Biggest AFL Scandals of the last 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like cousins was pretty huge there for a while.

Ricky Nixon and the school girl was huge.
The self destruction of a champion in Cousins was huge. Nixon was big for a while but probably not top 10

What about Jason Akermanis being sacked (or his contract termination) by the Western Bulldogs in July 2010?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

- In the early 1960's Ted Whitten woke up in middle of the night, started to get dressed, then his wife switched on the beside lamp and asked; "Where are you going and what's the $20 you left here for?". Ted forgot he was at home...

Calling BS on that. 1 - if it was early 60's then it would have been pounds, and 2 - as if a story like that would have ever left the house

- 1910. Two Carlton players accepting bribes to throw games. Both were suspended for 99 matches.

Hard to think of anything bigger than that.
Essendon trainer/ coach dabbled in PED 1891/92/93 flags should be stripped

Calling BS on that. 1 - if it was early 60's then it would have been pounds, and 2 - as if a story like that would have ever left the house
And Jack Dyer turning up drunk to play games in the 50s might be a bridge to far

Good catch. Let's call the whole post BS then

Suggest some of you do a bit of reading. Dyer was basically a functioning alcoholic during his playing days and Mr football was a known womanizer with a girl in every port they say.

There was a lot that went on with players back in the days before mobile phones and social media were invented that would front page news today.

I just thought I'd share a few of the more quirky ones that aren't common knowledge...

But nothing...absolutely nothing compares to the shock and awe dumbfounding revelation when the news broke of that infamous party where it was revealed that King Carey had ruined the very fabric of his club by doing what he did with Kelly Stevens.

The Essendon thing was bigger...but never has one player, a legend of the game and an immortal of his time...singlehandedly destroyed everything around his club.
Ruined us so badly, absolutely destroyed us so hard, that we won the very next game we played.

NOTHING will ever compare to Essendon's drug cheating shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggest some of you do a bit of reading. Dyer was basically a functioning alcoholic during his playing days and Mr football was a known womanizer with a girl in every port they say.

There was a lot that went on with players back in the days before mobile phones and social media were invented that would front page news today.

I just thought I'd share a few of the more quirky ones that aren't common knowledge...

Sure. My family knew Ted well. A known cocksman. Nothing new here. As for Dyer... dunno. But Dyer retired in 49 and there was no way Ted left $20 anywhere in the early 60's, unless it was $US.

If you are going to tell a story at least get the basics right.

nah mate just quoting a fact, he may have done that in the 30s and 40s but certainly not in the 50s

I'm not disagreeing - I was agreeing. I grew up around all sorts of football royalty - on both sides of my family. I have an uncle that played in three premierships. I know how fallible these people are. Most of them would have struggled to hold a job as a garbo except they knew how to look good on the field. My only issue is the people here that post stuff about footballers that they didnt see and have never met. Somehow a bloke gets pissed at a party and it turns into how he banged 3 girls, stole a cop car and set fire to a dog. Urban myths, like footnotes, need to be squashed where they are found.

Now if we were ever having a quiet beer I could tell you some seriously weird and funny stuff that went on pre AFL days... or pre professionalism... but not here

You think what happened to Goodes is fairly low level?
What happened to Goodes would have been low level if it was water off a ducks back to him like it (booing) is to the majority of professional sports persons.

Cameron Smith copped the same tall poppy driven booing this year.

If it did not hurt Goodes feelings followed by others trying to inject race into it to then it would not have got to the level it did.

- In the early 1960's Ted Whitten woke up in middle of the night, started to get dressed, then his wife switched on the beside lamp and asked; "Where are you going and what's the $20 you left here for?". Ted forgot he was at home...
I call bullshit on this one, I've heard the same story (not with Whitten though) as a joke many times.

I'm not disagreeing - I was agreeing. I grew up around all sorts of football royalty - on both sides of my family. I have an uncle that played in three premierships. I know how fallible these people are. Most of them would have struggled to hold a job as a garbo except they knew how to look good on the field. My only issue is the people here that post stuff about footballers that they didnt see and have never met. Somehow a bloke gets pissed at a party and it turns into how he banged 3 girls, stole a cop car and set fire to a dog. Urban myths, like footnotes, need to be squashed where they are found.

Now if we were ever having a quiet beer I could tell you some seriously weird and funny stuff that went on pre AFL days... or pre professionalism... but not here

Only passing on some stories my late father told me.
My grandfather also told me that around the late 1920's and early 30's the Mayblooms/Hawks were so non-competitive that when they were playing some of the top teams, after half time 5 or 6 of the opposition players would simply go home or to the races and the rest of the match would be played by their reserves and/or even sometimes their trainers...

Last edited:
Gill lying to the Senate about his AuPair... nobody could prove he was lying, but his voice and his eyes said he was, and his story was not plausible.

Only passing on some stories my late father told me.
My grandfather also told me that around the late 1920's and early 30's the Mayblooms/Hawks were so non-competitive that when they were playing some the top teams, after half time 5 or 6 of the opposition players would go home or to the races and the rest of the match would be played by their reserves and/or even sometimes their trainers...

Gambling and match fixing was rife in the first half of the 20th C.

I think the Carlton team threw a grand final around 1910 and got busted. Similar to the Black Sox story in baseball.

What happened to Goodes would have been low level if it was water off a ducks back to him like it (booing) is to the majority of professional sports persons.

Cameron Smith copped the same tall poppy driven booing this year.

If it did not hurt Goodes feelings followed by others trying to inject race into it to then it would not have got to the level it did.
I love how it's the fault of the person on the receiving end of the negative behaviour

Ruined us so badly, absolutely destroyed us so hard, that we won the very next game we played.

NOTHING will ever compare to Essendon's drug cheating shame.
Nah we won our next game to so had zero impact on us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back