Biggest non-Grand Final Games of All-Time

Remove this Banner Ad

The first Coll v Ess ANZAC day game in 95 was massive and so was the crowd. When we rocked up to the G and got off off the train at about 12.30pm the queue for the Southern Stand entrances started just near the Richmond station - we thought wtf is goin on here... so walked around to the Ponsford Stand and the line wasn’t quite as long but still massive, so we just pushed right to the front of the queue and got in. About 10 mins later they said they had Locked the gates...this would have been about an hour before the game, the crowd was 95k. I still reckon there was about 20,000 people still trying to get in that day....and to cap it off the game ended in a thrilling draw.

Sydney vs gws 2012
It was the day the tide in nsw turned to football becoming the dominant force in nsw.

Since that day. Nsw crowds for nrl have been on decline.
That game was the death of nrl

That's bullshit mate. Nrl crowds have been, in comparison to historical levels, barely down since then.

I follow both codes - aside from actually playing league and not afl, I don't really have a leaning towards one or the other.

But league crowds are fairly steady and have been for some time. They will never match afl crowds. Does it matter if they don't? It's the fourth biggest domestic league on the planet ffs - and league still manages to get good ratings on tv. Afl will never match rugby league's small but still much larger international presence. And if you look back to the turn of the century they're actually significantly up, as illustrated below:

IMG_7009.PNG

Geelong v Hawthorn rd 17, 2008. The only comparable game in regards to hype and significance in the past decade that I can think of is the Geelong v St Kilda game the following year.

I think people may forget just how ludicrously hyped up this game was. Those two and the Bulldogs had barely lost a game all season between them up to that point.

All three were 9-0 from memory and the saints and cats both went about another month without defeat.

This game feels meaningless (in terms of a prelim) outside of who the clubs are.

Collingwood aren't a dominant force, Richmond are clearly a step above.

Big games need a long standing rivalry of two champion teams who are at the top of their powers meeting after a recent history of storied results.

This is just a match of the two best marketing teams in the AFL.

I seem to remember a St Kilda V Brisbane game in 2004? Rd12-13? Highly anticipated, big build up.
Yeah that one in R6 2004 almost rivals the St Kilda v Geelong game of 2009, but it seems to have been largely forgotten by the general public.

Just an epic game, after a big build-up, and the atmosphere under the roof was extraordinary (in front of an almost full-house of 52.5K).

We were the up-and-coming young team of the time (we'd beaten Geelong in that famous preseason GF between the two hot young teams on the rise in front of 50,000, then we followed it up by smashing them by 10 goals a week or 2 later, in R1, then we arrived at that Brisbane clash in R6 having won our 5 games for the year by an average of 44 points- putting us a game and 20% clear on top of the ladder) and Brisbane were sitting in 3rd place, and coming off their 3 flags, and there was the big build up of "the champ v the contender", and it was just a cracker of a match.

It went down to the wire, with Troy Schwartz kicking that long goal from outside 50 to I think tie the scores, and then Aussie Jones kicking that point that went right over the top of the behind post, that could have been just about called either way, but was given a point, and that's what we won by a minute or two later, 92 to 91.

Was possibly the most amazing atmosphere I've ever experienced at the footy, and I was also at the Geelong game in 2009, and have been to two GF's and multiple prelims. The crowd was just going nuts and it felt like the noise was going to lift the roof clean off.

A close game under the roof at Etihad with a packed house and lots on the line is just something else!

That game and the Geelong one of 2009 will stick in my memory for a long long time. Both experiences that you'd just love to be able to bottle from an atmosphere POV.

Last edited:
Hawthorn vs Geelong 2013 prelim.

This for sure

Hawks had finished minor premier that season and the season prior. But Geelong had an 11 game winning streak due to the 'Kennett Curse'

It was an odd year and Geelong were confident of the win, especially when leading by 20 points going into the last quarter. Their supporters were extremely cocky at the time and lots of question marks were on the Hawks mental resilience.

Enter a brilliant comeback from the Hawks and an ensuing 3-peat of flags

Geelong St Kilda battle of the undefeated teams is the greatest game of footy this century. You almost never see a match with that much hype deliver on it.
And it delivered. Was an all time classic from start to finish. The real deal.

The 1999 international rules series.

