Biggest AFL Scandals of the last 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon moving to Fremantle isn't a scandal. Lance Franklin moving to Sydney isn't a scandal. Brendan Fevola losing his contract isn't a scandal.

I would have thought Jobe being stripped of the Brownlow would rate a mention.

Addenum to the drug cheating.

Last edited:
Win a final mate, then talk to supporters of big clubs.
Oh you remember I exist. Can't wait for that pre match beer next season. Where do you want to meet?

I love how it's the fault of the person on the receiving end of the negative behaviour
People get booed in different sports all throughout the world. Goodes could not hack it and the inflammatory comments of others close to him helped blow the thing up into a scandal.

How many other people on sports have truly cracked the shits about or had it known publicly that they hated being booed?

If Goodes does not care about the booing and *******s like Pridham do not make their inflammatory statements about it, then it does not blow up to the point it got to.

People get booed in different sports all throughout the world. Goodes could not hack it and the inflammatory comments of others close to him helped blow the thing up into a scandal.

How many other people on sports have truly cracked the shits about or had it known publicly that they hated being booed?

If Goodes does not care about the booing and *******s like Pridham do not make their inflammatory statements about it, then it does not blow up to the point it got to.
Again, blaming the victim.

Plenty of people don't like getting booed, it's one of the reasons people do it.

It was a classic example of mob mentality and the lack of compassion your average human displays quite often. Also the complete denial of the fact that racism is still alive and kicking and we've got a long way to go as a society in this country when it comes to dealing with that.

I haven't gone through the full thread but can Chief or one of the other mods list the top 10 most popular (viewed and posted) threads on BF (relating to AFL). I imagine the EFC drugs scandal would easily be #1. Suspect Goodes would also be up there.

Along with Walker's hat and Richo's chicken.

OK then, if we are dropping the 'past 10 year rule', here are few from quirky ones from my dad's era and one from mine that are not widely known:

- In the early 1940's Jack Dyer and few of his team mates would often arrive to play games drunk.

- In the early 1960's Ted Whitten woke up in middle of the night, started to get dressed, then his wife switched on the beside lamp and asked; "Where are you going and what's the 20 pounds you left here for?". Ted forgot he was at home...

- John Nicholls, his brothers and associates were well known figures in Melbourne's underworld community in the 1950's and 60's.

- 1991. Robert Walls, Brisbane Bears coach, ordered the bashing of one his players, Shane Strempel at a training session. Walls said Strempel "needed to be taught a lesson". The bizarre training session only ended when another player said they should stop, or Strempel might be killed.

If the Ted one is true, that’s a classic I’ve never heard of before. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s a non fiction story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't gone through the full thread but can Chief or one of the other mods list the top 10 most popular (viewed and posted) threads on BF (relating to AFL). I imagine the EFC drugs scandal would easily be #1. Suspect Goodes would also be up there.

Along with Walker's hat and Richo's chicken.

‘Sneaking into the grand final’ thread takes top spot ...followed by the Hamish McGloogan interwebs Classic and the biggest of the Joel Selwood ducking threads.

According to the Herald Sun, these scandals made the top 10 list of the past 10 years:

1. Essendon drugs suspensions
2. Murder of Crows coach Phil Walsh
3. John McCarthy dies in Las Vegas
4. AFL drugs bans
5. Melbourne tanking scandal
6. Adam Goodes booed
7. Ross Lyon moves to Fremantle
8. Lance Franklin signs with Sydney for 10 years
9. Lachie Whitfield suspension
10. Brendan Fevola sacked by Brisbane Lions

Which other AFL scandal of the past 10 years do you think should have made it on to the list done by the Herald Sun?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Fk off Robbo....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back