Analysis Biggest Boom and Bust players - past or present

Remove this Banner Ad

Booms
Tyson Edwards (1995 Pre-season draft)
Peter Vardy (1995 Pre-season draft)
Simon Goodwin (1996 Pre-season draft)
Ken McGregor (150 games from 1998 pick 75)
Michael Doughty (1999 Rookie draft)
Graham Johncock (200 games from 2000 pick 67)
Nathan Bock (2002 Rookie draft)
Ben Rutten (2002 Rookie draft)
Taylor Walker (opportunistic use of the NSW Scholarship Scheme)
Rory Sloan (2008 pick 44)
Sam Jacobs (traded for a packet of chips)
Tom Lynch (trade for pick 37, received from Richmond for Ivan Maric)
Josh Jenkins (traded for a 10 spot downgrade 31->41)
Rory Laird (2011 rookie draft)
Rory Atkins (2012 pick 81)
Kyle Hartigan (2013 rookie draft)
Charlie Cameron (2014 rookie draft)
Mitch McGovern (2014 pick 43)
Hugh Greenwood (Cat B 2015)

Busts
Brent Williams (1995 1st Rounder)
Tom Gilligan (1996 1st Rounder)
Laurence Angwin (2000 1st rounder)
Ryan Fitzgerald (Injury destroyed potential)
Wayne Carey (Injury resulted in gamble not paying off)
Fergus Watts (2003 1st rounder)
John Meesen (2004 1st rounder)
Darren Pfeiffer (2005 1st round pick received for Fergus Watts)
James Sellar (2006 1st rounder)
Phil Davis (2008 1st rounder, poached by expansion club)
Richard Tambling (2010 trade, never really given a shot)
Nick Joyce (could not make the transition from mascot to player)
Jake Lever (trade home before fulfilling his potential)
Dean Gore
Sam Kerridge/Troy Menzel (Kerridge was a end of first round priority, bundled with pick 28 for Menzel)

Thinking about this I thought about rating our first draft picks. But instead of thinking of those who we missed who everyone did - eg Robbie Gray at 55 or Sloane at 44 I thought by just looking at the next 7 picks as that is probably a good indication of where the players around who we picked were rated.

2004 - Meesen a bust, and there was some talent we missed
2005 - Douglas a great pick, Pfeiffer a bust but other than Dempsey, no big loss
2006 - Sellar crap, but other than Grigg not like we overlooked champions
2007 - Danger was a good pick
2008 - If we had taken Lynch think of all the time we could have saved!
2009 - I'm keeping Talia, but pick 20 goes alright
2010 - I'm happy with Smithers
2011 - Kerridge not as good as we hoped, but who else? Yeo?
2012 - Siggins came to nothing, but neither did anyone - and we at least got RAt
2013 - Crouch big tick.

All in all, even when we picked duds, we didn't really do much worse than other teams with picks near us.

Draft picks.png

Last edited:
Boom - MCrouch. No fan/media was hyping up his elite status until literally the last few games of the year where he essentially dominated for the entire year. To win an All Australian award, to be the prime reason why his team reached minor Premiers, and to do it all under the radar of essentially 99% of the football world, MCrouch is one of our biggest booms ever!

Bust - top pick players who didn't play or minimally played AFL: Meesen, Angwin, Sellar
- looks like huge potential but never got to string continuity of games: Petrenko, Grigg

Past Players Bust:
1. Angwin
2. Meesen
3. Watts

Past Players Boom:
1. McLeod
2. Rutten
3. Edwards

Too early to say which of our 1st rounders will be a bust of our current players, but Laird is the biggest boom imo.

Adelaide media went bananas over mcleod from the very first sanfl game. everyone knew he speaciallllllll (in my best macavaney voice) Freo coach did the right thing by him, could of left him in the draft where we would of had to trade massively for the first pic after freo. Could never be a boom player.

This our best ever boom player and probably our biggest bust as well. Should never of been traded but the coaches ego had to be biggest name in town.

Not a bust as such, but in the the "I thought he'd be great but wasn't and I still can't believe he only played 33 games" category:
Mark Viska

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest bust is Adam Saliba.
Not sure why Saliba had all this hype to be honest. He played 3 games and kicked 2 goals before walking away from the game. Just looked up his stats and he was 176cm tall and weighed 91kg!
Apart from being overweight with no motivation to play AFL football, his potential superstar rating is an urban myth

The 2015 trading period provided a bust as far as the Dangerfield trade was concerned. Menzel and Gore were the result of that trade as well as Milera for the loss of Dangerfield, Kerridge and pick 28.

Ok with Menzel we took a gamble. It was well known he had issues with fitness. Not all his own fault but we definitely with hindsight over valued his capabilities. A very good SANFL player but never able to take the next step. (Was traded for Kerridge and pick 28. Both of these players are still on an AFL list.)

Dean Gore on the other hand proved to be inadequate even at SANFL level. An absolute bust who never pushed for selection as far as I’m aware in his 2 years at the club. Geelong assured us he was a future AFL player after 1 season in their reserves. I think in his case we have reason to question their integrity.

Last edited:
Not sure why Saliba had all this hype to be honest. He played 3 games and kicked 2 goals before walking away from the game. Just looked up his stats and he was 176cm tall and weighed 91kg!
Apart from being overweight with no motivation to play AFL football, his potential superstar rating is an urban myth
Did you watch his games? Including the one where Bruce said " A star is born".
He was the next A Jarman.

Didn't we take blinky bill (McGregor) over Pav? If so biggest bust

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Didn't we take blinky bill (McGregor) over Pav? If so biggest bust

150 games from a pick 75 crapshoot - one of our biggest booms.
All 16 clubs overlooked Pav that season, we did alright, could have been the steal of the century but McGregor appeared a bit more advanced at that stage.

I don't care if he played 150 games.. No way is he a boom we overlooked Pav and McGregor was largely crap and a watermark of the mediocrity we endured over those years...

The hype came from his time playing at north Adelaide

Had great vision and clean hands; excellent foot skills

Reminded a lot of Andrew Jarman

His superstar potential was no myth nor was his waistline

Does anyone know who the 17 year olds drafted in ‘98 were? Went looking for a list and found an article about Brown who could have gone somewhere other than Brisbane the year after. McGregor gets judged as we were the team most interested in Pav at the time from memory.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/063a5dcea4a298f460f1e02ffddd7d11

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fevola
Adam Morgan tee hee
Luke Power
McGregor

A good chunk of the first round if I remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back