Big hype to see the best AFL players in the one team. That was before the series turned into something nobody cares about.

The 1989 state of origin Vic vs SA.

Dunstall and Lockett playing together ensured a 90k+ crowd. Tony Hall breaking teammate Andy Collins' knee in a tackle.

2009 St Kilda vs Geelong

Both undefeated streaks, the fact that Lyon's gameplan had them soundly on a mission, and Geelong were Geelong making up for the 2008 boilover. They had a rivalry which had been bubbling virtually since the 2004 Pre-Season final, even 2003. Delivered big-time. I actually rented a television for that game, as I was just getting ready to move and didn't have a television available at the time. You weren't a football fan if you weren't watching that match. I still remember what I was eating.

In hindsight, it turned out to be the last AFL game I ever watched whilst in Victoria. The only weekend I've spent down there since was the 2010 Melbourne Marathon (the week after the GF Replay).

Not on the same level, but:

The 2006 QF saw a historic rivalry delivering on the big stage. A lot of non-AFL people in NSW were watching those matches like Origin by that point (a lot of my "GayFL" friends at school talked about it on the Monday, the only other time I've seen that was around the time of Plugger's record).

The 2016 PF (Bulldogs-Giants) also a saw a few years rivalry deliver on the big stage, and the carrot was massive for both clubs. But from a Bulldogs perspective, they also recently had the 1997 and 2009 PFs of similar nail-biting significance.

Some of the Brisbane-Port and Hawthorn-Geelong thrillers have been hyped and delivered. The Easter Monday games have tended to be more hyped than the ANZAC games.

Last edited:
The 1999 international rules series.

Big hype to see the best AFL players in the one team. That was before the series turned into something nobody cares about.

The 1989 state of origin Vic vs SA.

Dunstall and Lockett playing together ensured a 90k+ crowd. Tony Hall breaking teammate Andy Collins' knee in a tackle.

The other way around. It was Andy Collins who tackled Tony Hall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1987 Prelim
Dees v Hawks

Dees needed to win their last 6-7 H&A games to sneak into the top5 back then. Last H&A round had to beat Footscray at the Western oval to clinch a finals spot. Won that game by 2 goals from memory to break a long finals drought. Smashed Sydney & North in the first 2 finals which no one other than Dees fans would probably even remember, but the Prelim against the reigning premiers Hawthorn was highly anticipated and ended up being an arm wrestle all day with the Dees in front right up to the very end before poor Jim Synes (RIP) stepped over the mark thus giving away a 15 metre penalty which put Buccy within scoring distance and the rest is history.

There's even more to the last H&A round. Geelong needed to beat Hawthorn to stay in the five as it was then. Melbourne needed Geelong to lose. With 90 seconds to go Geelong were 9 points up after being 35 points up during the game. Jason Dunstall kicked two goals to pinch the game away from the Cats and put Melbourne into the finals. With that win, Hawthorn would have taken top spot. But Stephen Kernahan had a kick after the siren to give Carlton the win, which gave them top spot. Their opponent was North Melbourne who would have got the double chance if they'd beaten Carlton.

A fresher Carlton beat Hawthorn in the second semi which was probably where the premiership was won. Melbourne were on fire in the finals and whoever played them were in for a fight. Rod Grinter delivered the hardest hip and shoulder I've seen to my fave player, Chris Mew. A beaten up Hawthorn meekly submitted to Carlton in the Grand Final.

There's even more to the last H&A round. Geelong needed to beat Hawthorn to stay in the five as it was then. Melbourne needed Geelong to lose. With 90 seconds to go Geelong were 9 points up after being 35 points up during the game. Jason Dunstall kicked two goals to pinch the game away from the Cats and put Melbourne into the finals. With that win, Hawthorn would have taken top spot. But Stephen Kernahan had a kick after the siren to give Carlton the win, which gave them top spot. Their opponent was North Melbourne who would have got the double chance if they'd beaten Carlton.

A fresher Carlton beat Hawthorn in the second semi which was probably where the premiership was won. Melbourne were on fire in the finals and whoever played them were in for a fight. Rod Grinter delivered the hardest hip and shoulder I've seen to my fave player, Chris Mew. A beaten up Hawthorn meekly submitted to Carlton in the Grand Final.

