Biggest impact for half a season! Paul Salmon 1984

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching an old replay from 1984 yesterday. Yes it is my way of "coping" with the present!

How awesome was Paul Salmon in 1984 ??? 63 goals from 9 games. Would have blitzed the 100 mark. Might have broken the 150 record too. He was too tall, too talented for everyone at FF.

Other contenders, Peter Knights & Phil Carman in the 70's. They had brilliant half seasons.

For hype & excitement, nothing comes near to the Krakouer brother's first few games in 1982.

he actually kicked 63 goals 36 behinds from 13 games in 1984 @ 4.85 goals per game.

Before he got injured, Plugger was incredible in 1988, I think it was.
He kicked about 80 goals in the first half of the season.
Just completely dominant.

I remember watching him kick 9 goals at the MCG vs Hawthorn.

St Kilda had no other option but "go long to Plugger". He was on his own in the forward 50m with Langford, Ayres and Mew all hanging off him, but it made no difference. He was the most awesome contested mark ever.

he actually kicked 63 goals 36 behinds from 13 games in 1984 @ 4.85 goals per game.

In '84 Salmon would have 7 goals on the board to half time, then Sheedy would throw him into the ruck for the second half.

He was more dominant than the stats show. (Stats mean jack....)

Some people obviously struggle to compute how many games half a season is!

Questioning my mathematical reasoning skills R+B? ;)

I'll spell it out

He had 78 goals in his first 11 games
he had 77 goals in his last 11 games

In '84 Salmon would have 7 goals on the board to half time, then Sheedy would throw him into the ruck for the second half.

He was more dominant than the stats show. (Stats mean jack....)

please remind me of the games he had 7 up until half time
:rolleyes:

Before he got injured, Plugger was incredible in 1988, I think it was.
He kicked about 80 goals in the first half of the season.
Just completely dominant.

I remember watching him kick 9 goals at the MCG vs Hawthorn.

St Kilda had no other option but "go long to Plugger". He was on his own in the forward 50m with Langford, Ayres and Mew all hanging off him, but it made no difference. He was the most awesome contested mark ever.

I remember the game. Not sure if it was '88 though. Hawthorn were the best side in the business but they couldn't stop him on that day. When he was on, there were none better.

It's funny you mention 93, because I remember the Cats tearing the competition apart in the last month of the season, only to just miss the finals because Collingwood couldn't beat Adelaide. And to rub salt into the wound, it was a shortened 20 game H&A season (the only one we've had in modern times), so another two rounds would have seen Geelong easily make the finals, and also the top 8 was introduced the following year! Geelong finished 7th in 93...

I really think your side would have won the flag if they played finals that year.

Yeh. So do most Geelong supporters, that's the problem.

I remember the last games against you boys at the WACA. That was, IMO, one of the best games of the entire season. And that year did throw up some great games. It was a real golden era for footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back