Sports Biggest brain snap in sports

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst one I've seen was 1996 Hopman Cup tennis final, Switzerland v Croatia. It's a team competition - one man and a woman, best of 3 matches (one singles each and a mixed doubles). Hingis beat Majoli in their singles, and Ivanisevic beat Rosset in the mens so it was 1-1 coming into the last match. In the 3rd set, the Swiss were up a break and Marc Rosset was serving for the match at 5-4 and 40-0: three championship points.

Unfortunately Marc then serves 2 or 3 double faults and the Croats get back to deuce. Okay, not great but still a big advantage. It's mixed doubles and Marc is a big server.

Marc then decides to take out his frustration by punching the advertising boards at the back of the court. Breaks his racquet hand and the Swiss team has to forfeit.

not a violent one, but the matt dunning drop goal always cracks me up.

waratahs need to win v the chiefs with a bonus point (4 trys) to scrape into the super 12 playoffs about 10 years ago. a win without a bonus point isn't good enough.

15 minutes to go and they've knocked off 2 tries, have the lead 17-14 and are in a good field position about 30 metres out to knock off the third try. ref calls advantage NSW, and the big prop matt dunning has a field goal shot assuming he has no chance of making it, but in a true display of how s**t new south wales rugby has been for the last 15 years, he nails the field goal that he meant to miss, even though he probably had a 1 in 20 chance of actually kicking it.

what would've been one of the finest moments on a rugby field for the worlds collections of props has instead made dunning into the posterboy for the stereotype that props shouldn't think too hard when on the footy field.

NSW score one more try, win the game, and miss the finals on for and against after finishing equal with brumbies on 31 points.
Reminds me of a rugby league match in the early 90s between Canterbury and Newcastle. Newcastle is up 12-10 in the final minutes and Terry Lamb kicks a drop goal and starts celebrating because he thinks he's tied it up. Was pretty funny to see his teammates give him the bad news.

Allan Donald forgetting to run on the last ball of the 1999 World Cup semi final against Australia

Brad Haddins dismissal when Australia got routed for 27 (or whatever it was) recently in SA was pretty bad.

Brad Haddins dismissal when Australia got routed for 27 (or whatever it was) recently in SA was pretty bad.
Good one. I maintain that was the most irresponsible dismissal I've seen in my 25ish years watching cricket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ty-kick.jpg

Allan Donald forgetting to run on the last ball of the 1999 World Cup semi final against Australia
Bit of a myth probably due to the 12th man, that debacle if anything was mostly Klusener's fault, it was only the 4th ball of the over, iirc Donald was ball watching but it was a pretty risky run regardless and Klusener just kept coming without thinking if Donald actually knew what he was doing. Massive panic and choke.

Not really a violent outburst, but Tony Romo fumbling the snap in the 2007 NFL Playoffs Wildcard game was one of the biggest blunders I've ever seen.

Dallas had a field goal kick from 19 yards out with a minute left to win the game. All Romo, the star Quarterback had to do was catch a ball from the scrimmage, something he's done 100s of times before, and place the ball on the ground for the kicker to score. He does that, and they win the playoff game and advance to the Divison round. Instead, he fumbles the ball, doesn't place it, and the kicker can't take the kick. He tried to run the ball instead to make up for his mistake, got tackled 2 yards out from the endzone. Turnover, game over.

He was smashed in the media for weeks afterwards, and it's still a blight on him to this day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back