential premiership club I can't blame him for giving his, and his family's, future financial security priority.
He deserves more respect than this.

Turbocat said:
Just to add, from todays Addy
Gerard Whateley said this ..

Geelong is the unfashionable collection of mid-range draft picks - the curse for clubs that delve into mediocrity but refuse to disintergrate
StKilda represents the glamour of high draft picks,the fruits of dysfunction..

excactly Priority picks = Disintergration & dysfuction, giving up when you dont have the talent to win easy

Couple of long range predictions.
Salary cap to become a bit of a problem for the Saints in a couple of years.
And....
For those whose memories extend back to the early 90s....
Cast Geelong on the mould of the weagles and St Kilda as the Geelong equivalent. Who always won come GF day? I can see the Cats becoming an irritating nemesis for the Saints.

phk_71 said:
Have to agree about Robert Walls - he always seems to put a spin on things that just plain annoys me, even if it's not chipping away at a great Geelong win.

Anyway, I think our best team lined up against the Saints best would just be too close to call come September. We've got the defensive firepower to match their forward setup, good runners to match up against theirs, an edge in the ruck and enough forward-line options to keep their backline accountable. Hey, who knows?

You seem to forget there were some Geelong biased commentators on that game.

Frickin tools who ruined it for half the people watching at home.

When the Saints were leading, it was they should be further ahead than they are. Never mind that Geelong were the favourites for that game.

When the Cats were leading we had to hear about how wonderful they were playing, never mind that they were the ones with the full bench.

You guys are sore winners. Apparently, yes, there is such a thing. :eek:

Bellablaise said:

Dont worry about us, just make sure all those players dont heal in time for the next game you lose. Heaven forbid if you didnt have an excuse to why you didnt win. You sore loser.

nananana catman said:
Dont worry about us, just make sure all those players dont heal in time for the next game you lose. Heaven forbid if you didnt have an excuse to why you didnt win. You sore loser.

I am not a sore loser. I was among the first to congratulate you guys on winning. You were the best on the day. You got the four points. Well done.

But to think you can beat us when we are at full strength is lunacy.

Bellablaise said:

When the Saints were leading, it was they should be further ahead than they are. Never mind that Geelong were the favourites for that game.

When the Cats were leading we had to hear about how wonderful they were playing, never mind that they were the ones with the full bench.

music-smiley-021.gif

Bellablaise said:

I distinctly remember the commentators discussing in the third quarter, or thereabouts, how losing Harvey and Jones would cost the Saints 2 goals.

WestCat said:
I distinctly remember the commentators discussing in the third quarter, or thereabouts, how losing Harvey and Jones would cost the Saints 2 goals.

:confused: Which it would have.

That isn't bias, it's common sense! :)

Bellablaise said:
But to think you can beat us when we are at full strength is lunacy.

WELL excuse us for just being lunatics.

Define Full strength.
Is Full strength all of your players available to play?
I would say there is rarely a Flag won without a player that on paper is missing from the best 22.Even if there on the field , they might not be full fit , just like Johnathon Brown last year.People forget that, with him being fit I have no doubt its 4 in a row for the Lions.

Look , yes you could have had a "paper" stronger side , but we also have players missing from our best 22.You had players not at their best , so did we... in the end you roll up with what you have. Do people remember that we didnt have Stoneham in those GF's NO.Before wrecking his leg he was in the best 3 CHF in league but it matters not a jot. There are always injuries before the day and on the day- its sport it happens, the best paper side doesnt always win neither does the prettiest. Do you know the story of the ugly horse "Seabiscuit" and the super fast beauty of a horse "War Admiral" - Looks and paper have nothing to do with who comes across the finishing line first.

then appointed a bloke who didn't want to to coach to be coach

If you are talking about Blighty he was pushed. And I am sh*t glad for one because with St Kildas list they would be F***ING INSANE. Grant Thomas is cr@p.

St Kilda are nutty and I believe (as I started another thread about - aptly titled as to kill the number one answer back ;) ) that in future the priority pick system should go

1, 17, 18. Not 1, 4 or 1, 3 or 1, 5. That is just asking clubs who are out of it to lose.

The Saints are good, and their best players are better than our best. But our overall team is more balanced and we have more choices for matchups than St Kilda. St Kilda will not play their best 22 often:
Kozi will go through his career under achieving because of injury.
Harvey is almost gone. He has alway admited that it is a good work rate not raw talent that has seen him become a superstar. He will find it harder and harder to stay on the track. No disrespect to him though he just cant play forever.
Hamil is in the same boat. Bash and crash player which always makes it hard to stay on the track. Lets not forget he has a lot of injury concerns. Hasnt played much consistant football since 2003. That is a long time on football.
G-Train is fine now but not getting any younger.

The other thing as as players go down, the better players have to spend more time being the focus. More balls go to St Nick, Dal Santo, Ball, Lenny all have to spend more time in the middle. Also they get more attention from opposition as they know, shut down these players and the team is over. This increases the risk of them getting injured.

St Kilda have a slightly shorter window than the Cats. They have the right mix of talent, youth and experience as well as KPP to tag the main prize. Problem is keeping it all on the track at once and doing it before injury and age finally catch up with Hamil, Harvey and G-Train.

Geelong has youth on its side. Of our main team only Milburn, Ricco and Sando are approaching real age. For Ricco and Sando it is almost over but at the moment Milburn is looking fine. King and Ottens are concerns as is Dog Johnson who is in the same boat as Kosi I think, may never live up to the hype.

The Cats have an edge of the Saints in recent times and are one of the few teams who are not intimidated in the slightest. What the saints fans saw on the weekend was about as bad as we play, the umpires were disgraceful, we lost a major play maker (in not only our team but the AFL, in the third quarter) but still toughed it out for 2-3 quarters then steamrolled you. That is the difference, we toughed it out through our bad patch and game through with the win. You guys have a habit when it isn’t going your way of capitulating completely. Brisbane last 2 times, Geelong last 2….it is becoming an unhealthy trend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back