Ah yes, I remember all of those scenario's well, especially Kernahan's kick after the siren. Was flicking my radio dial from game to game that arvo. Dees were pretty banged up after the Hawks game and quite a few probably wouldn't have got up for the GF had they got over the line. Reckon Carlton would have won even easier against Melb than they did against the Hawks on that hot 31 degree GF day.

Unbelievable that in both years the margins in the QF were reversed in the GF, and I think the scores were as well. Crazy how good those teams were, people forget that.
I think several games in those couple of years were a goal or less.Can't remember two more evenly matched teams home and away and finals.

The 1991 Qualifying Final

1st: West Coast (19-3) vs 2nd: Hawthorn (16-6)

It was the first ever final played outside of Victoria

It was also the first final (other than the preceding 14 Grand Finals) to be televised live in Victoria.

The Eagles has top spot sewn up for weeks after going undefeated in their first 14 or 15 games and looking virtually unbeatable. So everyone knew long in advance they’d be hosting the Qualifying Final.

The build up and hype was enormous. The two clubs had played at Subiaco three weeks earlier (when Worsfold cleaned up Brereton with a huge shirtfront) and the Eagles won fairly comfortably by 4 goals.

Despite Hawthorn’s 80’s dominance, there was none of the angst and offended surrounding their success like we’ve seen in recent years after the 3peat. They carried the well-wishes of most Victorians as they flew across the country to take on the “unbeatable” WA Goliath. Nearly all of the footy fan angst was directed towards the Eagles. People just weren’t ready for these interstate interlopers to make off with our premiership cup.

The Hawks played like champions that day. It was one of the club’s finest wins. It was a see-sawing affair with never more than a couple of goals margin either way.

Brereton hurt his knee early in the game and as he was limping from the field and then carried off over the last 30-40 metres, the entire stadium jeered him and roared their approval at his misfortune.

This seemed to galvanise the Hawks. We had a batch of younger non-premiership players in that side and they all stood tall. Young ruckman Steve Lawrence played out of his skin and was best afield. Young forward Paul Dear played a huge game at CHF, stepping up into Dermie’s role (he would repeat the dose 3 weeks later and win the Normie) and young forward James Morrissey was a shock selection in defence where he tagged the mercurial Chris Lewis and fought a magnificent duel. Lewis got 19 and kicked 2, but Morrissey was far from disgraced and won a heap of important one-on-one contests.

Hawthorn ended up pulling away to win by 23 points, the largest margin of the day. The Eagles crowd was stunned into silence as the ‘91 premiership race was suddenly turned on it’s head.

I remember watching it on TV and being so tense during the game but also so proud at how well they played, answering every West Coast goal with a goal of our own and shutting the crowd up every time they got their “Eagles! Eagles!” chant going.

I also remember how stoked the neutrals were on talkback radio the next day as they congratulated the Hawks for defending our “Victorian pride”

There was a lot of media hype as nobody really expected us to win.

It was a new type of finals experience for me and other Hawk fans and all the neutrals sitting at home. And also for the 40,000 rabid West Coast fans in attendance.

It was the dawn of a new era for the national comp

Last edited:
Sydney vs gws 2012
It was the day the tide in nsw turned to football becoming the dominant force in nsw.

Since that day. Nsw crowds for nrl have been on decline.
That game was the death of nrl
That's bullshit mate. Nrl crowds have been, in comparison to historical levels, barely down since then.

I follow both codes - aside from actually playing league and not afl, I don't really have a leaning towards one or the other.

But league crowds are fairly steady and have been for some time. They will never match afl crowds. Does it matter if they don't? It's the fourth biggest domestic league on the planet ffs - and league still manages to get good ratings on tv. Afl will never match rugby league's small but still much larger international presence. And if you look back to the turn of the century they're actually significantly up, as illustrated below:

View attachment 559967
Correct, AFL isn’t even close to being top dog in Sydney and it never will be in any of our lifetimes, as you said it’s never been high drawing because they have a different culture then the southern states, they still watch it religiously and pubs are absolutely packed out to watch it especially the leagues clubs when that particular team is playing.

2017 prelim between Richmond and GWS. 95,000 in there with at least 90,000 richmond fans, noise was unlike any game I’ve ever experienced, when lambert kicked the opener and then dusty the first of the last quarter the noise was just out of this world. The biggest one sided crowd the game has ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back