Biggest hogs of all time ...

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling to think of any that haven't already been listed.

How is a goal assist actually defined? Could plenty of Boomer's goal assists have come when he was too far out to score? Rightly or wrongly, always seems like he has nothing but the big sticks in his eyes when inside 50.

Lucas wins the "hog from a longest distance out" category.

Close the thread, there aren't anymore name to add.

I saw Bartlett play live on many an occasion and I reckon he would of finished his career with less handballs than games.

At least do the joke right:

Kevin Bartlett: - AFL legend - 400 games, 770 goals, 5 Premierships, 5 Best and Fairests, 5 Handballs.

...................and 4 of them were at training.

Capper would be a shot wouldn't be? My only recollection of his playing days was that he'd take marks and kick at goals, except for that period when nobody would pass the ball to him anymore. Dermie was mentioning on SEN the other day that he reckoned Capper couldn't actually play footy at all - just mark and kick.

Phil Matera
KB
Scott Lucas
Brent Harvey
Ablett Snr

... and that Fasolo knob from Collngwood
Good list. You've pretty much nailed the five I was thinking of.

Paul Hudson was another hog who got the blinkers on whenever he got the ball. He used to frustrate me when he was at Hawthorn because he often missed and burnt teammates who were in better position. Then he went to the Bulldogs and became a dead eye.

Buddy Franklin (from 2007-2011) was another whose motto was: shoot first, acknowledge teammates later. In the past couple of seasons, he has changed his hungry ways and gotten pretty good at setting up goals for teammates. But you can see it's unnatural for him and takes every inch of his willpower to give it off and then force a smile afterwards.

Gary Ablett Sr must be at the top of the list of all-time goal hogs. I cannot remember him passing the ball to anyone. Every time he got the ball, he would take a few bounces or do a u-turn and have a ping at goal, no matter if he was outside fifty, on the boundary line or if he had teammates in the clear and calling for the pass.

Brad Johnson, Nathan Brown, Peter Daicos, Ronnie Burns, Darren Bewick... Boomer, Lucas, Lloyd, KB, Matera, Milne, Akermanis.... They're all forwards who loved kicking goals, they were good at it and that's what they were paid for, so why not?

Matthew Lloyd used to make me laugh the way he'd kick a goal and look so pleased with himself, even when Essendon were getting rolled by 6 goals with only a couple of minutes left. He'd get that chuffed look on his face, then he'd quickly remember it's a team game and he'd lose the smile, but you knew he was thinking, "Yes! You beauty! 5 goals today means I'm on 57 for the season, 3 clear of Fraser Gehrig in the Coleman race. Only 268 to go before I break the 1000 goal barrier."

I'll take a slightly different tack and choose a goal-hungry non-forward -

David King

Kingy used to love running with the ball and taking a couple of bounces. If he got within sight of the big sticks, then forget about leading if you were one of North's forwards. He would get the blinkers on and think of nothing else but blazing away at goal. And he'd usually miss.

snort_the_pig_playing_soccer_oc_pet.jpg

Mick Conlan was a good nomination.

Mick Nolan would be my nom. did anyone ever try to get a dim sim from him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some average nominations in this thread but Steve Johnson has to be the worst. This is a player that despite his mecurial talents prides himself on giving the ball off. In fact, he had a wager with Cam Mooney a few years ago on who could set up the most goals for team mates. Just to emphasise the point, Steve Johnson is the leading goal assist player of all time (well, at least since the stat has existed). He is also one of only three players to average more than 1 per game (the others are Breust and Rioli). I think his 'hog' perception comes from his tendency to try something unusual. Truth is, he could well be the type of player that 'tries his luck' or 'hogs' it (came across that way early in his career IMO) but the Geelong discipline and ethos to be team first has obviously been drummed home and if anything, Stevie J has over-compensated. Players like him are testament to the Geelong way IMO.

Brad Johnson
Steve Johnson
Kyle Reimers
Stephen Milne
Scott Lucas

Come to mind...
Just shows how little you know about Stevie J. He is anything but a goal hog and is involved in more assists than most, which at times is infuriating as you know he could kick the goal.

Kevin Bartlett owns this thread

I cant believe no ones mentioned Leon Davis yet. While he's not the worst I remember seeing, he'd be up there

Kane cornes.. I'm sure a lot of port supporters would agree. He constantly asks for the ball when he is in a worse position than his teammates. He then does a 20m kick so he can run on and get the handball receive. Massive stat paddr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back