History Biggest election upsets in history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes indeed. And no-one would be a better authority than him.

That's EXACTLY the sort of condescension of the average working class person which will keep Labor in opposition FOREVER.

Yep, that bloke out there pushing pallets around a factory and that woman driving behind the wheel of a truck are SOOOOO in touch with Penny ****ing Wong!

Latham nails it.

If they vote in another disconnected twit as leader, then they are no chance again next time around.

Please.. none of the politicians are connected to the real public. ScoMo does a lot more acting to pretend he is but is as out of touch as the next person.

Please.. none of the politicians are connected to the real public. ScoMo does a lot more acting to pretend he is but is as out of touch as the next person.

Okay, voting is simply an exercise in choosing the least delusional. I can work with that.

That's EXACTLY the sort of condescension of the average working class person which will keep Labor in opposition FOREVER.

You don't get it.

Latham might have been an average working class person way back in his youth, but in his adulthood he wasn't exactly fighting the pigeons for something to eat, and he certainly was nowhere near working-class by the time he became the ALP leader (being well-educated, well-remunerated and being very much of the political class). Nothing has changed in that respect. Hell, I'm more working-class than he has been for many decades, as are the vast majority of Australians.

John Howard himself wrote in his autobiography that Latham was out of touch with modern Australia as it was in 2004, which is why I inferred that he was a 'disconnected twit' (so naturally he's an authority on such twits). Don't believe me? Here's an excerpt:

Unpredictable, Latham sometimes wrong-footed the Government. He built a convincing narrative
of the boy who had grown up in a housing commission estate in Green Valley, in the western suburbs
of Sydney, losing his father at an early age, going on to university and caring for his widowed mother.
He made great play of the 22-year age gap between us yet, as time went by, Mark Latham, for all his
protestations of modernity, would reveal old-fashioned class prejudices and attitudes increasingly out
of place in contemporary Australia.
He thought of Australia, particularly Sydney, as composed of
‘insiders’ and ‘outsiders’, roughly equivalent to the North Shore on the one hand, and Sydney’s west
on the other. His class bitterness spilled into Labor’s policy on private schools, with a hit list of socalled
wealthy schools which would lose funding under a Latham Labor Government. It frightened
many private-school parents who were anything but wealthy. Latham failed to understand just how
aspirational middle Australia had become.

Also, his alt-right views and his affiliation with One Nation aren't exactly representative of mainstream Australians.

For whatever it's worth, I agree that the working-class have become somewhat estranged from the ALP and that the ALP need to try and win them back.

Yep, that bloke out there pushing pallets around a factory and that woman driving behind the wheel of a truck are SOOOOO in touch with Penny ****ing Wong!

Where did I mention Penny Wong? I explicitly stated earlier that she should be nowhere near the ALP leadership.

EDIT: You might have thought that I was having a go at you in that other post. I wasn't; I was having a go at Latham.

Last edited:
You don't get it.

No, YOU don't get it.

The average worker couldn't give two stuffs about internationalist agendas and the emotional indulgences of middle class impostors.

Enjoy your spectating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back