Biggest commentary bugbears?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player X dumps a player after disposing of the ball commentators talk about dangerous tackles etc.
Shane Mumford does the same thing commentators laugh and joke about it.
“That’s Mummy”
This has been driving me nuts for years the double-standards with Mumford. It's like they go back in time to 1985 mindset whenever he's involved in such an incident.

JB and Howard and their totally out of context and overuse of the word ‘nice’ (nice player, nice game, nice goal, nice hairstyle etc etc), it’s weird. Nice is how you describe a biscuit or a cake. Is it a MMM thing?

Bruce. Just Bruce. The 2020 version just gets more bizarre/creepy every year. Not only the questions, it’s the overexcited puppy style of commentary where he rises and rises and you think he’s going to pee himself.

You mean "the" GWS

or "the" West Coast.

Also re "the football club" - this is an annoying thing they have taken from soccer. It has crept in over the past decade with the rise in the number of pundits trying to sound as if they know it all. As if we would confuse Chelsea Football Club with the Chelsea Chess Club or the local Stringfellows during a Premier League game!

'Footy club' has become very annoying. There's nothing terribly wrong with the term itself, but its overuse is very aggravating when you notice it. JB has been the main culprit, but it has now spread to the likes of Garry Lyon, Howie, Richo and others. Every couple of minutes it's 'Geelong footy club', 'St. Kilda footy club'. Thanks for clarifying that you're not talking about the Geelong City Council or the St. Kilda Festival.

Listened to JB on MMM yesterday and thought he was brilliant. Very different to the Channel 7 act. I don't know if Seven tell them to be bland or they feel like they have to be, but free to air TV commentary generally sucks. Obviously you can get away with a bit more on radio, but does free to air commentary have to be so dull and boring, lacking proper analysis?

'Footy club' has become very annoying. There's nothing terribly wrong with the term itself, but its overuse is very aggravating when you notice it. JB has been the main culprit, but it has now spread to the likes of Garry Lyon, Howie, Richo and others. Every couple of minutes it's 'Geelong footy club', 'St. Kilda footy club'. Thanks for clarifying that you're not talking about the Geelong City Council or the St. Kilda Festival.

Listened to JB on MMM yesterday and thought he was brilliant. Very different to the Channel 7 act. I don't know if Seven tell them to be bland or they feel like they have to be, but free to air TV commentary generally sucks. Obviously you can get away with a bit more on radio, but does free to air commentary have to be so dull and boring, lacking proper analysis?
Yes, because on TV they have to be politically correct as it's a PG audience. The Triple M audience does not require family friendly content thankfully, the guys can be far more natural and are much more enjoyable to listen to

BT and Bruce are becoming unbearable together.
As joe444 said Bruce was so much better in the 90s.
I actually rate BT as a commentator when he's not trying to become a meme.
Mid 2000s when he was on CH9 and then when he went to Fox, it was peak BT. CH7 BT is a shocker.

BT and Bruce are becoming unbearable together.
As joe444 said Bruce was so much better in the 90s.
I actually rate BT as a commentator when he's not trying to become a meme.
Mid 2000s when he was on CH9 and then when he went to Fox, it was peak BT. CH7 BT is a shocker.
Pretty sure BT is taking the piss on Ch7, he knows Bruce won't pick up on it cos Bruce is a ******* weird campaigner, so he gets away with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“ If (insert gun interstate footballer) played in Victoria he’d be more recognised/lauded”. Drives me mad.
ABSOLUTELY. These comments are so disrespectful and amateurish. It sounds so backward and strongly implies that commentators are not doing their job properly by only paying attention to 55% of the teams in the competition. It's not as if every AFL match isn't available to watch and that there is a lack of information on each team in our national competition. It shows how lazy some of these commentators are and is also a very boring cliche.

Any time they use the phrase "candy"

I cannot believe that the powerbrokers at CH7 don't watch the broadcasts and cringe themselves.

Why is it that footy commentators HAVE to say as much as possible in as little time as possible at the expense of what is happening on the ground ??

FFS, just call the players names instead of trying to dress it up into something it isn't.

Last edited:
Bruce today: “I’m liking Cox”.

Been doing it for years. I’m sure it’s deliberate (pretend or not) homoeroticism
It's similar to the one that's crept in over the past couple of years for Bruce of "lovely long leg" or "we know he has a beautiful leg", meaning the player can kick the ball a decent distance (quite often when it's not even appropriate).

Now that Bruce is commentating from home, sometimes I swear he has pr0n on the other screen.
There would at least be some topless action

761211-cyril-rioli.jpg

Screamers - I am thinking Tony Leonard and Bruce Eva here...generally poor voices technically, made worse by having no craft. I remember reading a great article by Richard Hinds once on Rex Hunt. His proposition was that Hunt, over and above all the nicknames and tomfoolery, was technically the best caller because when it came to a crescendo-situation - usually an important goal - he under-called it and let the crowd reaction and hollering from the rest of the box take over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back